xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Compute

The New Aol/aol Browser. Your Thoughts.

Hi all i'm new here and currently I have SBC yahoo dsl. I just wanted to know would anyone recommand me AOL? I heard its a horrable service but if thats so why do so many people use it. Also has anyone used the new AOL IE browser. does anyone know if its secure for spyware and things like that.Thanks look. Also can anyone tell me where i can post questions about the hosting?

hi compute, i dont know who told you AOL service is horrible but they couldn't be more wrong. Aol is by far the best there is if you ask me, they help detect problems on our comp and either fix them for you or tell you how to fix them.they offer free firewall, free virus protection, and free spyware protection too.i have never had a problem with their browser ever and i have been with them for 5 years. I'm not sure if SBC yahoo dsl is cheaper than AOL but if it is, i think its worth it all the way.

I heard its crap and dont recommend you to use it and for your question about why alot of people use it , thats because it is very cheap and lots of people take the lowest price they can get espically if there parents are the one paying for it.

well as I am in India and we dont have AOL here so I am not sure about there ISP service but I have heard a lot of negative comments about there browser.It seems to me that whenever they come up with a newer version of their browser they only get negative comments about it.I think they are competing with Microsoft in "WHO IS GETTING MORE CRITICS THESE DAYS" ;)

;) wow so many people hate AOL? i have never had a problem with them at all.the browser works fine for me never had a problem.

AOL is great but only if you live in America. I don't think that many people from other countries would love this program. Anyway I think these services are great for AOL users and I salute their program. They did a good job. They also have the MESSENGER program which is very cool too.

here in mexico the aol service was horrible ... so horrible that the service disappear ... hehe ... when they first entered to the mexican market in any magazine you buy a cd of 1 month for free of aol sercice was included ... the became trash in a short time beacuse the service was a little tricky ... you installed the service and the browser ... and when the month passed the application never tell you that you time expired ... even you cancel it ... in a period not longer that 2 weeks some papers were sent to your house and that was you contract and that your service is already runnig .... what happend to me was ... i installed the service ... i never can connect ... the same day i uninstalled it a cancel the service ... 6 months passed and some papers were sent to my homa that i had to pay 60 dolars of a service that i never use ... then the case was sent to the juridic department .. then ... one day they phoned me and i told them ... ill not pay cause i dont use the service ... the lady told me ok sr ... sorry ... and end of the problem ...thats the sad story of aol in mexico ... thanx god they disappear ... and man ... that browser was horrible hehehe ... i dont know if someone really use it ...awful unusefulmessywhat else do you want of an ugly browser hehehe :)

:) wow so many people hate AOL? i have never had a problem with them at all.

the browser works fine for me never had a problem.

180099[/snapback]

i also dislike aol. its not worth its price at all! you can get a better email address for free. and if its chatting your worried about you can get free download of aim at aim.com and get free netscape account with it! thats a lot better then paying $30 (or more) a month.

and if your not into netscape because it doesnt hold enough emails for you just go to gmail it holds tons!i must have 1000+ emails of spam on my spam account.

Aol cant even receive most emails :) so if you are looking to get an important email you cant get it so i wouldnt go with it at all total waste of money in my opinion

Other than AIM, AOL sucks, for reasons I'll state -

Firstly - They falsely lead their clients on, thinking they provide free firewalls and virus protection. True, they do just that, but not one that rivals (in any capacity) the Norton Antivirus & main players in the Firewall/Security game.

Secondly - It's Slow. Now, I understand it's dial-up, but even their DSL is slow. I used their service (Dial-Up) when my company was in a budget crisis. We WERE paying $75 a month for a Hi-Speed Commercial connection. It got out of hand quickly (when they say $75, they mean $86 - before 'taxes and fees') So we switched to AOL temporarily. That was a REAL crisis. True, we saved money, but we wasted valuable man-hours waiting for pages to load, information to be sent, etc.

Thirdly - Their browser is over-functional. Yes, there is a such thing as OVER-FUNCTIONAL. When you include all the 'utilities' they do into one; Resource hogging program, it really puts a hurtin' on ya. It takes forever to load their browser, pages load too slow (as a result of it's resource hogging) etc.

Hence ends my rant - Don't use AOL, please.. I beg of you

Panda

My view is that so many people use AOL because AOL markets their product very well, so all these people do not know that anything else exists. Even AOL broadband is terrible; I know several people who have tons of random disconnections using AOL (broadband or otherwise) while I, who use SBC Yahoo! DSL, am rarely disconnected, and if I am, it is likely to be due to a power outage or my own wireless networking equipment. I used AOL for many years because it was the cheapest, but now SBC has increased DSL speed while making it cheaper at the same time, so I firmly believe that everyone should say goodbye to AOL for good!Does anybody else agree with me??

yeah aol blows and it is not cheap at all especially dial up users i cranked up a $1400 with aol/another isp, lets just say no one was please to see that phone bill, and all that junk mail you get as well thats just stupid, i say stay with high speed internet its cheaper then dial up do to the fact that oyur not connected to a phone line.thus AOL BLOWS AND YOU KNOW IT :P