xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Amezis

Preventing People From Copying Your Javascript

Well, I've just made a great script, but I'm sure that it will be copied if I don't try to prevent it.Firstly, I know I can disable marking, means that in IE, people cannot highlight the text to copy. Also, it's a form using this script, and I know that in Firefox, you can omit the forms tags (works in Netscape too and all other gecko browsers). However, if people are downloading my site (right-clicking the link and selecting download), they'll get all the scripts anyway.I've seen a site hiding their script (they was also using a form, but when I tried to visit the site the form linked to, I got just an 404 error message), and it was almost impossible to find it. That's a script I want :D Hope you understand what I need, and that you can help me :)

Have you tried using EXTERNAL Javascript. Using external javascript is not completely hiding your script. The problem is, even though you hide, members still can access their browser cache and find it. However, it very well keeps the noobs at the corner.The next thing is, you can use a PHP file to output the javascript and you can validate the calling page. If your calling page is right, the javascript is passed, else something else would be passed. However, no matter what you do, anyone can still get the script from the browser cache. This method, which I told you is one of the best ways to hide scripts because anyone who types "path to your script file" will not get the script since the php script validates the calling page.I had however, seen one page which ENCRYPTs the Javascript. This used some function to encrypt the javascript. And then it was put in the page. Before the javascript was executed, it de-crypted it and executed the code.

So people cant steal your scripts and read em and all that, just go and ecrypt em. CodeLock has a trial. I don't know if after that your scripts stay encrypted or if they get decrypted and look normal. But it would work. And people would only see jumbled up letters and numbers and signs. There is also zend. I think that is what it is called. The zend one is supposed to be better than CodeLock. I have heard CodeLock is easier to decrypt. And what Snard did was had a database set up. And for the scripts to work he had to add your website url to his database and the scripts would than work. And if he removes the url than your site will not work. I dont know any of the code or anything for that, but it would work. And before he adds anyone, he has them pay him 30 dollars because he worked on them and ain't giving em out for free no more. But ya. That would work.

Well, okay, but does encrypted JavaScript work on all browsers where JavaScript is enabled?

Also, well, I'm really new to Javascript. External JavaScript, is that a code like this?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;
If that's the case, then I suppose I could just link the form to it:
<form name="formname" action="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

Good to know all this new ways of hiding and ENCRYPTING javascript...it will be good if you guys can pointed out to any example.It will be very very helpful.Thanks

As said before, though, there are always ways of getting the scripts. Also a lot of the easier ways (disable right click, disable highlight, etc.) don't work on good browsers.But the thing about Javascript is that pretty much everything that can be done has been done, so someone could probably just go somewhere else and get a similar script.

yeah that is the best way to prevent stealing of scripts is enternal linking it but of course sometimes all you have to do is save the website and the script is their, well sometimes.