xisto Community
cragllo

Most Stable Windows Version What do you think was the most stable...

What do you think the most stable version of Windows ever made is?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Windows 2000 seemed pretty good then our good buddy Microsoft took a nosedive in quality control if you ask me :D . Windows 2000 is very stable we have it at school and it never crashes. I get a few crashes per week on my Windows XP computer here at home.

I only have Windows ME and XP installation CD. Two computers are currently on Windows XP. There was once where one of the computer had some serious error that require formatting. So after formatting, I decided for a change to install Windows ME instead. Installation was faster then Windows XP I must say. System startup fast and smooth too. But it has random jams and lags upon system bootup. Sometimes in a worst case scenerio, it flashed the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). And the errors are usually due to hardware conflict whereby the message shows all the long hexedecimal addresses and other information.I have to agree that Windows ME then has alot of bugs, but still its faster then Windows XP during bootup. That's a case for me...

I am using Win XP mostly for programming and development. And it's extremely stable! However, many games, hardware components and software applications simply refuse to work and can make a freshly installed Windows XP behave like Windows ME (which is bad)!On my old computer, I used to have Win98SE, and I was pretty satisfied with it, but Win98 can't handle slow computers very well (32MB of EDO RAM, 166MHz processor, 1MB video memory on the graphics card...) and if I run too many applications, sometimes the good old' blue screen pops up, and when I "press any key", the screen goes black and all that I can do is press the reset button.When Windows ME was out, I installed it on my (old) PC. Now, THAT WAS HELL! Looks like Windows 98SE, but it's MUCH SLOWER, and I can't do a thing with it because a blue screen will popup every half an hour! Until I switched back to Win98 SE, when working on my PC I clicked on the "Save" button every minute because I was so afraid that it will crash! Windows ME is the WORST OS that Microsoft ever released! I don't know why they even released it at all!You don't have to be an expert to use Microsoft Windows, but you do have to be an expert in order to keep your Windows installation and all of your data from going up into flames! When I helped out a friend install Windows XP and to configure his PC, everything was just fine. No crashes, no slow-downs no problems! However, after dropping by a week later I saw his computer infected with TONS of spyware, Internet Explorer toolbars, "Get Sex NOW!" icons all over his desktop and a few viruses as well! What would happen if I haven't showed up? That's a big problem with Windows... "Everything is OK!" on first site, but under the hood you can see a bunch of junk which can be extremely dangerous!Windows 95 OSR2 was pretty good too! (not Windows 95 itself, but the OSR2 version released 1997) I only hated it because you had to restart your computer every time you wanted to change some networking settings! Everything else was working just fine!

hi therei think the most stable version of windows so far is windows 2003i have tried windows 98 , windows 98se , windows 2000, windows ME, windows xp pro, windows 2003 enterprise trial.although the people say that 98 is the best ever and most stable windows yet, i bet that windows 2003 enterprise that i have tried is most stable till date. i can say this because i have done some experiments with it.1) i tried at first windows 98 and windows 98se what i have done was that i surf the net , install the bunch of programmes, media players ...etc without any patching of them that is with out any security updates and antiviruses or system protective measures.after couple of days my windows 98/98se becomes very slow and bugy.it hangs and shows me blue screen couple of times..i have recorded all the sequence on paper i.e all the programmes i have installed and all the activity i have done.2) then i have install winows ME on it by formating my hard drive.the result is that this is the most hopeless OS i have come across it crashes too often.3)then comes windows 2000. it is stable good and well poerformer but it is too slow and gives some crashing problems after installing something or surfing the net.4) i have then install windows xp in three formsi) windows xp without service packsii) windows xp with sp1iii) windows xp with sp1 and sp2all three worked better than previous version of windows i.e 98/98se/2000/MEbut windows xp without service pack is very vunarable and crashes somehow to virus attacks and programes instabilities.but out of service pack catagery windows xp with both sp1 and sp2 is more stable, more fast and less vunarable.but here comes a bitter side of a tell all windows xp installations require atleast 128 of ram and 8 gb of space to work flawlessly.so it is slow and gives hang up too often.5) now comes the windows 2003 server enterprise edition.i have downloaded the trial from microsoft website by registering on it.it installed wonderfully on my PC when i log in it tells me to activate it to use it for 6 months.i have done that and tried all the softwres i have used on previous windows editions.the results are amazing. it handles the processes very well takes less CPU useage. even if i have not install sp1 for it or patch it.when i have tried to network it with my friends machine on LAN it refused to do so .....so i search the net and found that the windows server 2003 can not be install in the network as a workstation.but i have manage to do so by some geek tweaks and try to access my computer from my friend's PC but it denied to access the pc so it work like the stand alone machine in the network.i have found less viruses adware and spywares infecting this windows 2003 installation. it almost never crashed till date and have very few problems of hang ups and repeatedly restarts.so i have finally come to the conclusion that windows 2003 enterprise trial i have own is the best windows edition ever.so here is my opinion that windows 2003 is best version of windows ever.thanx bye -_-

I have to say Win2k is the most stable. I have had too many problems with XP. The classic theme overheats my CPU for no apparent reason, and takes up all of my ram. I had to switch to 2k because of that becasue I hate the XP normal theme and like classic. Plus 2k is FAST!!!

Well I've only used 98 and XP, but I am also going to have to say 98, for the main reason that it actually worked, XP seems to be to unreliable especially on my less than great computer, I also think that XP has to much junk bolted on, that seems to be the trend now each time they try to improve it they make it steadily worse (not counting ME, which I've never used but I will have to trust you that it is rubbish). also XP is really slow for me, but thats my comps fault.

well I think it was 2000! I used those windows on my old computer because it was to weak to run XP and I never had any problem...when things got slow a bit, i cleaned the registry and defragmented the disc - things were the same as it was! XP have to many bugs and are too popular with hackers and stuff so it is hard to be the most stable - 2000 was more of a proffesional version of windows and it was not that widespread because everybody wanted XP so hackers wasnt so interested in it....Yeah my vote is 2000!!

98se was the most stable windows OS. Me was the WORST out of all operation systems. ME actually stands for "microsoft's euology". Luckily, they did release XP in time to keep their good name.

189072[/snapback]

Me actually means Millenium Edition...

So, yep...98. It doesn't keep bringing up the blue screen all the time, and it doesn't come with so much "extra" junk.

170289[/snapback]

Actually, the '"extra" junk' :ph34r: that you are referring to is very very useful. Take these:-

Prebuilt Features:

CD-Burning: Windows 98-NO Windows XP-YES

Support for .zip, .cab: Windows 98-NO Windows XP-YES

Grant certain access rights to users: Windows 98-NO Windows XP-YES

Not Compatible with other version software: Windows 98-YES Windows XP-NO (compatibility feature)

:(

Still need reasons why WinXP is better?

Secure Logon

Ctrl-Alt-Delete shows hidden processes and message sending options.

Great Themes

Lock your toolbars

More options after failure to boot

and yes, it does display the Blue Scrren, but Windows 98 simply HANGS!!!

:D:(:(

I also thought that Microsoft Windows 98 is more stable and better than windows XP OS. The XP's theme looks better than the 98, but XP is so slow. until I upgraded to Windows XP Os with service PAck 2, everything is ok now, although some program still load slowwer. My PC does not hang anymore, and I blame my 128MB only memory on why my PC is so slow.