xisto Community
heavensounds

What Is The Main Difference Between Religions?

Well, I think that all the religions of the world share a few similar and most important concepts! There is no religion that would try to convince that doing BAD is acctually good and vice-versa. I think the main difference is in the word that is used for some sort of divine being (god, pure good, alah, whatever u name it...) that represents the highest good to all of them. I think that a mountain is a very good example to explain how these religions are connected: There are inumerable ways to the top of the mountain and each of this ways is a certain religion but all of those paths lead to the same top and all religions basically aim at the same goal - do good, avoid evil and practice compassion - this is the basis of all the religions around the world!What do you ppl think??

Yeah, I agree with you. They fight, there is war because of religions, but at the end...they all have the same goal: The all price, praise, honour and obey God, or whatever you want to call it. The only bad thing about it is, they don't listen well, and they don't read the 'book' well... 'you must not honour other gods' doesn't mean: 'kill all people (even children) if they don't obey your God'That's really sad..

i think that all the religions are agree that they should be ruled by the nature law "Do Good and stay away from Evil" even thought the world "Evil" can be translated in different ways... but some differences are that most of the religions don't believe in the Virgin Marie, as a Virgin they say that she had other children because of a passage in the Bible that says "Jesus, here is your mother and brothers" or something like that, also some religions say that Jesus was only a Prophet a great prophet but not else, others don't believe in the saints, others don't have the Eucaristhic sacrament, but anyways that's the differences i've noticed

Yes i agree all religion should have something about being good and not bad. Actualy my religion teaches me to kill those not of my religion. just kidding. In my dreams! I'm buddhism. I don't mind other religions. Just i hate when people tell my religion is wrong and all that. That's just rude. I believe in God and whatnot.

... but some differences are that most of the religions don't believe in the Virgin Marie, as a Virgin they say that she had other children because of a passage in the Bible that says "Jesus, here is your mother and brothers" ..

174830[/snapback]

Only I will commet on the point of Virgin Mary and will post later in responding to the whole question of the difference between relegion

First St Mary gave birth for Jesus while she is very young [14-15 years old]and she gave birth while she was engaged . So if there is brother or sister from St Mary then they were after the birth of Jesus. That the logic says So this phrase don't disturb the virign's birth.

The Christianity and and Islam teaching that Jesus come without human father so reconises the Verigin's Birth. Juadism expect that coming Christ will come from virigin't birth.

But it is argued that this brother and sister are not real brother and sister . May be half brother and sister all not related brother or sister. To simlify this point assume two men A and B A's biological fater is the step father for B.. But they considered brother even thogh neither their biological mother or biological father are the same.

This was general case just in case you will not endoresd the following story from the history or the tradition. They tell us that Joseph the carpenter, the spouse of Mary was married and begot for himself four sons, namely, and two daughters. Now these are their names--Judas, Justus, James, and Simon. The names of the two daughters were Assia and Lydia.The wife died and Now when righteous Joseph became a widower.and St Mary, was already twelve years old. For her parents offered her in the temple when she was three years of age, and she remained in the temple of the Lord nine years. Then when the priests saw that the virgin, was growing up, they spoke to each other, saying: Let us search out a man, righteous and pious, to whom Mary may be entrusted until the time of her marriage; lest, if she remain in the temple, it happen to her as is wont to happen to women. Therefore they immediately sent out, and assembled twelve old men of the tribe of Judah. And they wrote down the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. And the lot fell upon the pious old man, righteous Joseph. Then St Mary was sent to Joseph to be with him till the time of Marriage . And Mary found young son James of Joseph very sad on account of the loss of his mother, and she brought him up. Hence Mary was called the mother of James.. And after the holy virgin had spent two years in his house her age was exactly fourteen years when she was conceived.When Joseph found virgin Mary pregnant, he thought of sending her away secretly.He could endure neither to eat nor drink that day and at mid-day there appeared to him in a dream the the angels Gabriel said to him: Joseph, son of David, fear not to take Mary as thy wife: for she has conceived of the Holy Spirit; and she will bring forth a son, whose name shall be called Jesus. ...And Joseph rose from his sleep, and did as the angel had said to him..

Well, Ravi Zecharias actually writes the book Jesus Among Other Gods to show the differences between Christianity and other religions :)

I would say some of the differences are that Christianity says you can find eternal life through no merit of your own, it isn't about what works you can do, but about Christ's finished payment on the cross. You gain eternal life merely by repenting, trusting in Him alone, and accepting Him as Lord of your life.

Another thing, it deals not with beliefs but with relationships. Christianity is not about demographics but getting in a right relationship with God through Jesus Christ and then growing in that relationship.

Now for some of the stuff Ravi points out in his book. He points out that unlike almost anyone in history, Christ not only claimed to be sinless but He also challenged His greatest enemies to find any sin in Him, and they could not do it. Another thing Ravi points out is that Christ did not come to build a worldly empire but one of the hearts. It's why he said His kingdom was not of the world, and why His followers did not fight to protect Him. Even Napoleon realized this great truth, that His kingdom is one of men's souls, not of worldly armies or forces.

Also, Christ could have tried to start Christianity in Egypt where He'd once lived or in Rome where they were more partial to multiple deities. But instead He chose to do so in a nation that would be more firmly opposed to the idea then perhaps any other in the world. Cries of blasphemy and attempts to stone Him were commonplace wherever He went.

Ravi also points out that not only did Jesus teach or expound His message, but He was identical with the message. He not only proclaimed the truth, He claimed to be the truth. He didn't just show a way but said He was the way.

Another thing, Christ didn't attribute people's circumstances to mistakes they'd made in past lives or current lives or that anyone else had made. In John 9 when asked why a man was born blind, Christ answers that it was so the work of God could be displayed in His life. Christ also associated with those society most devalued. Prostitutes loved Him because He showed them compassion and treated them with dignity, yet He utterly denounced the self-righteous.

Also, the fact that He not only prophesied that He would die, but that it had been prophesied hundreds if not thousands of years before, and then that He rose from the dead while being witnessed by hundreds of witnesses, is not something emulated by any religion. Christ was not a teacher only, but reknowned as a prophet and a miracle worker by the masses. He didn't do His miracles in a corner either, nor His teachings, He did them even before the leaders of the nations. Because of this, in Acts 26:26 Paul says that even King Agrippa must know of such things, precisely because Christ did work publicly. These were not things which even the rulers could deny.

Also, Christianity says that evil is real, the world is real, and time is real. Because of denials of such things other religions like Buddhism and Hinduism which teach reincarnation have some highly insurmountable problems, as Ravi points out.

Here's a quote from page 122:

But above all, Buddhism faces a truly insurmountable problem.  If life is cyclical and there is no beginning to the incarnations, why is there an end?  How does one have an infinite regress of causes, if there is a final incarnation?

Philosopher William Lane Craig reminds us that an infinite regress of causes is like trying to jump out of a bottomless pit.  How do you start if you never reach the bottom?  On the other hand, one might well ask, if every birth is a rebirth, what kamma was paid for in his first birth?  One might also ask that if desirelessness is the ultimate nirvana, would it then be safe to say that in the first state there is not even the desire to see evil come to an end? 

The incredible aspect of this teaching is that the more painful one's existence, the more certain that the previous life is successfully paying its dues.  So that when one picks up the body of a little child, deformed from birth, kamma is in operation.  One might not wish to admit this, but that is the existential reality of this teaching.

Concerning Islam, Ravi points out that the sword and warfare are an intrinsic part of the Islamic faith. In Surah 9:5 of the Koran it says to "slay and fight the idolators wherever you find theM' and says to prepare ambushes for them. This is directly opposed to the kingdom not of this world Christ spoke of, which has nothing to do with political influence or worldly military forces.

Ravi points out that popular speaker Deepak Chopra whose Vedic teachings are of spirituality, success, and prosperity, has a religion with millions of devotees living in abject poverty. And so each religion must face the responsibility of answering the questions posed to it.

Some other points Ravi makes: Jesus said there is one way to God, Hinduism and Bahaism don't like that. He stated God is the author of life, not something Buddhism likes. And Christ said He is the Son of God, which Islam is not too happy about.

These are just a few of the points Ravi makes, maybe I'll point out some more later.

Religions can say that their goal is to love each other, to reach the highest good or whatever. But in fact, dogmatic religions (Islam, Judaism and Christianism for example) search (and fight) for the implantation of (their) faith. Their target is to gain believers and if this can be done with a war or just pissing off other religions, they?ll do. It?s so high the level of fanatism that one believer of a dogmatic religion is supposed to know that their God is the one and only and the others are false idols. As long as nobody can asure scientifically the existence of a god, I could say that I have a god of my own and the rest of the people are doing wrong beliving in another god. And even judge them for that. :) They do search for the same, but they have to be necessarily confronted to gain it. POWER. Don?t misunderstand me, I respect believers (I can?t understand them though) but I hate the hierarchical structures in which religions are organized and the way they lie and do bad things while they preach things that obviously they don?t believe.

Religions can say that their goal is to love each other, to reach the highest good or whatever. But in fact, dogmatic religions (Islam, Judaism and Christianism for example) search (and fight) for the implantation of (their) faith. Their target is to gain believers and if this can be done with a war or just pissing off other religions, they´ll do. It´s so high the level of fanatism that one believer of a dogmatic religion is supposed to know that their God is the one and only and the others are false idols. As long as nobody can asure scientifically the existence of a god, I could say that I have a god of my own and the rest of the people are doing wrong beliving in another god. And even judge them for that.  :)

They do search for the same, but they have to be necessarily confronted to gain it. POWER. Don´t misunderstand me, I respect believers (I can´t understand them though) but I hate the hierarchical structures in which religions are organized and the way they lie and do bad things while they preach things that obviously they don´t believe.

175246[/snapback]

Judaism refuses to accept its Messiah, Jesus Christ, which is what separates it from Christianity. If it did, it would realize the passage in its own Scriptures that says vengeance is God, and He will repay, not us.

Christ said to love our enemies and do good to those that persecute us. Furthermore, He clearly stated that the majority of those who call themselves His followers will be either liars or deceived when He said that "few" will find the way to life but "many" will come to Him in the last day claiming to be His only to be told they never Him. (same chapter too, Matthew 7)

Christ said that by love will we know who are His disciples (John 13:35) and in Romans 13:10 it says that love is the fulfilling of the Law because it doesn't hurt others. So if we know who are His disciples by their love and love doesn't hurt others, then it would be safe to assume those who start wars and hurt others are not true followers of His, correct?

Christ says that not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" to Him will enter Heaven but those that do the will of His Father in Heaven. (Matthew 7:21)

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

1 John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

I'm going to speak as plainly as I can. You DO NOT become a Christian by calling yourself one, it is a heart transaction. We can't see that transaction but we can see what it produces. If there is no love it is safe to assume there is no transaction. The Bible specifically states that we know we've passed from death to life because we love others. (1 John 3:14)

IF AN INSTITUTION/DENOMINATION CLAIMS TO BE CHRISTIAN AND STARTS WARS AND HURTS OTHERS IT IS CLEARLY NOT CHRISTIAN.

Christ said the 2 great commandments are to love God and love others. (Mark 12:28-30) Love does not harm others. (Romans 13:10) Therefore whoever is hurting others is actively defying what Christ said are the 2 great commandments upon which hang all the Law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:40)

Another point about Christ, by the way, is that he went the "wrong way" compared to other religions.

GOD Jesus

^ ^ v

^ ^ v

^ ^ v

^ ^ v

^ ^ v

Muhammad Sid-Arthur Guitama etc.

EARTH

Every figurehead of major religions were humans that claimed to be inspired by God. They then ascended into "heaven", or enlightenment, or whatever. Jesus, instead, claimed to be God on earth from the beginning. He goes down onto earth with, Christians believe, the final intension of saving the human race.

Now, before long, someone is going to come along and say that this discussion is about more than just Jesus and Christianity. However, as Jesus is involved in strong beliefs in three major world religions, it it important to clear this issue up first.

Chritians believe : Jesus was the Son of God who came down to earth to teach His people and to die for them so that they could be saved as soon as they asked for forgiveness.

Jews believe : Jesus was not who he said he was. The true Messiah is yet to come.

Muslims believe: Jesus was wrong in his major teaching that he was the Son of God, but he was still a prophet with alot of good things to say about attitude etc.

If any of the above is wrong then please correct me. I'd hate to assume things about other people's religions that are wrong. But here we can see that Jesus has sparked controversy. Surely it doesn't matter whether he was the Son of God or not? The people who believe in Him can follow Him, right? No.

Jesus said that He was "the way, the truth, and the light" and that "whoever trusts in Him will have eternal life". By this logic, whoever does not trust in Him will have the opersite to eternal life, which the Bible claims is Hell. If Jesus is not off His head, then the Jews and the Muslims are in serious trouble.

Now, about other religions. I don't know an aweful lot about other religions, like Hinduism and Buddism, but they seem a little, you'll forgive me here, flexible. Christianity is very clear cut. You trust in God and make a commitment to Him by believing Jesus was God, or you don't. It seems that with these other religions, they're alot more like hobbies. You go to the mosque and make a few little changes in your lifestyle here and there, but the religions don't talk about clear lifestyle choices. Other religions seem to outline "good" and "evil" alot more clearly. e.g. Trusting in idols is "evil", reading the Bible more is "good". Does a Hindu (or any other follower of these relgions) have sex as often as they please, take drugs, commit crimes, or simply lie, without feeling any enphaisis that what they're doing is wrong spiritually? Perhaps someone could clear my thinking on this up a little?

Well, I think that all the religions of the world share a few similar and most important concepts! There is no religion that would try to convince that doing BAD is acctually good and vice-versa. I think the main difference is in the word that is used for some sort of divine being (god, pure good, alah, whatever u name it...) that represents the highest good to all of them. I think that a mountain is a very good example to explain how these religions are connected: There are inumerable ways to the top of the mountain and each of this ways is a certain religion but all of those paths lead to the same top and all religions basically aim at the same goal - do good, avoid evil and practice compassion - this is the basis of all the religions around the world!
What do you ppl think??

I would say that all religions are similar in general but they are different concerning the details. The heavenly religions are in fact an evolution of one religion which leads to one divine power that is God (Allah). But the difference is in the concept of God (Trinity as in Christianity or one being as in Islam and Judaism), and in some of the values, prohibitions, practices and so on... On the other hand, the difference between the heavenly religions and the others is about the concept of the divine power itself. Each of those other religions has its own divine power, and although they all agree that there must be some superior power they cannot agree about its nature. Buddhists worship Buddha, some Indians worship fire or cows, some Chinese worship their ancestors and idols... etc. But, almost all religions lead to the same combination of values which are actually the ethics of our societies: being kind to people, being honest, never steal, never curse, never commit adultery, respect others, appreciate women... etc. On the other hand, there's only one religion which contradicts all those teachings and values which is Satanism that preaches to worship the devil Satan.

corrections

What Is The Main Difference Between Religions?

Replying to iGuestReplying to wakelim

First of all let me tell you brothers and sistes that jesus PBUH never said any where in any bible that he is son of God... Secondly I wanna tell wakelim that Jesus PBUH, muslims never says that Jesus PBUH was wrong or he said that he is son of God... NEVER ... AND ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING WHICH MAY BE VERY LESS PEOPLE KNOW.. THAT IF A MUSLIM SAYS HE don't BLV IN JESUS (PBUH) MOSES(PBUH) AND MOHAMMED THEN HE IS NOT A TRUE MUSLIM... HE MUST BELIEVE IN BIBLE AND TAURA...

THIS MUCH I WANNA SAY :) I HOPE WE ALL BELIVE IN ONE God ALMIGHT AND ONLY ONE ALL God ALMIGHTY AND WE CALL HIM WITH DIFFERENT NAMES .. DO BELIEVE IN HUMANITY AND LIVE AND LET LIVE IN PEACE .. THAT'S WHAT ALL RELIGIONS SAYS... Thanks brother and sisters

-reply by Learner

Wow! there are a great deal of opinions and facts thrown at me and all are very intresting.Wakelim, you sound very informed and probably a person who spends some time researching your thoughts before jumping to conclusions. I too seek the truth and have found many religons to be very similar, but what I don't understand is why someone chooses to be Protestant versus Catholic? they are practically identical with some variations in Service/Mass.How about Christianity Vs Presbyterian again to very similar looks from hind sight. Perhaps I'm missing something?I seem to enjoy my time with Muslim friends as much as my time with Jewish or Christian friends. They all seem to enjoy my company and yet a sit on the fence(Agnostic) when it comes to God.One thing is very true about religon in my opinion, is its importantce in creating law and morality out of most of the worlds population and for now that is what I am thankfull for. -reply by Tyler

Well, I think that all the religions of the world share a few similar and most important concepts! There is no religion that would try to convince that doing BAD is acctually good and vice-versa. I think the main difference is in the word that is used for some sort of divine being (god, pure good, alah, whatever u name it...) that represents the highest good to all of them. I think that a mountain is a very good example to explain how these religions are connected: There are inumerable ways to the top of the mountain and each of this ways is a certain religion but all of those paths lead to the same top and all religions basically aim at the same goal - do good, avoid evil and practice compassion - this is the basis of all the religions around the world!
What do you ppl think??

The main difference between religions is that most religions aren't true. All religions (apart from Christianity) are not true. How could they be? There is one god and that is it. You don't have to believe me or anything but that is what i think. It is a proven fact that Jesus was a real person who live in Israel around 2000 years ago. How could so many people arround the world (millions in fact) believe something that isn't true? If i just made up a rumour about something or said something that wasn't true was true do you think i would get hundreds of millions of people worlwide to believe me? even if the US Government said something to be true that wasn't true i don't think they would get so many people to believe them. Then how can a group of people in Israel 2000 years ago come up with something so accepted?

There is no religion that would try to convince that doing BAD is acctually good and vice-versa.

The religion Islam teaches and encourages Muslims to do evil things like Terrorism. In the 9/11 attacks over 2000 innocent American lives were taken by Muslim Terrorists. Most of them had family and friends who were waiting for them to come home. Wondering whether they survived the attacks or not. Most didn't and America and people around the globe are still in sorrow over what happened. I personally haven't lost anyone to the attacks so i can't imagine the pain and sadness that the relatives of those inncent Americans felt. Those attacks gave America the strength to stand up to these muslims and tell them that they do not accept being terrorised in this way.
Edited by joeblogg (see edit history)

religions are all very different. some religions believe in this and then others believe in that. the thing with religions is that they all think that they are in the right and that others are wrong. people think some religions are bad. like most people associate islam with terrorism because terrorists are muslims. its one of those things - all terrorists are muslims but all muslims aren't terrorists.

While, there are Muslims who are terrorsts(very small number)most muslims completley devote their lives to God and live peacefull non violent lives, to Muslims God is God if you are Catholic, Jewish or Christian you all believe in the same God, the diffrence is the rules by which your faith is governed.
At any rate Irish Catholics and Protestants were at war for Hundreds of years commiting acts of terror in the name of God, and before that the Holy Crusades swept through Europe parts of Asia and the Midddle East killing and forcing people to reconize God as Christians see God ( not to suggest that other religons were not doing the same) These can all be considerd acts of Terrorisim. Even Hitler thought he was part of Gods big plan to rid the world of false religon.
So as u can see this is not just a Muslim thing infact this has been happning long before the the Muslim Faith was born. Moses and his people were terrorized by the Egyption's and later whould order his followers the Isrealite's to kill all thoughs who dont believe in God as Moses saw God, Which ended with every Caninite; Man, Women, and child being Slaughterd.

Terrorisim is as old as Humanity, and is a creation of people and NOT of God.

Tyler
Edited by TylerCoombs (see edit history)