xisto Community
s2city

Using An Ftp Client

Using an FTP Client

This tutorial applies not only to accessing your Xisto account, but also to any other FTP account you may need to gain access to.

Okay the first thing you're going to need is an FTP Client. There are a wide variety of FTP Clients with varying features. CoreFTP is a free solution and comes with basic features that most FTP Users need. CuteFTP is available for a Freeware download, but is well worth the money to buy a license for it.

CoreFTP: Includes the following features: SFTP (SSH), SSL, TLS, IDN, browser integration, site to site transfers, FTP transfer resume, drag and drop support, file viewing & editing, firewall support, custom commands, FTP URL parsing, command line transfers, and filters. -Free Download Here

CuteFTP: Has a wide variety of features and is my personal favorite. It will also be the program used throughout this tutorial. A Freeware download of CuteFTP is available for a Trial Period. -Freeware Download Here

Alright... now that you've got an FTP Client, we can get down to business. As stated above, for this tutorial I'll be using CuteFTP Professional v7.0.

Step 1: Open your FTP Client, the first thing you'll need to do is create an account; Click File -> New -> FTP Site.

Step2: Now you have to fill out the Site Information.

Label: Put whatever you want in this field; your site's name for example.

Host address: This is the address to connect to your FTP account. Use either a domain address or IP address. (ftp.yoursite.com OR 11.559.20.1)

Username: This is the Username you use to access your FTP Account.

Password: This is the Password you use to access your FTP Account.

Comments: This field is for any additional information you may wish to store about that particular FTP Account. Perhaps file size limitations or the password you use.

Posted Image

Step 3: After you've filled in all the appropriate information to connect to your FTP. Simply press the Connect button and CuteFTP will attempt to access your account.

There you have it. Below are some FTP Functions you can perform.

CHMODDING

If you're planning on installing a Bulletin Board onto your Site then you'll probably have a need for this particular function. To CHMOD a file or directory, right click on the item and click Properties / CHMOD. Then simply type in the permission number or use the Checkboxes to tick off each attribute.

Posted Image

In-program File Editing

Need to edit a file? No need to open any additional program. Simply use CuteFTP's In-program File Editor. Just right click on the file that you wish to edit and press Edit. Your file will open in a new tab, allowing you to edit it. When you're finished just press Ctrl + S to save and upload the file back onto the FTP.

Posted Image

thankyou for the screenshots i was looking for the screenshots of this from long time...i use Internet Explorer to access the ftp but there are some friends of mine who need the screenshots of cuteftp...thanks again....but still according to me the simplest way of accessing the FTP is via IE.
for IE.......

1. Type ftp://ftp.mysite.com/ in the address bar.
2. Give Username & Password
3. Use it as Windows Explorer; i.e. copy and paste the files.

You can just use Internet Explorer too, but why would you want to? :D

Also good to mention Passive Mode, as some FTP Clients will automactically set this to default, and cannot connect if the server doesn't allow it.

The data transfer process (DTP) for FTP establishes and manages the data connection.  The DTP can be passive or active. Passive, or PASV, is a command that requests that the server "listen" on a data port (which is not its default data port) and to wait for a connection rather than initiate one upon receipt of a transfer command. Certain FTP servers support both active and passive transfers while other FTP servers only allow active transfers.

From Webopedia.

thankyou for the screenshots i was looking for the screenshots of this from long time...i use Internet Explorer to access the ftp but there are some friends of mine who need the screenshots of cuteftp...thanks again....but still according to me the simplest way of accessing the FTP is via IE.for IE.......

1. Type ftp://ftp.mysite.com/ in the address bar.
2. Give Username & Password
3. Use it as Windows Explorer; i.e. copy and paste the files.

IE lacks functionality and sometimes won't connect to FTP Accounts.

you can just also connected your panel via cpanelor you just can use filezilla
it's a good opensource ftp client

CoreFTP is also a good and FREE ftp client. And as the title says, "Using an FTP Client". Not, "What's the best way to connect to an FTP?" :D