xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shengeta

Battle Of The Handhelds

Handhelds are starting to become a battle now that sony and others are copying Nintendo and throwing out competitive mini systems. Doesn't this sound like what happened on the consoles long ago? Nintendo starts, others follow; yea Atari and others systems were out before nintendo, but games almost died and Nintendo came out with the first REAL video game system. Now in the handheld age, it seems the same is happening. Sega falls and here comes sony, probably followed by microsoft. Let us just forget about the N-Gage for now. Well here they are, the specs.

Nintendo DS

Media Type Cartridge

Memory / Storage

Cache size 8 KB

Video

Video Output 2D/3D graphics acceleration

Graphic Effects Fog effects

Audio

Sound Output Mode Stereo

Input Device

Input device type 4-way cross keypad

Display

Type LCD display 3 in TFT active matrix Color Integrated

Display (projector) type LCD display

Color support 18-bit color

Memory Card

Type None

Power

Battery 1 Game console battery Rechargeable Lithium ion

Communications

Modem / Comm. None

Connections

Input/Output connections 1 x Headphones, 1 x Microphone, 1 x DC power input

Expansion Slot(s) Total (Free) 1 Nintendo DS cartridge slot, 1 Nintendo Game Boy Advance cartridge slot

Sony PSP

CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

Main Memory: 32MB

Embedded DRAM: 4MB

Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)

Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers

Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), USB 2.0 (Target), Memory Stick? PRO Duo, IrDA, IR Remote (SIRCS)

Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)

Profile: PSP Game, UMD Audio, UMD Video

Main Connectors: DC OUT 5V, Terminals for charging built-in battery, Headphone/Microphone/Control connector

Keys/Switches: Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)Analog pad, Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Left, Right keys START, SELECT, HOME, POWER On/Hold/Off switch, Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-, Wireless LAN On/Off switch, UMD Eject

Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor

Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control

Accessories: Stand, Headphone with remote commander, Headphone with remote commander and microphone, External battery pack, Case, Strap

E3 Prototype Exhibition: USB Camera for PSP, USB GPS for PSP, USB Keyboard for PSP

UMD Specifications

Dimensions: Approx. 65 mm (W) x 64 mm (D) x 4.2 mm (H)

Weight: Approx. 10g

Disc Diameter: 60 mm

Maximum Capacity: 1.8GB (Single-sided, dual layer)

Laser wavelength: 660nm (Red laser)

Encryption: AES 128bit

Profile: PSP Game (full function), UMD Audio (codec ATRAC3plus?, PCM, (MPEG4 AVC)), UMD Video (codec MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus?, Caption PNG)

Ok...fine here is the new Nokia N-Gage QD -built for gamers it says everywhere

Battery Life Talk: 3.50 hours (210 minutes)

Standby: 240 hours (10 days)

5-10 hours for gaming alone

Battery Type LiIon

1070 mAh

Display Type: LCD (Color)

Colors: 4096 (12-bit)

Size: 176 x 208 pixels

Platform / OS Series 60 (Symbian)

Memory 3.4 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)

Phone Book Capacity shared memory

FCC ID OW3RH-47 (Approved Apr 6, 2004)

Alarm- Yes

Bluetooth- Yes

Calculator- Yes

Calendar- Yes

Custom Graphics- Yes

Custom Ringtones built-in ringtone composer (not poly) / supports MIDI and WAV formats

E-Mail Client Protocols Supported: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP

supports MIME2 attachments

EMS / Picture Messaging- Yes

Expansion Card Card Type: MultiMediaCard (MMC)

slot located on bottom / hot-swappable / supports cards up to 256 MB

Games supports Java, Series 60, and N-Gage games / downloadable or fixed MMC card / compatible with games for original N-Gage / supports multiplayer via Bluetooth or GPRS

Headset Jack (2.5 mm)- Yes

High-Speed Data Technology: GPRS

class 6 (2+2, 3+1, class :D

Java (J2ME)- Yes

MMS- Yes

Multiple Languages- Yes

Multiple Numbers per Name- Yes

PC Sync- Yes

Polyphonic Ringtones- Yes

Predictive Text Entry Technology: T9

Ringer ID- Yes

Ringer Profiles- Yes

Speaker Phone- Yes

SyncML- Yes

Text Messaging 2-Way:- Yes

supports long (concatenated) SMS / plus IM (instant messaging)

Text Messaging Templates- Yes

To-Do List- Yes

Vibrate supports haptics (vibe synced with games)

Voice Dialing Number of entries: 20

Voice Memo- Yes

Wireless Internet supports xHTML

Now with all this information (if you understand it) who will be the victor? Also don't forget the games count...

Well first off, take out the N-Gage. That is going nowhere, and went nowhere in the past. Just for mentioning that, you should have to buy me a sandwich or something :DWell, this is truly a hard fight. PSP brings all of the nifty things to the front, such as media playback and storage cards for mp3s and whatnot, not to mention a huge, crisp screen with powerful graphics. But Nintendo has implemented their drawing motion technology nicely with the DS. Paired with Nintendo's classic cast of characters and amazing first party support, this looks good for Nintendo. Their only problems are lack of 3rd party support, and their idea that they have to rehang the moon with every new console. I don't want some console that has a built in toothbrush which with you use to power up your raygun, or some other wacky innovation, I want better games, and gameplay that works.

Yea you make a good point, if it were more like the gameboy advance... and If I was signed up with paypal I would buy you a sandwich :D , N-Gage is going nowhere, I think people would rather buy a cellphone and the psp or ds then buy the n-gage all in one. I wasn't going to mention it as you may be able to tell, but then I said what the heck and posted the specs, you know, so you can compare how much better the other two are compared to the N-Gage. Oh yeah I played the new N-Gage QD or whatever it is called in an EB games, it was a wrestling game, it sucked, so did the system...way too many buttons, it has the whole keyboard plus a bit more... GFX sucked, the look is ok, I mean I like the colors and the logo, just not the one's on the screen... it's crap.

hmm... PSP looks coolbut some of the DS games are nice~im planning to get a pspand also a n-gage too~since psp has a high price as of now, ill get an ngage first then maybe pick up a psp sometime ~ ^^

Why not a DS and a PSP, N-Gage doesn't do well, their GFX stinks along with the phone service, and their games don't seem to be great... well... at least the games they actually get which isn't many...

I agree, the PSP seems to be the best available. It has a lot of great features, good games and movies, and great graphics. Although it is pretty expensive, it is definetly worth the price.

i think the DS is better even though i do want a PSP as well as my DS, the reason i prefer the DS is because there are so many games that i want that seem good that are coming out for it, for example CastlevaniaMario KartMetroid PrimeMario & LuigiHarvest MoonAnimal CrossingFinal FantasyAdvance Warsthat's all i can think of at the minute but there are definetly more than just those, but for the PSP there are only a few games coming out that i want Like GTA Liberty City Stories which looks good but i think it might have problems with the battery life and having such a huge environment. But the PSP also has some great multimedia players like being able to store music and photos as well as being able to play UMD Movies on it. But then again the DS is very different an i like the way a touch screen has been used with the dual screens and the microphone is easy to use as well. I think that both the DS and PSP will survive as there are 3 home consoles at the minute that are all surviving well, so surely 2 handheld consoles should be able to survive together, as they both target different audiences

Yeah you should REALLY take out the ngage....what a load of trash! Now the ds and psp are very close runnings. I mean the psp looks better and has better graphics and can play movies.....while the ds shows a new way to play games which opens up the doors for soooooooooooooo many different types of games(which i look forward to). But the ds will be able to play music and movies as well with the add on called the play-yan. My vote goes to DS. :)