xisto Community
Spiderx9

Im So Lost.... someone guide me

OK so im returning to the web site scene from about 4 years ago....i used to do my websites using notepad and good old html. yeah well i returned found this good free host and wanted to post up some of my writings (short stories, poems and stuff) online....thought ill make a simple <html> (my text)</html> site......WRONG!! im so lost right now i dont know where to start......i have no idea what's going on...all i want is to post some text online...i mean i want it to look nice and stuff so i got dreamweaver which i dont know how to use either...but yeah....anyone can point me where i need to go or tell me what i need to do?

You can use WYSIWYG editor in your cPanel.But if this will make it easier for you, use these tags into your notepad.

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"><title>New Page 1</title></head><body></body></html>

And just insert whatever you want between the BODY tags. From there, you can jazz it up with FONT tags, IMG tags etc etc. Don't forget to change the TITLE tag. Name it whatever.htm or whatever.html both works. If you want to set it as your main page, name it index.htm(l).

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Got better idea for you:

1.Go to https://www.phpbb.com/
2.Read how to install and run this forum
3.Download it
4.Upload to you site :)
5.Run them
6.Post (like here) evrything what you want ..

Using forum you can put evrything what you like and gain comment from others users in easest way :D 5 years ago you can only dream abount solution like this :D

--------------------

Practice is when evrything work but no one know why.
Theory is when work nothing but evry one know why.
Programmers join Practice with Theory - nothing work and no one know why :D

That's bit complicated but a good solution, indeed.

By the way, phpBB is already installed into your cPanel. All you have to do is go to the Pre-Installed Scripts section and install phpBB. You don't even have to download or upload anything.

And I was under the impression that Spiderx9 wanted to

...all i want is to post some text online...

By the way, phpBB is already installed into your cPanel. All you have to do is go to the Pre-Installed Scripts section and install phpBB. You don't even have to download or upload anything.

176175[/snapback]

But the phpBB in cPanel is not up-to-date, so there are quite a few holes and such in there.

Spiderx9, BuffaloHELP provided a very basic HTML template. All you have to do is add text between the body tags. You can dress it up anyway you like. W3Schools has very good tutorials on starting HTML.

There are many great html books outside, I've come to know and learn about html through books, and they really helps alot.. Some of the good books are dummies books or you can go down to your local stores or libraries to check on them and test them out... The important things in html is just the tags codes and so on, then you can continue learning php...

ok you guys dont understand.........i know or remember a lot of the html schooling i had those years ago. What i need to know is where do i enter it......i dont know how to access the place where i edit my site....all i see is php this and sql that...and email mangement and stuff.....no editer

If you want good and cool looks for your website, try searching for templates in Google.

Here are some...

Free Web Templates
https://www.freewebtemplates.com/

Free Site Templates
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Steve's Templates
http://www.steves-templates.com/

Microsoft Web Templates
https://templates.office.com/?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=f67f98f9-d35c-46cb-9a25-7e9ea7940589

You shoudl have just say how do I edit the codes and php and html of the site, then we'll all know the answers to your questions... :)

It annoys me to see how many people claim that a PHPBB or IPB forum is a site - it's not because it's a forum. Forums and sites are different. < /rant >Anyways, I'd recommend spicing it up with images and CSS once you get the hang of editing it. It was a doozy when I started because I didn't realize at first that you had to put files in the public_html/www folder to have it work. But I've learned now :)Also, once you get more content on your site, it's important to make sure the code validates (check that up at validator.w3.org!) - just grab yourself a doctype and whatnot and you're set to go!Other than that it looks pretty good. Although I prefer left align instead of center align...ah well :D

Okay,well.you just ever learnt the HTML,so there isn't any hard the dreamweaver for you,just got the dreamweaver mx,flash mx,firworks.yes.they are good web tools.you will be like the visual tools.and i always think a good site must be with photoshop and simply html.you learnt all of this,then you can start with php language.guangdian

Alright folks I designed a little layout of my own. It's really simple but i really like it. Only problem i have is some reason the top frame wont resize according the the size of the window.....That's really annoying. Anyone know how to fix that?

Is it possible to do a "width="100%" attribute within frames? If so, you can try that. However, I prefer a div/CSS menu. Check out A List Apart for some nice menu tutorials :)

Wow that looks great!! I will bookmark that and maybe come back to it if my site grows as much as i hope it will, based on content(my stories). If my site does end up growing big and lots of people go to it then that will be the next upgrade.:)