xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whatknows

best linux distro for servers and desktops

I was just wondering what people's concensus was about this. What is the best distro for a web server, and why? I have heard people rave about Debian's stability. What about others?What about desktops? SuSE is looking really good these days, but I haven't anything other than SuSE, Mandrake, and Knopix. Suggestions?

You probably would not want to use Knoppix for this, because it installs a host of software you will never need for a web server. When it comes to Linux, I would vote for Slackware. You might also want to reconsider your choice, and use OpenBSD, FreeBSD or NetBSD which all make excellent servers.

I guess most distro's are good for it aslong as you use stable packages (so not the bleeding edge).debian (woody that is)slackwareredhat gentoo All good for server purphas imo A server does not need to have a gui so you can keep it nice and small (configuration can be done by console or webmin) (btw bsd != linux)non-linux and best for server imo (free that is)freebsdBut the distro you use is not that important you can set all linux distros the way you want so to be honnoust there is not a reall best linux distro for webhosting imo. It all lays in your handsI used, debian, slack, redhat and now I have gentoo as workstation aslong as you use stable packages you will be fine :rolleyes:

The best distro for desktop and novice users is MAdrake cuase comes with a lot of software and drivers, usually u can use all the hardware in the PC (even winmodems) and came with a lot of utilities to configure the PC very nice.

If you are redy for learning and have good internet connection try gentoo (by the way, I am waiting for it, should get it tomorow and instal it in a couple of years <_< )If don't try Slackware or Debian, for desktop I like Mandrake, but can't say that others are bad.

well for desktop use i would recommend gentoo (stable packages) if you have already a little knowledge of linux or fedora if you are more of a beginner and simply want a nice-looking,stable system up and running.you get very good support for gentoo under https://www.gentoo.org/ (i haven't had a problem that they couldn't solve so far or that wasn't already solved)for servers i would recommend debian sarge. here you have quite stable system with a whole variety of software...

red hat is best for servers, and slackware is best for desktops. slackware has very little on its operating system so it runs very fast. red hat is good, but on the contrary unless you download it, you have to pay for it.

SUSE LINUX works for me https://www.suse.com/ It self installed and found all of my hardware and cable connection right away. After using it for a few hours it was clear that it was hands down better than what we have all been using up till the present time. It may take most folks a while to become weaned from old habits, but that time has come. Having seen and used lots and lots of systems and configurations, I would vote for Linux to take us into the future. With the next generation of chips, we will be seeing the OS being offered on the chip instead of on disk. The monopoly days are coming to an end. I started using computers when the IBM 360 was king. The only input was via punch cards. And if you can remember, we went to the moon with the 286 format computers.

This is IN MY OPINION

Best Linux Distros for users (desktop, not server): SuSE Linux, Yoper

Best Linux Distros for Servers: Fedora, RedHat Linux, Turbo Linux

Worst Linux Distros for users (desktop): Slackware, Mandrake Linux, Turbo Linux

Worst Linux Distro for servers: Yoper

Best Desktop OS overall: Linux, Macintosh. SkyOS

Best Server OS overall: Linux, Windows

Worst Desktop OS overall: Windows

Worst Server OS overall: Macintosh, SkyOS

Best OS overall: Linux

Worst OS overall: Windows

xboxrulz

*EDIT: November 8, 2004: BSD IS A TYPE OF UNIX, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LINUX!!!!*

what about redhat? by the way, debian is less vunerable to security issues but has no very much compatibility with hardware, I think... Redhad is my choice of linux distributions for small servers, and office servers...