xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rapaport

Php/mysql Search Engine Help Having issues displaying results

I've been using a tutorial (https://www.devarticles.com/c/a/MySQL/Developing-A-Site-Search-Engine-With-PHP-And-MySQL/)
at this address to help me get started on building my own search engine. I've completed the tutorial but when I run the search, I get no results on the results page. I'm wondering if anyone will take a look at this script and see if they can figure out why my I'm not getting any results displayed. I'm using phpMyAdmin to build the database and simple notepad to build the PHP script.

<?php$submit = $_POST["submit"];$keywords = $_POST["keywords"];if(isset($submit) || isset($keywords)){doSearch($keywords);}else{getKeywords();}function getKeywords(){?><html><head><title> Enter Search Keywords </title></head><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><form name="frmKW" action="searchdocs.php" method="post"><h1>Keyword Search</h1>Enter keywords to search on:<input type="text" name="keywords" maxlength="100"><br><br><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search"></form></body></html><?php}function doSearch($search_keywords){$arrWords = explode("", $search_keywords);if(sizeof($arrWords) == 0 || $search_keywords == ""){echo "You didn't enter any keywords<br>";echo "<a href='searchdocs.php'>Go Back</a>";}{// Connect to the database$dServer = "localhost";$dDb = "content";$dUser = "x";$dPass = "x";$s = @mysql_connect($dServer, $dUser, $dPass)or die("Couldn't connect to database server");@mysql_select_db($dDb, $s)or die("Couldn't connect to database");for($i = 0; $i < sizeof($arrWords); $i++){$aQuery = "select articleId, title, left(content, 100) as summary from articles where articleId = " . $arrWhere;$aResult = mysql_query($aQuery); $count = 0;$articles = array();if(mysql_num_rows($aResult) > 0){while($aRow = mysql_fetch_array($aResult)){$articles[$count] = array ("articleId" => $aRow["articleId"],"title" => $aRow["title"],"content" => $aRow["content"]);$count++;}}$result = mysql_query($query);if(mysql_num_rows($result) > 0){// Get the id's of the articles$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);$arrIds = explode(",", $row[0]);$arrWhere = implode(" OR articleId = ", $arrIds);echo "<h1>" . sizeof($articles);echo (sizeof($articles) == 1 ? " article" : " articles");echo " found:</h1>";foreach($articles as $a => $value){?><a href="article.php?articleId=<?php echo $articles[$a]["articleId"]; ?>"><b><u><?php echo $articles[$a]["title"]; ?></u></b></a><br><?php echo $articles[$a]["summary"] . "..."; ?><br><a href="article.php?articleId=<?php echo $articles[$a]; ?>">[url=http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; echo $articles[$a]["articleId"]; ?></a><br><br><?php}}else{echo "No results found for '$search_keywords'<br>";echo "<a href='searchdocs.php'>Go Back</a>";}}}}?>

The database has 2 tables (articles and searchWords) with 3 fields each ((ArticleID, title, content) and (WordID, Word and ArticleIDs). Each table has 2 records

I know this is a long script and this post maybe asking a lot, but I've gone over the tutorial several times and can't seem to indentify the difference in either my database structure or my PHP script.

All help is appreciated as well as more tutorials for building a MySQL/PHP driven search engine, if anyone knows any. Thank you.

Notice from snlildude87:
50% OF YOUR POST WAS CODE!! Use the code box whenever posting code.

*Edited and warned.*

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

well its looks like you the php script is not even in the html trying moveing into the <html> tag and see what happens.