xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
flamette

Google Brings Up Other Search Engines

It's very natural that google is able to find other search engines. Try searching for "Yahoo", "Ask Jeeves", "AltaVista" etc. or simply "Search Engines", Google will just list them directly. It will only be impossible if it doesn't.I don't think so, if you are trying to say that Google search is based or leeched from other search engines. Gmail is also based on Google search engine for searching for a specific email, so it couldn't be based on a foreign search engine.

I think he is talking about the results that show up in google which are again SEARCH ENGINE result pages.

Well, its not the fault of google. Suppose you have a large site. And you want to give a link to all the information regarding "web hosting". So instead of putting the links to all the pages, you can just put a link like

http://ww38.yoursite.com/search.php?web+hosting

In the above url, I have assumed that you have a search engine script and passed "web hosting" as arguments. It is nothing but entering web hosting in search box and hitting the submit button. Well, The result of such a link is all pages in your site which have information regarding web hosting.

Many people do this. And some people who want to help their users by giving them information in the form of links related to any topic, put such type of links.

Now when Google BOT comes up to those pages, it is not able to make up, what type of that link is exactly. If the search engine used in such a link is Yahoo or Google, it can easily make it out (since google, yahoo, msn etx are big search engines) However, links which are pointing to an internal search engines cannot be recognised by google and hence the results of such pages are indexed by Googlebot.

The next thing is, since such pages usually have your SEARCH KEYWORD in every listing that too with many hyperlinks, they get RANKED very high and hence they show up in the search engine results.

I hope this answered your question.

Well the web had done their best for you, isn't it?I think that it depends on your search word for eg. you want to find "movie", you do not put word "movie" in you have to be more specific. Put something like "lord of the rings" of something like that.But still if you are going to another search engine and still put word like "movie" in they will still give you the same result as google do:)

I aggree it is very annoying, not so much even the yahoo, or msn results, but the ones that are there to make money like landing domain results, they look helpful, but really only are payed results, just more people who want to get rich quick with the internet. I believe those are the results refered to as SPAM, google tries very hard to keep these results down at the bottom of the list, but I believe they don't do it manualy so it is only by a series of rules that this happens so it is bound to take some other sites down with them, and then that makes those people mad, and results in google not making to many of those result altering changes very often!

why it is annoying for you to see other seach engine in the search engine ranking pages? It's nothing wrong about that ... It just shows up some popular and good search engines ... because other seach engines too have a high pr and good amount of backlinks ... it's impossible for google to ignore them ... if google really ignores them ... then the search engine itself is biased ... and guess what ... people start to move to other not-so-biased search engine ... it's nothing wrong about that ...Yahoo and msn also bring up other seach engines .. so what is so annoying about that ? Well, it's kinda weird if someone use a search engine to search for another search engine using the keyword "search engine" ... :)

Yea, it's really annoying when you're really trying to find something and you think that you got it but the page is one that of another search engine. Usually these are unknown search engines whose links don't have anything to do with what you are looking for. I agree, it is very annoying, but it's not Google's fault.

Hi:I think the first results that google showson the right are ads that peopel pay for. I don't know if these are search engines, but advertisements. It brings in revenue for Google. The advertisers pay, and they get their name seen. I am not positive of this though; just my own theory.Sunkist

This mostly happens with listings for pseudo-search engines that are masquerading as the real deal, who allow advertisers to pay to get their results to the top. The URI contains the search terms you may be searching for, so Google sometimes ranks them for that result. Often they get dropped from Google's index - but not always.If you don't want to encounter these sites, it might be worth looking at the URL which Google displays at the bottom of each result. As OpaQue mentioned, they are usually something like x.com/search.php?search+terms - so if you see such a URL, you can simply ignore it.