xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icylady101

Website No No's Things a GOOD website SHOULDNT have

I totatlly agree with the animated images. . . too many can be too much. . . but if its a tacky animated gifs, liek the ones found here Animation factory ( i.e. SATANS TEMPLE), i just run as fast as i can from the site. Most common around ppl new to webdesign, who loo kat these free animated gifs and think

"oooo that animated image wud be great for my site, it looks professional becoz it moves. . . . but i dotn hav a reason for it. . . never mind! I'll stick it on on the bottom!"

Too many animated images make the site loook tacky and think people would rather spend their time fiddling around with them rather than putting content in the site. I also don't like websites where they don't update for 6 months or so and then suddenly decide to do a major update :)

Point 2 is fun.. d0000h sure the scrollbar value's don't have to be all in the same color!!!! And the n00bs that do so...

They are to stupid to have anything usefull to say so you should leave the website immediatly....

By the way, w3c hasn't acknowledged changing your scrollbar with CSS! (so it is INVALID). (and firefox ignores it!)

If your custom scrollbare doesn't look that great, don't use it. Keep the background simple, don't have complicated designs or multicolor or really bright backgrounds. And make sure it doesn't interefre with your text. I have a big image on top of my site but it's only like 30kb and it fits in with the background. I'm too lazy to make the "real" top logo to replace the one I have.I put up my site way too early, before I had any "real" content (still isn't any, MAYBE later today). Don't make that mistake, don't have an empty/under construction site. People usually won't return.

I totally agree about having too many animated GIFS I don't usually place animated GIFs in my sites at all because they take away from the content that you want visitors to see. In my opinion the only reason you need an animated GIF is for a site banner, a forum sig, or an advertisement.

i totally agree with everything above! Animated gifs are so annoying! I see tons of sites having those, i think they are fine for like aol homepages but for like sites with content and everything it is really stupid.something else that annoys me is that some sites put VOTE 4 ME links everywhere! sometimes on the main page they make the voting page popupit is really annoying

yeah too much animation get can hurt people's eyes.. because its constantly blinking haha it just hurts my eyes (my opinion) you dont havta agree with me soo yupp thats so true too much animation isnt attracting :P

I once encountered a very very good designed website and the idea is really cool but what turned me off is the backgroubd music that the owner has, I say c'mmon, most people do not have the same type of music you have, if I wanted to listen to music then I would rather play MP3's in Winamp, what make it worst is that he did not put any option to stop that looping annoying music.That for me is one of the most annoying thing I can see on a website.Also for me again..simple is beautiful