xisto Community
askingboss

Rogers : Internet Service Injustice cable connection

To those of you that know company : Rogers that provides both internet and TV and even more. When you are a customer for a long time with them you always get a bunch of stuff cheaper than other people and you also have to make them see that u want it cheaper or in some cases free lol i had to find out the hard way. When they released cable extreme internet connection both me and my friend were both long time users and we both had same old crapy modems. So what do i do... i call Rogers and ask em if i could upgrade to cable extreme and they say i have to pay $100 for the exchange so i'm like ok, if that what's the cost of the new modem why not since im getting better internet i'll pay it and i did. About 2 weeks later my friend calls in and says his internet is slow comparing to "his friend" (me -_-) and they come over and replace it to the same modem as i spent $100 on and now we got same cable extreme connection and i'm out of $100 :lol:

Ohh! That sounds really CrappY! So, you have just spent $100 for no good reason. I suggest, you contact the company and tell them about it and also give you the replacement charges back.

I don't understand that business. How can they make any profit through their workings. There must be something dodgy going on. Check there Policy before proceeding with any case against them. You never know how it might back-fire.

I do'nt use Rogers. I use comcast. I like there service. They're helpful. I've had people who i've known use Rogers internet service and they thought it nice. I guess it depends on your area or whatever. I have no clue about this internet stuff. All I know is my internet is faster than DSL and its not 56k. lol. I'm glad i've switched over to the fast side. Anyways. When I have problems i call up my company and bug them. lol. you should do that too.

Well,I have to some experience in this kind of problems..it's very similar to yours.I live in Serbia and Montenegro,for those who doesn't know...this country is far away from the 21th century in everything,why?I will explaine to you..because our goverment doesn't want to let in some investors who will spend some money and give some quality,for a lower price for the people..I buy a cable modem before few months from some internet provider,they toldme that the cable internet is without mistakes,I will have a fast and good connection at any time..well,I must say that they lied to me..first time,when I tried to connect in the time,when many people is on the internet,the connection failed,second time to,third time..etc.So I called them,when they checked out everything they told me,that there is no problem with the connectivity..when I asked them "How?",their answer was "We don't know!".. :) So I don't know what will I do,because every provider are similar to them...I hope that in the future will show up,some provider who will take care about their clients.. :D

I always thought that Rogers was a better and more responsible company. Bell :) is the company I have chosen. They are always lame. A week before, I switched to high-speed from DSL. Along with that, I got a Home Networking Modem, all in a price of $40.00. However, the internet is not as fast as expected. My aunt has Rogers and they said that it was a much better company. You should call Rogers and ask for a refund of the price. I hope they will take some action. But don't settle a lawsuit against them :D That's it from me.

You're quite incorrect. Although it may seem unjust from your point of view, you did not consider that ever since Rogers partnered up with Yahoo! to offer the Extreme service, users had to use or buy their own cable modem. It is true that the price is near $100 dollars, but it could also be true that your friend got it replaced for free because Rogers didn't want a bad reputation.Now, I really believe that you shouldn't be expressing anger at Rogers. It should be directed at your friend who used you as a scapegoat to complain to Rogers. Check their website. They have stated plainly that for the Extreme service at 5 Mbps, you must provide your own cable modem, buy one for around $100, or rent one every month for around $3.99. This is because they cannot support giving users that good of a service while still providing the cable modem as they do with the lower-priced plans. (Remember, the Extreme plan has the same fee as the Express plan, with the exception of the cable modem issue.)Contact Rogers' Customer Support center and complain to them (just like your friend did) about how your friend got the modem for free but you didn't. Be sure to state that he was using an old cable modem and he was comparing his speeds to yours. Lastly, remember that Rogers had a recent cable modem upgrade where everybody traded in their old modems for new DOCSIS ones. If you and your friend both got slow internet connections, it's not Rogers' fault because they did offer to replace the modems.

I live in Western Canada and a friend just upgraded to the new, fast Rogers system. She is exactly 10 times faster than the Cable connection I have, according to a bandwidth test she and I both performed.Really, really fast. (my machine wouldn't handle the speed anyways.)

Hi Hi. I have been a Rogers customer for over three years now and am not impressed. Its starting to seem like they are following the path of an evil empire. I have the Rogers light internet package and the vip digital cable with the ultimate tv stations. Now the main reasons I have stayed with them for three years was my fist mistake. I do not like contracts but after checking the packages a long time ago I figured I could save a lot of money and it was like a two year commitment. Now the evil empire part kicked in because I had a two year contract paying out about $60 a month and a sweet long distant package. A few months after I signed up it went up A few dollars for this service and a few for that. Anyways the result was that I went from having half decent services to downgrading my internet and cable to stay at the same price. This kept happening for about three years now and I am paying about twice than what I started off paying. My experience with this is that I will not sign up for a contract from this company no matter how much I save as from experience it will change quickly. Another evil empire move was a promotion to sell high speed modems where people where sold modems to get a special price for the then new extreme speed internet package. Well guess what. They changed it about a year later so that bonus was no longer available so all those people. Currently my apartment faces north so satellite will be a nasty install on the roof. Anyways my sweet long distance package is no more so I am looking for alternatives and I do not like bell as a option. Anyways I am at the point where I no longer want to do business with rogers and am looking for other options for internet and cable.

I've had Rogers for about 2~3 years now and it hasn't impressed me one bit. All my modems I received were screwed up. Recently, I received a new modem from Rogers and it hasn't been working properly at all. It's the Scientific Atlanta 2100 version and the PC does not illuminate but instead it blinks which causes my connection to drop every few minutes.-reply by Random

I used Rogers a few years ago and it was fine.I just weny back to them again.What's funny is I was toldthe installation fee would be waived, yet when I recieved thebill,there was the installation bill for fifty something dollars! When I look at my online billing, there is no mention of theinstallation bill,just the regular monthly bill.I can't make sense of it. I just know if I phone them up they'lljust say the mistake is with the online bill.

I did phone Rogers today and requested that they removethe installation fee.You know what?They agreed to.Hopefully theres no bureaucratic screwups and it doesactually get removed properly from the bill. All I'll say is that my overall experience with Rogers has been pretty good.Theres no downtime whatsoever,the internet service isfast and reliable, and the help from both the technical andbilling staff has been really good. I can't knock them.Bell Canada is another story though.

Rogers installation for home phone, internet ,and tv Rogers : Internet Service Injustice

I have had rogers for 8 years now. First, I got internet, then tv ,and finally home phone. I did purchased the extreme modem for $ 100when it first came out, but the speeds are what they told me.Today , the internet has many factors. Company;s like rogers control the internet bandwith and cap the modems.  I took a tcp/ip corse and a cisco certification so I am well aware of how the internet works. I have to say Rogers internet works very well and they won the speed test in canada.  Most people never really understand the internet, due to lack of education.  Rogers can provide 10 mbps download and 1 mbps upload max.  Extreme plu is up to meaning cannot garantee due to network stress.  I have tyo say I am pleased with my 55/month service and share it with my family.

-reply by David

Buy a Modem ??Rogers : Internet Service InjusticeHi, I was one of the first High Speed cable users in Hawaii back in 1995. It was Road Runner. They used Motorola T1 modems. Darn they were nice. I have never had less the 6M's anywhere.I am now in New Mexico on Comcast. Having use Cable modems for so many years I learned to always Rent Modems. They Burn up. I average a new free modem every 7 to 10 months.When I have to reboot a modem twice in a month I take it back and say it's broke.Now for the big problem that all Cable providers Lye about.1: Speed Boost $5 , Does Not Work Do not pay for it2: If you want the 3 and 1 packageHigh Speed Internet,TV,Phone, you must be satisfied with a much slower internet speed.WHY? Because the new Internet/Phone modems Reserve bandwidth for the Phone side.I have noticed that Internet speed is over 7M's in the morning , until the phone is used Once, the back to 3.5 to 5. Have not found how to crack this modem Yet.Bottom line is $3.95 a month rental is cheaper than buying a modem.I had 1 only last 4 months.Always rent.BILL-reply by BILL