xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jef

Date When Gmail Opens To Public? when do you think this will happen?

Google has to up for public... but I don't know when it's going to happen... It makes no difference for me, in fact, I thought it was already a public e-mail... Well, I guess I have to get in touch with PC again! XDGoogle is still on BETA because it's not a complete e-mail yet, but I don't know what else they can add... only some upgrades but not a new thing... well... let's wait to see!

According to google gmail is open to the public, and ready for users to sign up, sort of, here is a recent google anoucement

"Sign up for Gmail"
8/24/2005 05:44:00 PM
Posted by Keith Coleman, Gmail Product Manager

It's pretty exciting to see those words on the Gmail homepage. For the last 16 months, a lot of people have been asking us how they can sign up for Gmail, and today we're happy to be able to say, "Just go to gmail.com." From there, you can get an invitation code sent to your mobile phone, and with this code, you can create a Gmail account. Once you have Gmail, you can try out our brand new IM and voice service, Google Talk.

Why use mobile phones? It's a way to help us verify that an account is being created by a real person, and that one person isn't creating thousands of accounts. We want to keep our system as spam-free as possible, and making sure accounts are used by real people is one way to do that.

We're also working on some new mobile features that will make your Google account more useful and secure, such as SMS alerts and password recovery. When you sign up using your mobile phone, you can choose to save your number with your account so you can use these features as soon as they become available.

Right now, sign-ups only work with U.S. mobile phone numbers, but we're eager to support others. With Gmail now available in 29 languages (and counting), we're already working hard to bring you "注册 Gmail 邮箱," "Зарегистрироваться в системе Gmail," "Abra sua conta no Gmail" and many more.

The only problem is I can't seem to find the sign up link, perhapse because I live in canada and they are IP screening. (PS I already have an accound, so please don't offer an invite)

Hey all!I actually like the way that gmail does things. And I always have 50 invites. I actually went on a invite binge and I sent out 30 invites. The next day I was back to 50 invites. In this way gmail is open to public. You really can get an account if you try. I prefer gmail to yahoo although I use both. Gmail is my primary and private account. I really don't get much spam there. I give my second primary account out to potential spam places. Places that may sell my email address. I also like the idea of the cell phone to get invite codes. That is a great system. Also it really does work better if you have to work for what you get. You appreciate it more. I honestly love my gmail account. I love that our opinion counts. I have sent suggestions to gmail and most of the time they have been implimented with in a month or two.... ;)

I love that our opinion counts. I have sent suggestions to gmail and most of the time they have been implimented with in a month or two....

Couldn't aggree more, when i head about the cell phone thing I sent in the suggestion that maybe it should be open to all phones in the form of a voice message, that way people without sms could also recieve an account.