xisto Community
Effin

Forum Software

my lad has forum based on helping people with forum design / modication problems.
check it out , see what you think.
http://www.staff-lounge.com/

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Niloc, you post below was deleted as it was copied from staff-lounge.com. Even though you own the site and you say you wrote it there, you must quote it anyway!

Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

There are some others listed here:

1)PHP-NUKE

Description:

PHP-Nuke 7.9 Final version. This version includes a new variables validation and filtering system more effective and more secure, potential security vulnerabilities generated from the wysiwyg editor has been fixed, BBtoNuke 2.0.17, added banned IP edit function, improved search module internals, quotes and double quotes are now supported on all parts of the system, wysiwyg editor can be totaly deactivated from config.php file, users groups fixes to properly load the members modules, several fixes in the advertising system and many more. Additionaly PHP-Nuke version 7.8 has been released for free to the public on the downloads section.

You can download it for free from:

https://www.phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=Release

2)CPGNUKE

Description:The new advanced content management system from the CPG-Nuke Dev. Team.Dragonfly CMS includes a better photo gallery, forums, and a lot more from an easy-to-administer web interface.

The default core contains modules to manage:

Bulletin Board

Members

News

Photo Gallery

Private Messaging

Sponsors/Affiliates

Groups

It also contains an advanced statistics module that monitors how many visitors you have on a hourly basis and which browser and operating system is used.

you can download it for free from:http://dragonflycms.org/

POSTNUKE

[PostNuke Features]

General:

- Modular Structure

- Customized Functionality through Third-Party Modules

- Advanced User Group Permissions System

- Multi-language Support (Approximately 36 Language Packs Available)

- Embedded WYSIWYG HTML Editor Activated on Most Text Entry Areas

- Site Search

- Advanced API (Application Programming Interface)

- Focused on High Level of Security

- Easy-to-Use Guided Browser Based Installation

- Easily Change/Customize Your Site's Look/Feel Through Plug-in Themes

- Provides advanced content management features while promoting collaboration, communication and community around the content.

A Short List of Available Modules

- News Publishing

- Content Management

- RSS Feeds

- Voting Booth/Polls

- Banners Module

- Comments Module- allows other modules, including Downloads, Web_Links, News, and Reviews to attach comments to posted content.

- FAQ Module

- Forums Module

- Member's List

- Private Messaging

- Ratings Module

- Recommend Us Module

- Reviews Module

- Sections Module

- Stats Module

you can download it from:http://www.postnuke.com/

I myself like only 4 Forums :-

1.a. phpbb

By far my favorite forums as it is very easily customizable and the one im most comfortable with... The best part about this type is that even a newb could get the hang of it..The fact that it has Awesome Mods is good too lol..

1.b. PhpNuke

This is only for those wanting a website and being inexperienced with html and Microsoft Frontpage.. Its just like a website which can be customized easily having forums on it aswell which are just like the phpbb ones..

2. InvisionFree

Probably the 2nd best board because phpbb and PhpNuke are almost the same..Invision is very easy to use if you want a basic forum.. Making a customized one requires a bit more understanding and experience though..

3. Vbulletin

I think this may be better than Invision but i havent used it enough to give a definative statement..Ive used it on other boards though and im very impressed by the features so id Rate this at number 3..

4. Proboards

As the saying goes - "Last but not the least".. Never really liked them that much but they are too widely used to be ignored.. Ive only seen 1 "good" proboards forum that was made by a friend..Takes time to get used to..

I also like Invision Power Board, but it's so expensive, and I can't afford it, so I'm stuck with phpBB... But it's heavily modded, and have almost all the features that are standard on Invision Power Board... B)

phpBBIts not good and secure forumInvision Power Boardit must be free Vbulletinnice forum , i think Vbulletin is easy and nice forum with good support . Vbulletin forum has good security ,but i dont know why people love ipb more Vbulletin ?

I've just tried a demo of ipb and I want to tell you that it's GREAT! It's more easily modded than PHPbb and has more feature without modding! I've used SMF and it's "quite" good, it doesn't have an attractive "default" theme and the admin panel is alittle bit confusing!

My preference goes to vBulletin; it has the nicest interface, is very fast, and esay to use.2nd pick goes to phpBB, it's also fast and well organized, but it has quite limited features.IPB took last since (at least on Xisto's servers) it's quite slow, and it has loads of stuff to learn.Note: I have not ever really run a forum, so don't decide what forum you will use based on my opinions.

Me looooove invision especially the latest version ;) . Its super customisable and the I can spent all day just staring at the Admin CP <sigh!>. As for vBulletin, its good too but a price tag of $160. <Dropjaw> You gotta be mad to buy that. Mainly the big boys play with it but IPB is equally good and for less price. As for phpBB well, it does the job but its comparing it with vB or IPB is like comparing notepad to Word. But hey its free and you can gett literally tons of support and mods/skins for absolutely free! Plus, its open sourse which means play time for all you coders out there.

I've been seeing alot of topic and stuff that say "What forum should I use?" I''m sure you've asked yourself this question(if you have a forum or plan on making one). Ao, I am going to review every forum software I have used for reference.

Burning Board: I have used this forum awhile back. I must say it is a pretty decent forum but it costs money. It is not worth the money though. Especially when you can get a better software like IPB or vB. Not much of a review but it should help.

Burning Board Lite: It is a free version of burning board. I used this once. I had problems installing and problems with the admin. I would not recommend this to anyone. Especially with all the other free boards out there.

EKINboard: Ekin is probobly one of my favorites. It looks similar to Invision Power Board but, isn't much like it. It is rather new so it is lacking a few features the other bigger forum softwares have. But that doesn't bother me too much. My favorite part of this forum is the Admin Panel. It is easy to navigate and is much different than other forums.

Invision Power Board: I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this board and has had some expierience with it. If not goto http://www.zifboards.com/ nd try it yourself. Pointless review. :D

myBulletinBoard: This is another one of my favorites. It has a nice ACP great community that offers excellent support. It is also pretty simple to skin and has a look similar to vBulletin with a better feel. Check this one out. :D

phpBB: Used to be my favoirte buy I am kind of starting to stay away from it. It is pretty plain but fast and easy to use for beginners.

PunBB: This is a nice simple lightweight board. Great for those who don't need all thos extra features the larger softwares offer. Skinning is extremely easy. They have a site where you fill out hex codes and it fills in the colors for you and gives you a code. So if you are into/need a lightweight board, defientyl go with this.

I'll add more to this later.

177230[/snapback]

you should also add smf thats a forum from simple machines