xisto Community
melkonianarg

What Is The Smallest Usable Os a.k.a. DSL

Interesting.. though i prefer knoppix, it still has a very small size and lots of more features than DSL.

Almost 700 MB isn't exactly VERY small, is it? :P:P
Hehe, Knoppix is indeed smaller than the full size OS' of today, but saying that it's "very small" wouldn't be too accurate. ;)

What's the point to get the smallets Usable OS? In my opinion you should be asking for the best smallest Usable Operation System because as some people said DOS... Who in the hell still uses it? Only special guys... but not normal ones... so... I would like to see the best smallets Usable OS in a topic name one of these days... Thanks... I still believe it's one of Linux Systems.

Still not seeing the point -These 'small' OS'es, what kind of GUI's should they have? And if you're not DL'ing it for ease of use, then what's the point?What kind of built-in programs do they have? Because mainstream progs won't work. And if you're planning on using your own, then what's the point in having this TINY OS, and .rpm's bigger than the actual OS?As far as Linux goes, install SUSE 9.2, and keep pimping.Panda

:P Well, I showed my dad DSL, and he was amazed. So he'll bring home his Linux CD from the office. He even bought me a Linux book to get started. It's a good thing we have 2 CPUs here. The other one retired because its monitor broke. I'm using this Pentium 4 one. The old CPU is P2, not bad enough for Linux. Guess I'll just share the monitor then... Those small OS are handy for a lot of occasions and can be used to lean more about Linux. I like it! :( I plan to use Linux soon in the future.

I thought there was somethingl like a non-graphique version of linux ? you can place it on 2 disquettes ? I don't know the name of it ... Else I would say DOS :P it isn't that big :P lol :( anyway Grtz

i thought you meant like a os that was based off of like windows. The oldest windows 3.1.1 that came on a floppy was not that much at all but you cant do anything on it so there is really not point in having it now a days. The linux seems to becoming a little more popular but it still has some issues that it needs to take care of not to mention the linux os that they just updated crashes periodically and the verison before that was perfectly fine. Even so linux could make a big jump in the next couplr of years. Windows is becoming way too common and all hackers go after windows first.

How about a single floppy Linux distribution? Try hal91:
http://jspiro.tripod.com/linux/hal91.htm

It can run on a 486 processor that has a math coprocessor and on any newer PC... It requires no hard disk because it stores itself inside the RAM, but after you restart/shutdown your PC, all the changes are discarded... Unfortunately, this OS is pretty minimalistic (but what do you expect from a 1.44MB Linux distro from 1998?) and it is not very usable... It can only mount FAT filesystems by using the mount command, so it can be used as a "rescue tool", but still it's a better idea to go for the good ol' Windows 95/98 startup disc :P .

Hal91 hasn't been updated since 1998! So it's a good idea to try some alternative mini Linux distros instead:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

thats is so damn cool! only 50 mbs, but which one do i download? there are quite a few, who actually use it here? is it good? how do i run it on a pen drive? and is a p3 computer compatible? thankswow! can i use my usb wireless with dsl?thanks

50Mb is not that significantly small. Of course you can burn it on a CD, but since a CD carries 700MB of data, I would rather choose an OS of a bigger size, Knoppix. I have been running Fedora before playing with Knoppix. Knoppix is quite handy and is mostly enough for everyday purposes. There are also many good things about it, say, you can copy the whole image to RAM if you have 1GB of RAM, like me. It runs amazingly fast that way. There is a 4GB version of Knoppix, which includes many more applications. You may also try that out. I always wonder why my Win XP would take more than 3GB solely for the OS. Its codes are not efficient anyway.

Well, there is one thing that is needs to be cleared out here...Which OS is actually usable?You can write documents in Windows XP, Menuet OS, DSL Linux, SUSE Linux, Fedora, Slax etc.But...You can't listen to music in Menuet OS. You can't do any serious writing without e.g. OpenOffice on your DSL Linux installation. You can't run SUSE nor Fedora on slow machines. You can't compile new programs on Slax without an add-on module. You can't run Windows XP as an online server.So, what is "USABLE" anyway? Every OS is usable, but only if you FIND it usable! Want a distro that you can install on your old and slow PC? Use DSL!Want a small and flexible live Linux CD? Use Slax!Want a very small OS that can let you take a peek inside the world of assembler? Use Menuet!Want a complete Linux distro to use at home, work or to install on a server? Use SUSE or Fedora!If you want to play games and/or do video editing, or if you are a beginner, use Windows!So, every OS has it's good sides and bad sides... It's up to you to choose what is usable and what's not. Make a list of your demands and expectations from an operating system and choose any OS that you find fit!

Smallest Ubuntu derivative available for downloadWhat Is The Smallest Usable Os

ADMOS-Lite - A beautiful fully graphical minimalistic (really smallest as compared to other Ubuntu derivatives) LXDE based distribution. An unofficial project with similar goals to the official Lubuntu project. Its only 308mb. The best part is it has 100% free software only. A good choice for people with slow internet speed. Visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to get a hold of this distro. 

If you want a solid OS like Ubuntu but you are unable download that 700 mb iso then ADMOS-Lite is probably the most suitable alternative for you.

-reply by tamathecool