xisto Community
Peaktao

International Schools:better Way Of Learning?

Hey, this is the situation regarding international schools in my home country. Just wanna know what you think. -_- There are two main types of schools in my country: normal school and international school.1. Normal Schools: pupils learn all the subjects in Thai. They, of course, also learn English and other foreign languages such as French or Chinese. Sometimes, they also have the opportunity to study with a native speaker in those subjects. Normal schools also wanna teach their pupils Thai cultures...And they are stricter about keeping own cultures, and they are statistically better in keeping the right balance for pupils (between Thai and foreign cultures)2. International Schools:pupils learn everything in English. This is good because they'll be really good at English and they can meet people whose parents are from different counties but have come to work in Thailand. The problem is Thai students in such schools usually completely forget the Thai culture. So if parents want their child to struck the right balance, they have two main options.- send their child to an international school, but try and teach him/her Thai language and culture themselves. :lol: - send their child to a normal school, but send him/her abroad during the summer holiday to learn English and meet people from different countries. -_- What do you think?

Japan has quite a lot of international schools -especially in the big cities. The main adventage they have over public schools is that your child can meet children from other countrires, and more likely be more fluent in English by the time he or she finishes. The downside is that international schools in Japan are EXPENSIVE.

shigajet has already mentioned the finances, I think that is a realy big stumbling block. I think, you don;t need to go to an international school. If your local school provides good education in all subject and the only difference is that they teach in Thai rather than English, have them go to the local school.It is more important that the importance of learning is being transmitted rather than a particular subject in a particular style.Learning depends on you using the opportunities you are being given and making the most out of the circumstances. If sending your children to these schools is so expensive, that you cannot spend time with them, because you have to earn so much and work longer hours. Dont send them to that school. Read an English book with them in the evening, listen to the radio WITH them, rather than being lounged in front of the television.English is not my first language, and you can see it in the way I write and put my sentence together. I only started to learned English at school when I was 14. I didn't speak a single word before that. With 27 I moved to Britain and made my master from a British University a year later.So I am all in favour of the local school, because I wouldn't want to miss out on the fun with my friends, rather than forming friendships with sons and daughtes of diplomats that might only be in the country for a year, just when the friendship develops.Good luck