xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
freedomjazzdance

Gnome Vs Kde Linuxes Gui Battle Which do you use and why?

So what're you guys looking at these days?KDE - I've concidered switching to it because there is some software that I kinda like that was written for it.GNOME - Uses less resources i think, more streamline simpler, the way linux was ment to be. (I try to stay away from the really "fancy" distros like mandrake, etc.) just more things to go wrong i think...

So what're you guys looking at these days?

KDE - I've concidered switching to it because there is some software that I kinda like that was written for it.

GNOME - Uses less resources i think, more streamline simpler, the way linux was ment to be.  (I try to stay away from the really "fancy" distros like mandrake, etc.) just more things to go wrong i think...

174334[/snapback]

I use Windows now, but if I used linux, I'd go with KDE, cause they have alot of software that's integrated with it. It seems more user friendly. GNOME is clean, but KDE seems to have a lot of Window conversions.

That's just my two cents.

It's wrong to decide between window managers over which one has more software.Software can always be installed later, you should check for desktops functions.At first I used GNOME all the time since it wasn't so resource hungry, lightweight and simple but then I switched to KDE because I needed more.I missed some functions and capabilities in GNOME KDE had like its great Control Panel, nice integrated clipboard...

In the beggining i was using KDE (it came with my Knoppix distro). It is really user friendly and it has some good software such as KDevelop that can only used with KDE (correct me if i am wrong). Lately i migrate to another distro which came with Gnome as default Desktop manager. I like it because it is lighter than KDE and i am still using it. I even tried Fluxbox which is really light but i want something more user friendly and i stayed with Gnome.

As bsdpowa said, no matter on what desktop, you can run any software (or package).I like most gnome, very stable and clean, but sometimes I need to run kde applications and if you have a slow machine, it really takes time to open them.Anyway I prefer gnome.

As bsdpowa said, no matter on what desktop, you can run any software (or package).

I do not agree. Some KDE applications can only be run under kde.

175140[/snapback]

I use KDE, because I looked at GNOME and decided, KDE was better...quite simple really...although enlightenment.org, when they have released a stable and usable version of E17, will probably be my choice...entrance is my desktop manager of choice, for looks that is...but for useablilty it has to be kdm...although is still cannot work out how to skin it properly...but hey....Anyway, have any of you guys noticed that KDE are working on a new desktop look? It is called PLASMA and the address is plasma.kde.org and it looks excellent...I think that it will be out by NOVEMBER of this year...along with KDE 4 or whatever number they have reached by now...Enlightenment would be really good if a did not keep getting loads of error mesages, and that sort of thing. I think someone needs to make a new one that is perfect and maybe less bloaty then gnome and kde etc...e16 just doesn't cut it for me...and like I have previously mentioned, e17 is not nearly enough stable...