xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ps2online

Ashes To Ashes? (old Hard Drive)

I had been having trouble getting "Enter the Matrix" to run decently. Other games like Doom3, Half-Life 2 and Escape from Butcher Bay run on high settings on my system and still get around 50 FPS, there's no reason why Enter the Matrix should be so friggin' slow. So I emailed Atari about it, and one thing they suggested was downloading this driver uninstall program to completly remove all traces of my ATI card and then reinstall it. So I did that, got the card reinstalled, then disaster struck. Everytime I tried to play a game, that "vee-clunk" sound that my computer makes whenever Windows blue screens, would be heard and the game would freeze. Unlike a regular bluescreen, it wouldn't reboot or show TBSOD (the blue screen of deathg). If I rebooted, it would then do the same thing as soon as Windows tried to load. It would load in safe mode however. So I did a repair on XP, didn't fix the problem. So I reinstsalled XP over top of my current install. Didn't Help. So I complety formatted my C: partition. Didn't help. So then I formatted my entire primary hard drive, rather then just one partition. Didn't help. But, along the way, I notied that games installed on my secondary hard drive would not freeze. So, I removed my primary hard drive and put an old hard drive in instead. Installed XP, installed my MB drivers and my graphics card drivers and it still hasen't frozen. So, does this mean I should be calling tech support to arrange a burial service for my hard drive? It is pretty old, in fact it's the only original part from my first computer I got about... 4 or so years ago. Could it be possable that the driver uninstaller program killed it somehow, or was it just the straw that broke the camel's back?

;) higher settings need more money..:Plook you played like hf2,doom3,other or bf2?haha.it's no use reinstall the graphic card driver if your computer bought 2 years ago,you need upgrade your computer,just paying 1 time money for it you personal computer could be a play station i think.

Well, that "vee-dunk" sound you have described, sounds way too familiar. I think you are right, when you assume your hard drive died. It is fairly difficult for an uninstall program to cause such damage to hard drive, but, it possibly is the last straw, that caused your hard drive to die on you. That sound you're hearing, is hard drive attempting to power up, and position it's heads to start position, but for some reason, it can't... Maybe the electronics died. If you can find the exact same model of your hard disk, maybe you could replace the PCB on the back, and that would bring your drive back to life... Maybe, just maybe...But, my best guess is... Rest in peace, old hard drive...

yeah kiss that hard drive good bye ****takes it out back and puts a bulllet into it***.

Hi ps2online,The "ve-dunk" (OR "ker-chunk") sound is the drive attempting (unsuccessfully) to move the read/write arm to the correct spot over the disk. Gallahad is correct that if you could find the EXACT same drive you could (possibly) replace the PCB board & get your data off it..otherwise ...sorry.. it's probably dead for sure. ;) For future reference.. when a drive starts to fail (intermittantly) all sorts of "weird" BSDs & lockups can happen. You didn't kill it though by re-installing drivers or re-formatting...it was just it's time to go..sad but true :o:P RGPHNX

hard drives producing some clicking sound certainly is in trouble, and this is most possibly your problem, with the cost of hard drive cheap now you better purchase one rather than contacting support, that will be their suggestion anyway :)