xisto Community
andrescasta

Can't Install Wireless Pc Card

Recieved a replacement notebook pc for my Compaq that died (under extended warranty). PC is HP ze 4145, AthlonXP 1800+ 512 mB RAM 40 gB HD. Tried installing my Linksys Wirless G pc card. OS locked up during driver install. Had to power down to get out from t he lock up. On cold reboot with wireless card inserted, I get a boot loop where XP just starts then reboots, Never even make it to the welcome screen. If I pop out the card, boots fine. HAve worked with tech support form linksys for hours to no avail and tech support from teh replacemetn company no help either. Have tried a new PC card and no difference. just got another notebook today in case it was a hardware problem (same exact model) and the same issues. IF I install the drivers with Task Manager up, CPU usage shoots to 100% during driver install and stays there. Cycles all used by "system" (not system idle process). As soon as I pop out the card, CPU usage drops to 2-6% ANy ideas?

Hi andrescasta,From what you describe..about the only options are:> a bad wireless card(s)..test a different brand card ...OR > bad drivers.... download new ones ...OR> a program "incompatibility" (ie. missing OS program/update) ..check the cards requirements in the documentation.Hope this is clear.RGPHNX

Hello i had a similar problem, but i have more information, my wifi card is a DLINK G650, mi lapptop a ZE4145 a fresh installation of xp sp2, when i open internet explorer and surf a pair of minutes my system hang up.Fisrt i disabled the NIC card (when i use the wifi is useless for my)then i saw that the wi fi card is sharing the same IRQ with the sound card (IRQ 5), now i disabled it and i am testing if this solve the problem....If i not wrong the should'n be shared by two devices, but the xp said that there isn't conflicts.......Kservice

Make sure you have XP SP2 installed and the latest updates from windows update, they have a lot of changes to the wireless systems.Also if you are installing from the provided CD from Linksys, I would suggest downloading and installing the latest drivers from their website, the CDs are usually months older.

Sounds like either one of two things has happened. First, was the NIC a PCMCIA card that went bad causing your origional PC to mess up? And two, are there any driver conflicts? I would open up SYSTEM under the CONTROL PANEL and look under HARDWARE / DEVICE MANAGER and look for any exclamation point symbols ( ! in yellow). If you see any, there is a conflict or problem with that a device in your system. If that doesn't solve the problem, I would update ALL drivers. (Even if it is new, it may have been on a shelf a while.) Hope this helps you in some way. Best of luck. :angry:

You could have installed a wrong driver that is incompatible to Windows XP, hence the operating system is unable to regcognise your hardware when you insert it into your PCMCIA slot on your notebook computer, causing it to restart continuously upon boot up or system halt otherwise. Install an updated and correct driver will solve the issue. Check out from Linksys website for the dedicated driver for your wireless network card. Also, note that there are different versions for the wireless card hardware that you have on the Linksys website as the wireless standards are a little different between Europe and Asians. Hence, you will need to get the correct website. If you do not know how, you can reply this post with your wireless card exact and full model number and the country you bought your wireless card. I can help you to find for the correct link to correct driver version for your wireless network card.If you are sure that it is not the driver that is causing the problem, then it could be that other drivers installed on your system are somehow similar in terms of similar driver source codes. Other drivers on your system, which may be installed for other network hardware, may crash with the driver for your wireless network card when your wireless network card is detected, hence caused the system halt. Ensure that other drivers are also installed correctly and they are not the cause for the problem.If all fails, try using another wireless card on your computer. The current wireless card might be physically damaged. You can borrow your friend's network card, which uses the same G-standard technology, on your system. If you are able to connect successfully with your friend's wireless card, then yours might be having a problem. Likewise, ask your friend to try inserting your wireless card on his/her system. This should verify your wireless card workability.Also, make sure that your firewall is not the cause of the problem. I recently had blue screen of death (BSOD), which I had not encountered before until I've swapped firewall to Outpost Free Firewall from Norton Internet Security. Outpost Free Firewall sometimes produce BSOD and halted my system which left me no choice but to do a cold reboot. This problem was the cause of the improper programming for Outpost Firewall. It was patched in the paid version but not it's free version. I'm using the free version hence I'm still encountering this problem as and when I plugged out my wireless network card. Therefore, you will need to ensure also that it is not the cause from the firewall you have on your system.

You should try re-installing Windows on your machine. Then try to install the drivers. This time, don't put your computer under any stress while it is installing the drivers. It is just not a good idea to begin with.