xisto Community
doranp20

Solar Power solar power

This could be a reality if you live under the following conditions:1. You live in the desert (so there is no clouds)2. You have lots of land3. You have enough money to buy alot of solar panels4. You can find a way to store alternating current in a batteryIf you have that you are all set to go!

new technology would be solar power for your house. that would be great imagine not paying your electricty bill. That would be cool.

169405[/snapback]

Solar Power is not practical as the sole provider of power, combined with a Wind Generator, and perhaps a water wheel hooked up to a generator and you would be able to do this.

Wariorpk:

No need to store AC in a battery, just convert it before it hits the houses power, after all this is what a computer UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) does, alls you would need is a really big UPS, power the UPS with your solar panels and other electricity generating apperatii and voila self sufficiency is yours, of course you would be wise to generate more power than you need and have a UPS capable of storing extra power just in case one or two powersouces went down (AKA solar at night, or possibly water wheel if your water source froze over)

Regardless it would still be a very expensive endevour, but if you did it right and put power back into the grid you may do more than just not pay your power, but depending on your power company you could get paid by your power company instead of having to pay them.

lol do people actually still use those kinda things ? what do u use solar powered stuff when there's no sun ? or do u use em only in teh summer ?

169516[/snapback]

I have seen the odd solar pannel up on peoples roof's, not really useful as the sole powersource, but it can reduce your hydro bill. As I said in my other post there are also other ways to generate power wind mills, and water wheels are just a couple. But for the eco-friendly rich guy breaking free of power companies is possible. It costs alot up front, but in theory in the long run it saves you money and helps the planet.

You can use sun rays only to heat water.

That's no so expensive and technically posible.

170584[/snapback]

Technically possible, yes, and even relatively cheap, however there are problems with that as the sole source of heated water. Hard to maintain a good hot water when it is -40 Celcius out, and during the night there is no sun to warm the water. I have heard of it being done before though.

This is technology already, as far as I'm concered. My arents are thinking of moving us out to some godforsaken place in the middle of nowhere, the entire house is powered by solar panels, a battery to store extra energy, and a back up generator just in case. To be honest, I'm thoroughly pissed off, since I wont be able to use nearly as much of the stuff as I do now.The thing is, the price of the house is half of the one we're in currently, but since there wont be much power, we can't even use half the stuff we buy with that extra money >.<!!!

I don't think solar panel is all that good at the moment. But don't forget that things are keep getting better and smaller.

They will probably improve the way solar panels work and also make them smaller and product more power per unit.

This could be a reality if you live under the following conditions:

1. You live in the desert (so there is no clouds)

2. You have lots of land

3. You have enough money to buy alot of solar panels

4. You can find a way to store alternating current in a battery

If you have that you are all set to go!

169463[/snapback]

Solar power can be pretty good, if you don't use that many electrical items. Recently I visited a public 'house of the future', it was completely powered by solar energy and I think they realised that it didn't produce much because the only things I saw were lights, TV and a fridge that were electrical. It really was pathetic.At the moment, I think we should just stick to solar powered garden lights. Hopefully, the technology will advance pretty quickly (like everything else is at the moment), then, and only then, can we start thinking of solar powered everythings.

You'd need to live in the desert, or very close the the equator to get that much sunlight, you'd also need all of your electronics to be very efficient.But solar power is useful when there are thousands of panels layed out. One giant panel in the desert will usually proivde enough power to provide electricity for 5 average homes. But a solar panel you have at your house would normaly be an eight of that size, and only provide power enough for 0.625 average homes, so you'd fall quite short with one, so you'd need two of them, and you'd need a very sunny place that is close to the equator, otherwise solar power won't be very efficient.

I don't know about garden solar lights.

My father brought about 20 of them.

about 3 had broke in the wind and when it goes dark they turn on as they should. Within about 2 hours they are back out again as the power runs out before you know it.

Solar power can be pretty good, if you don't use that many electrical items. Recently I visited a public  'house of the future', it was completely powered by solar energy and I think they realised that it didn't produce much because the only things I saw were lights, TV and a fridge that were electrical. It really was pathetic.

At the moment, I think we should just stick to solar powered garden lights. Hopefully, the technology will advance pretty quickly (like everything else is at the moment), then, and only then, can we start thinking of solar powered everythings.

174806[/snapback]

new technology would be solar power for your house. that would be great imagine not paying your electricty bill. That would be cool.

169405[/snapback]

It would be cool not paying but it would be also harmless for the environment. That it is cooler.

The best solar panels only convert 15% of the light that falls on them into elecrticity so you would need an entire roof covered in them to power a house that has the appliances of a modern home. Plus these panels are extremely expensive making nucleur, once again, the most viable option. Scientists say we will have fusion by 2030 creating an unlimited source of 100% clean power.

Just read over the post on this string, sometimes I wonder if some of you have bothered to do some research on the topics that you post about.....Firstly Solar Power is a viable option and is currently used in 12% of homes in South East Queensland. The initial cost to fully equip the average home with a complete solor system is $37,000 AUD. This provided you with 8 - 12 solar cells and the necessary battery bank required to store and distribute the energy as needed.Yes you do need to ensure that you are using energy efficient appliances but you should be doing that anyway.The panels last for 20 - 25 years and need to be replaced after that time. So it does cost you money but when you consider the cost of having your home connected to the power grid if you are any distance from the main distribution system it can be quite cost effective.The Cells are designed to work with a minimum of 4 hours direct solor contact. less then that and you would have a concern with the supply to your home however with the correct alignment of your homes roof line in a east west position then you will on average receive at least 6 hours per day and more in the summer months. The other alternative that is becoming quite popular for urban buildings is to connect your house to the power grid and install a smaller solar system that back sells the left over power that you generate during the day to the power company, and then draws back from the power company at night or when the solar efficiency drops below an acceptable limit. This system is being used frequently in Queensland and northern NSW.It offers people the opportunity to do something for the environment while still retaining a viable power supply. It also give the consumer the chance to get some money back from the Power company's if their supply usage is less then their supply generation, how cool would that be to get a cheque back from the power company?Anyway just my opinion and info that i have available on the topic.