xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Totalwar

Wedding Ring Prices? 900 too high?

I posted a picture of our rings a few weeks ago (I?ll link to the post later if I remember) but what I was wondering was how much most people spend on engagement/wedding rings. Now I had a grandfather that was very ill, and we didn?t think he would make it to any reasonable wedding date. We were planning a trip to see him prior to our engagement but I felt bad about introducing her as my girlfriend since in all likelihood he would never meet her as my wife. So, even though I was strapped for cash we decided to pick out a reasonably priced ring (under $100), I would propose with that, and then she would get a nicer ring for the actual wedding. So anyway, we?ve got our real wedding rings on layaway any they will be about $900 if we don?t get a discount (which I think we will, but we?ll go with retail). Now I think this is very reasonable since I only substitute teach, and she works at subway and goes to college. She thinks that $900 is too much money to spend on wedding rings and wants to downsize her ring since that?s the bulk of the price. Am I wrong that most people spend several thousand dollars on wedding rings?

My idea of a perfect wedding ring would be one of those jelly light up rings you get at Wal-Mart. But considering that your wife is the normal bride, that may not be an option. I think at $500-$750 is a very good range for a wedding ring. You might want to ask around for different styles and different stone carats. Who knows? A bargain may come your way. If you're in need of cash, you could try a pawn shop or antique store for a ring. The only problem here is that you may not be able to find the right size to fit your fiancee. Also, she might be angry if you get her a ring someone else wore. But seriously, shop around. You can find a lot of miraculous things if you look a little harder. Oh, and congrats about the whole about to get married thing!

Hi Totalwar,

I have no idea how much people spend for wedding rings, although I think most women want diamond engagement ring, since "diamond lasts forever" and it's a "girl's best friend." Since you're spending $900, does it mean you're getting diamond? I always thought diamond cost more.

I think as long as you can afford it go for it, but why would you want to spend more if she's asking for less? If spending that much money on the ring means you have less money for the wedding it might not be a good idea...No amount of money can buy true happiness or put a value on true love.

Of course, it depends on what your girlfriend/fiancee really wants to see on her finger, and what she really wants others to see on her finger.

My idea of a perfect wedding ring would be one of those jelly light up rings you get at Wal-Mart. But considering that your wife is the normal bride, that may not be an option. I think at $500-$750 is a very good range for a wedding ring. You might want to ask around for different styles and different stone carats. Who knows? A bargain may come your way. If you're in need of cash, you could try a pawn shop or antique store for a ring. The only problem here is that you may not be able to find the right size to fit your fiancee. Also, she might be angry if you get her a ring someone else wore.

But seriously, shop around. You can find a lot of miraculous things if you look a little harder. Oh, and congrats about the whole about to get married thing!

171611[/snapback]

Hi biscuitrat,

May I ask why one of those jelly light up ring is a perfect wedding ring for you? ;)

My idea of a perfect wedding ring would be one of those jelly light up rings you get at Wal-Mart.

HAHAHA lol i've heard of famous couples that spend like $1,000,000 dlls in their wedding rings... personally i would like a nice plain simple ring (well maybe with a LITTLE diamond or imitation of diamond) yup nothing to expensive (cough..) anyway congratulations of the engagement-future wedding! i hope you happiness guys =D

I was engaged about a year ago....called off....ANYWAYS her engagement ring was $2,900.....but i think it depends on where you get it....lol my mom got hers for lik 800 and it was on a half price sale thingy.....just shop around....besides the ring is just the symble, your love for one another is what counts. And its work i hope you to never wanna stop working at it.

yeah 900 is a good price for a ring yeah the diamond will be small but its better then spending 10-20k and then get dumped by here too.yeah so go with it (well lets see a pic of it and we will let you know if your good).

well, I've heard people say that 2 MONTHS salary is the price you should pay for an engagement ring. Whoever thought that up was just a greedy *****. Personally, I believe my husband spent under $1000 on my ring, and I bought the "wedding bands" that we actually exchanged at the ceremony. We each bought them for valentines day, NOT KNOWING that both of us had bought rings. :o It was really sweet, he put mine on the stem of one of the roses he bought for me too. I would suggest unless you REALLY know your girlfriend that you spend the $900 you planned on, maybe a "little" less. Some girls will say "oh honey, that's too much money to spend on a silly little ring..." And what they really mean is "You better not pay less than what we discussed, because I'm WORTH it." I'm not saying your girlfriend is one of these women, but if she is and you spend less, IT WILL come up later. ;) I know many women like this.By the way, I think what you did in regards to your grandfather was really sweet & I'm sure your girlfriend does too. That is the sort of thing that girls like to see in their future husbands, caring & compassion. Good luck to you both & CONGRATULATIONS!--Jane

I think you said $900 for both rings. If I am wrong then I am sorry.

For my Wedding Rings I spent about $2000

Mine was about $400 Men's Wedding Ring with 10 Diamonds in the band.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Her's was $1600 Engagment and Wedding Band set.
Has a Heart Diamond on it, only one in Florida at the time I was buying.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

PS. You need to ask your fiance/wife/significant Other, what rings they like.
Then when they are least expecting it buy them the ring that bests suits their ideas and tastes.

Also you need to watch her body language. a Decent ring which could be around $1000 - $2000 for her is probly what she wants but she doesn't want to tell you. When you get her a less expensive ring which is probly not what she wants but she said yes to wanting it anyways, is like a punch to the stomach.

pss. I put links above as I was too lazy to edit my images.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Right now we have arraigned things this way. We have the rings on lay away and we are waiting for a sale in November when the owner comes in and can apparently reduce the price of rings more than the regular sales clerks. I?m putting her in charge of haggling since she is worried about the price and unlike me, is not going to pay whatever when all is said and done. If she can work them down to a price she is comfortable with then all the better, if not, I told her that she needs to find a ring that is at least as expensive as mine (about 300), otherwise I would feel bad. The thing is, I don?t normally wear rings and if I?m going to buy one to wear for the rest of my life I think it should be at least kind of nice. Anywho, once again thanks for your comments and I?ll be sure to post wedding pictures in may, after I get back from the honey moon (we?re going to Mackinaw city).

Hi:If you can afford it, and you both like it....it is worth it. Remember, a wedding ring is something that will be worn everyday. Every single day, she will look at it, and be reminded of your love and your relationship. And generally, rings, jewelry, and diamonds are much more important to women then men.Wedding rings can vary in price. Go to an online jelery store, and search. You will see a large price variation. But to answer your question, yes, people will spend thousands of dollars on rings.So bottom line, if it is a ring you both like, I think you should stick to it.Sunkist

I bought our wedding bands at this website - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. They specialize in custom design wedding rings. Our pair only cost me around $280 - 14 Karat, the works.  They say it's hand crafted and they're pretty flexible with the designs.  They're based in the manila philippines, a cousin of mine was visiting so it was pretty perfect timing.  :)  hope this helps!

Nice post! im looking around for some engagement ring or whatever kind of ring except marriage since i am not planning that one lol. budget is around $500.00Anyone care to post more online jewelry store? :P

Personally i'm not really the rich kind of guy, and my wife sure as heck knows it, and she doesn't come from the wealthiest family ever, so what I did was for our engagement ring, I got a 3 month advance, for our wedding I got more like 6. It's not too expensive, but it isn't soo bad that you will go broke for the rest of your life. I think that it depends on your type of woman, if she isn't too demanding 3 monthish should do just fine, if she is demanding or is used to nice things, you might want to go for the 4-5 month advance on your salary.