xisto Community
CopperZepher

How To Create A Phpbb Fm Create a Fully Modded forum.

1. Well once you get the file onto your computer, your going to need an FTP client. I suggest Core FTP, just do a Google search for it, and theres a free version, which I use, and is just great.

2a. I'm guessing you already have an unzipping program to unzip the file you're downloading, so we'll skip that step.

2b. Go to http://phpbbfm.net/. On the left side, e little below the top, click on the Zip link, which will download the file. Unzip the file you just got.

3. Once all the files have been unzipped from the main file you just got, find the folder that you unzipped all the files to. It should be name pretty much the same thing as the big file you just got.

4. Rename the folder to whatever you want. The one I use is "base" because the name of my forum is "Shadow Warriors Base of Operations", for this online game I play called Darkthrone. You will probably be happy to use a folder name such as "forum" so when your users go to your site, it will be easy to remember. Also, whatever you name this folder, will be the folder name of your forum. For instance, this forum, they use "forums" I think you get the point.

5. Now open your FTP program, and enter the details of your login, which you should get via e-mail, these include the FTP site, which may be a series of numbers, like 111.11.111.11 or something like that. Or if you don't get any numbers, just use ftp.YourSubDomain.YourHost.com or whatever your site is, with an "ftp." before it. Now enter your username and password, which will most likely be with the e-mail that hass all the numbers and stuff.

6. Once connected, (I'm assuming your using Core FTP, but most FTP programs are very similar) use the left side (windows) to find the folder that you renamed from step 4. And just find it, don't open it or anything. Then on the right, there should be some folders, one of them being "public_html", open that folder. If you don't have that folder, PM me, and I'll explain more.

7. Now that you are in the public_html folder, go ahead and drag the folder you renamed, over to inside the public_html folder, it will start to que up files, queing takes only a minute or two, but transferring for me can take up 45 minutes to an hour. Now if you want to take a break, go for it, the FTP program should do all the work from here.

8. After your break, head over to the CPanel, that comnes with your account. Use the same username and password that you used to sign into FTP.

9. Find the link called "SQL databases" or somehting that has "SQL" in it. Probably "MySQL Databases". Click on the link. Now this is kind of confusing, but bear with me. Your going to need to add a database, call it "forum" and click "Add Database". the databse will then be called "YouUserName_forum" remember this.

10. Now go back to the part where you made the database. And find the two boxes together, one being username, and the other being password. This is where you are going to make a user for your database. Just enter "forum" as the username, and use whatever you want for the password, but remember the password. Click "Add User".

11. Now your going to assign the user you just made, to the database you made before. Find where it says "Add user to database" and there should be 2 drop down menus. One of them, being the user, and the second, the database. Don't worry about all those checkboxes, it should already be set on "All" for you. In the first drop-down, find "YouUserName_forum" and then in the second one, do the same thing. And click "Add user to database".

12. Now your done with CPanel. When your files have been transferred over, open a new window of whatever browser you use, or a new Tab (Ctrl + T) if you use Firefox. Go to your website. Which should be like YourWebsite.YourHost.com or whatever, but after that, add "/forum". This should take you to the installation, if not, go back to your site, and add "/forum/install/install.php"

13. Now you have the installation page open. For Database Name, and Database User, enter "YourUserName_forum" and the password is whatever you set it to be when you made the user. Then go down, put in your e-mail, the Username you want to be your Administrator (I just use "Admin"). And the password you want to log in. These will be your username and password for your forum. Make sure all of the fileds are entered, leave the port and all that alone.

Just do what it says here. Now click Next, or Install, or whatever it says. Then a new page will open, if you have errors, PM me, if not, click Finish.

14. Now go back to your FTP thing, and on the right, the one that is your website, open the folder "forum" or whatever you named it, and delete the folder "install". Now go to your website plus the "/forum" and log in.

Your all set!

15. Somehting you will need to do, is in the Admin CP, click on the plus next to "General" then click on "Configuration". A new thing will pop up, and click on the plus next to "Cookie Settings". Make sure the cookie

domain is ".xena-free.com" IT MUST HAVE THE "." before xena-free.com Then change the cookie name to whatever you want, no spaces. This step makes it so people don't have to log in twice to your forum every time.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, as I am on pretty much every day. Just tell me what step you are stuck on, and where in the step. I hope this helps. And By the way, a phpBB FM is a phpBB forum, but it comes pre-modified, so you don't have to mod it yourself.

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Nice tutorial, don't double-space line

breaks like this all the time because it make

it harder to determine when the end of one point is.

Double-line-breaks removed.

Next time you create a list please use the [-list-][*]Point1 [*]Point2[/-list-] tags. More bbcodes here -_-

Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

CopperZepher, this is absolutely a wonderful Tutorial. I finally made my Forum with no problem! Took only 3 minutes to Install it.. THnX for your Tutorial once again. The Problem i had mainly was i didn't know where to put my phpBB2 Files.. And the other problem was the SQL Database.. Now I am OK with everything! ThnX to you!

HI , Im new to Xisto . But i have seen the config this hosting offers . I really wonder Y would some1 try THIS hard to INSTALL PHPBB ?? wierdYou have something called FANTASTICO ( in cpanel = which i wonder if ppl even peep into ) just go there , That is one soft that i really lookout for , in almost all hosts . This thing , lets u AUTOMATICALLY install all OPENSOURCE ( free ones ) softwares . :rolleyes: using that , you can create a phpbb in SECONDS

Then if i want to put google adsense in to every page of my phpbb forums, what is the script needed to do it.

You may want to go over to the phpbb.com community forums and see if they have a mod for the google adsense inclusion into your forum. Or try phpbbhacks.com. Both of those sites have good stuff. Then come back and post the answer here so all of our members have the answer. That might be helpful to the other members here at the Xisto.

You may want to go over to the phpbb.com community forums and see if they have a mod for the google adsense inclusion into your forum. Or try phpbbhacks.com. Both of those sites have good stuff. Then come back and post the answer here so all of our members have the answer. That might be helpful to the other members here at the Xisto.

Yes i will surely post the script if i get to know how to post adsense in the forums.

HI , Im new to Xisto . But i have seen the config this hosting offers . I really wonder Y would some1 try THIS hard to INSTALL PHPBB ?? wierd

You have something called FANTASTICO ( in cpanel = which i wonder if ppl even peep into )

just go there , That is one soft that i really lookout for , in almost all hosts . This thing , lets u AUTOMATICALLY install all OPENSOURCE ( free ones ) softwares . :huh:

using that , you can create a phpbb in SECONDS

This isn't just a regular phpbb though, it's fully modded. Which I think is a great idea, since everytime I try to start up a phpbb I end up screwing the whole thing up because I try to add to many mods on my own.
Edited by brandice (see edit history)

a FULLY MODDED version has PRE-INSTALLED HACKS and MODS ... the version that comes with fantastico .. doesnt have any MODS installed ... so ul have to install manually and .. sum1 askd how to PUT ADDS in all pages .. easy Go to forum/templates/skin_name/header_global.tpl ( or sumthin like that ) ... open that with DREAMWEAVER .. its just a plain HTML page .. u can edit al the stuff there .. player ur adds there .. else also .. u can edit other pages like showtopic.tpl or index.tpl ( or sumthin like that . .. dont remembe the names though .. all TPLs )

Great tutorial only problem is that i cant access ftp :) im finding it hard to connect and have not had any luck, can anyone at all help me?

what ftp program are you using? i use core ftp and have had no problems uploading to Xisto. it only asks you for your url, account name and password and you're in. first, i suggest setting up an ftp account through your cpanel. if your lazy like me and don't feel like doing that, you enter your url and the same account name and password you enter to log in to your cpanel in to your ftp program. also, i believe sometimes you need to start your url as "/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi; but seriously, i've had no problems using core ftp. it's free, easy to use, and fast in my opinion. you should look where you can download it off google, go to the download site and download it.

......or just upload all your files through your file manager after you log in to cpanel. it just sucks to log in and go to that area every time you want to upload something when you can just click on an icon from your desktop to do all that for you