xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k2wl

What Do U Think About Slackware 10.1 best linux distribution around.. :)

hi everyone,what is your favorite linux distribution? Here is my experience with linux and its operability.i have started using linux nearly 2 yrs ago.... first distro i have use is red hat linux 9it is good one and i have good experience with it.in last two years i have used almost every major distributions namely1.red hat 92. fedora 2,3 and lately 43.suse 9.1 personal and suse 9.3 professional4. ubuntu 4.10 and 5.04 5. peanut 9.16. mandrake 9.1,10 and 10.17.free bsd 5.2.18. knoppix 3.2 and 3.69.xandros 2 and 3 OCE versions10. debian 3.011.ELX biz desktop 4.012Mepis 3.1.....and some others i even dont remember those names.and recently my friend gave me SLACKWARE 10.1 as a new linux user though i have used it for 2 yrs i used to fear about the source based distributions like Gentoo and slackware etcbecause i used to have in my mind that these distributions will be so complicated and i didnt know almost about any command line tools to install softwares in linux.so i used to avoid them. but last sunday when my friend gave me slackware 10.1 i decided to give it a try.so in my hard disk i made linux partition 11 GB and swap of 500 MB from my windows os using partition manager. i have put the slackware cd in cd rom drive.after rebooting it boots into slackware installation. i have choosen the all option in that installation method with graphical desktop.the installation strated and i have amazed with the speed of the installation. it is so fast even though it is in text mode and no graphical mode. as installation progress is says me to put second cd in rom to install packages but i do not have it so i have aborted the instalaltion and reboot it and see for the packages in 2 nd cd on internet and 2nd cd contains kde and gnome.so i have decided to go without kde or gnome. so next time when i have boot for slackware installation i do not select the 2nd cd packages and installation completed in just 15 min.after that i have boot into command line by default when enter in my slackware os for first time............i dont know anything what to do now ....it ask me for user name and password and it welcome me with a some wonderfull quote on that screen. so i have reboot it again then i go in my windows os and search for slackware documentation. i have found a book on slackware on slackware site only i have downloaded that pdf and read it where i have found that slackware has to be configured before u boot in graphical environment.so i go again in slackware and execute the command xorgconfigit gives me questions to answer for configuration..... i have answered the properly......and at last it ask me about writing xorg.conf file to the designated directory.... i oks it and now i hav come back to command line.....here i put a command startx..........................VOILA...........i have boot in XFCE as my default x environment.but it is not enough i want my KDE back so i have downloaded it from internet from kde.org. i have downloaded kde 3.4 latest from windows. slackware has automatically detected my windows partitions and auto mount them also.one more thing about slackware is that its package management has tgz files instead of typical rpm or deb files.and after booting in slackware again i have opened a terminal go to kde directory where i have downloaded the packages........ and started insalling them............in slackware here the package is install by command installpkg from xterminal.so i first install kde libs then kde base and kde artwork libs and then install all packages one by one and reboot the computer....................before i tell u further i want to say that the slackware contains almost every library module or src package that u need for installing any package. but as a golden rule, slackware packges [tgz] almost do not have any dependancies at all. it does not give u the bloody hell errors of other deb and rpm linux systems that u do not have that and this.....so when i rebooted i have run the command xwmconfig to change my default desktop environment. and i have changed it to kde. when i give command startx it gives me error that qt 3.x libs are not present and kde will exit so i have downloaded them and install them and start kde again and kde is started so smoothly and fastly that i must say that it a fastest booting kde i ever seen.......previously i think that only in red hat or fedora it boots fast.so i m in my kde having all the utilities that are with other linux distributions.i have use my kppp to connect to internet and look for the max speed it is 1 -2 kbps more than other linuxs and also than windows.i have use other utilities in kde which open very slow in other distributions like mozilla browser , browsing the computer for files..........everything is so smooth and fast that i fall in love with this linux........i also used the updating tool that i have downloaded from net it is also good but it is a cammand line tool. but it is a old saying that "you are slackwarian then life is good" and i feel is is really right.and i must say that this is a distribution one must try.what do u think share ur experiences here..............bye take carekaustubh lanje

I like slackware, but I prefere Debian. debian has much more powerful tools for software management. Slackware contain 'dependency hell' which happen when dependencies does not meet. Tools like apt-get or even emerge(from gentoo) sort that out for you. Urpmi(from mandriva) also does that. You have to find dependencies by your self with RPM, but at least it tells you what it needs.