xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

Windows Xp Sp1a Eeek...

;) I installed it without the uninstaller. In the middle of the installation, it said it was loading the processes, and suddenly, a sudden burst of lags occured. The memory slumped, and I'm guessing it stopped installing. It was still responding, but nothing seemed to happen. I closed it and rebooted. I looked at the System Properties and saw that Service Pack 1 was there. Odd, I didnt finish installing it. Now it's screwed, I think. The computer is insanely slow, so I used one of the earlier System Restore points. I was able to get through it faster. Should I reinstall the SP1a to overwrite the erroneous files? I was using a memory hungry program while installing, then it lagged. I won't use memory hungry programs the next time I install it.What do you guys think?

See if you can uninstall SP1 from your Add/Remove program first. Then reinstall your SP1. When you get to your MS update site, you have to reset your configuration to "trick" the update manager to install SP1 again. Otherwise the update manager will not give you the option to install SP1. The correct steps currently elude me. I'll post with details when I find out, unless one of our abled PC master/mistress posts it first! ;)

I think you have to go into Add/Remove and click on Windows Options or something, and remove SP1 then go to Microsofts website and download it again. You can download SP1 without using Windows Update and I think it has a 'repair' option to fix a failed install, you could always try that.

guangdian... I don't understand you... :P Like I said I installed it without the installer, which means at the start of the installation, I didn't use the archive files option. I wanted to save space.Actually I reinstalled it yesterday, and it ran smoothly, thank goodness~! ;) Thanks for your time guys, it's a good thing that it didn't have to re-download the files it got from the site. It just installed it again, whew. :P So if anyone faces a similar problem, just remember to reinstall it.