xisto Community
Fun4TheMoney

Summer Slump PLEASE SHARE

July and august are the worst months of the year for making money online. If you know anyone who's getting discouraged by poor sales and poor traffic, please let them know that this is just a seasonal slump. It happens every year. In the US, the majority of Internet users are young. They're active singles, active marrieds, and active parents. During the summer months, with long days, beautiful weather, and the kids out of school, these millions of people leave their computers for the great outdoors. Almost all of their time and extra money go to vacations and home improvement projects.When the days get shorter, the weather gets colder, and the kids go back to school, these people will bring their money and come back to the Internet. Over the past several weeks, I've seen autosurfs struggle, a new marketing program put on hold, eBay sales drop, and message board postings drop off to almost nothing. Many of the people running these programs don't live in the U.S. Some of them are "down under" where it's winter right now. They might never consider this "summer slump" and think they're doing something wrong. Please spread the word. After Labor Day (the first Monday in September, when the kids are all back in school) business will start to improve, gradually. The shorter the days and the worse the weather gets over here, the better things will get for traffic and money online.Am I just guessing about this? No. I was an eBay Power Seller for 3 years. During the school year--September through May--our sales averaged $3,000-$5,000 per month. June, July, and August our sales dropped to just barely over $1,000 per month every year. Now, I don't even bother listing anything during these months. It's not worth it.That's all I have time for--gotta go outside and play. :)

Notice from Klass:
Everyone Please Read & Share is not a good topic description.
Edited by Klass (see edit history)

Well... You're right (unfortunately)!The summer does mean a great decrease in sales... But not in all cases! I'm working on RentACoder.com, and I'm not noticing any decrease in activity at all! People WORK here especially during the summer! No school means more time for coding! (kind of like a part time job) Only a few of the "regulars" on RentACoder are on vacation (people who do this for a living)...So, sales have not decreased that much! Only the buyers choice of merchandise is different! Your buyers are still there, but they are not really in the mood to buy new computer hardware when they are on vacation! However, try selling them some stuff that they can use on their vacation (waterproof casing for cameras, memory cards for cameras, mp3 players etc.) and you may get results! Some people (like me) go crazy for computer stuff at any time, while others buy them because they have to! During the summer, they can take a break from that, so they will rather buy a beach ball from you instead of the newest model of the AMD Athlon 64 processor :).Still, you can't avoid the usual summer slump! People are spending more money on their vacations and that means less $$$ for us :D ...