xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cumar11

Voip/google Talk VOIP/google talks

google talks new and bteer than others.google talk is a VOIP, and media likes to call VOIP a telephone even it is just a email witha voice, they add dial tone to the software to make it like a real telephone and most media people should know that a dial tone is doest not make peace of sofware into a telephone , how can you call it a phone when you can't call to other real phones.

I haven't checked out Google Talk. I used to use a service several years ago based on VoIP, however, that allowed a person to call a real phone from his computer using an internet/phone switch gateway. Google doesn't have a gateway?

Hmmm.. Now let's be fair about VoIP.As you guys know Skype is currently top provider for free VoIP voice calls, and now comes with GoogleTalk which is still in Beta, let's rate fairly between the services in terms of voice quality, bandwidth and tranmission, ease of use etc.I'm using Skype for VoIP and it has been serving me well for some time without problems. I'm very satisfied with Skype for its voice quality and no lags. I'm not sure about GoogleTalk, maybe some guys may share it here...

skype is great...i used it on windows, but now i am just using gaim from linux...and this has support for most messenger services, i.e. msn yahoo icq and gmailtalk...but unfortunately, you cannot use a mic and talk to people using this software...but i think tey may add this feature soon, because it is very much needed nowadays...people working from home on linux boxes trying to make conference calls etc...there must be some standalone software for linux that allows you to do that any but so far, i havn't found it. I mya try skype with WINE, but i doubt that it will work...

Here's my 2 cents on whole deal. I love google and I love gmail :P, But right now Googletalk is very basic. I downloaded it in my computer programming class and I must say, Presentation is very good. The call thing is cool, but anyone could tell that it is still very beta. I mean, I tried to put my away message up and it said I was away but when my friend im'd me, his im's still went through as though the away status did nothing. Then I tried to block him, and it did nothing as well. The email buttons don't work yet either. But after they finish it, it wil be quite the Instant messenger. Very promising indeed.For now, I just use Adium on my mac. And I have googletalk on jabber :P So that works for all my gmail buddies that want to talk to me. Adium is like gaim for macs, for all of you that don't know. Adium and Gaim allow you to run all your instant messaging services such as Yahoo, AIM, googletalk, Jabber, MSN, and etc all in one easy-to-use program. ;)

I've never used Google Talk except once or twice at a friends house and he didn't have a microphone so I couldn't test out the voice over IM CLient Feature. I just typed like a regular IM client would do. BTW is skype totally free?

...  BTW is skype totally free?

221710[/snapback]

Yes Skype is totally free for PC-to-PC calls only. You may conclude that there are other alternatives such as Google Talk, MSN and Yahoo voice conversations being around so why Skype. For it's voice quality and encryption technology to it's data sent over the internet, the users experience minimal lags and voice is heard as if it's immediate and real time. MSN voice conversation I don't think is quite possible for such quality often. There are lots of noise in the voice conversion when I used MSN to talk to my friends.

You can find out more it Skype's features here and what makes Skype product superior voice quality.

https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

Definately you will fall in love with it. And probably you will replace your home fixed line phone with just using Skype PC-to-PC calls like what I'm doing now..