xisto Community
electriic ink

How To: Change Your Website's Index File a simple trick using .htaccess

How To: Change Your Website's Index File

a simple trick using the .htaccess file

A simple tutorial which only involves editing one little file. Useful for those of us who have mime-typed extensions or who are creating lots of test design files and want an easy way to make the design they like best their default file.

Create a file called .htaccess in the /public_html/ folder if you don't have it. I think one should be there already when you get your site so if it isn't you should create it anyway!

In the file write the following:

DirectoryIndex best_design.weirdext

Replace best_design.weirdext with the file you want your index page to be.

Open your website and if all has worked well, you should have your customized index page.

All agreed it's a lot simpler than the mouseover tutorial a did :D. Any questions/comments regarding this tutorial :D

Cool. I didn't know you could do that... I thought it was just the way it was... index.html forever and for always. lol! Thanks for the tutorial, I think I'll use it since index.html lacks a sort of beauty. :D

Hey thats a good one.If you could help me out on one thing in .htaccess .Do you know what does IgnoreIndex means.I read it somewhere and I think so it could be used for this as well.If you do let me know.Thanks and have a good day

Although if you go playing around more you can seriously impair visitors access to your site. I suggest you create a backup of the one you already have (if any), then create a new one, then slowly intergate the old one back into the new one after research of each part.

The only little problem is that all the index in your page will have another nameso if you have a forum it will cause some big problems.But is a good advice for thouse who wanted

This is a very good tutorial. It is easy to read and easy to understand.The only problem is that at the moment, I don't have the need to change my website's index file. However, there's bound to be other users out there who do want to change the website's start page. This tutorial will certainly help. If anyone ever asks me how to do it, I will refer them to this topic.Thanks for sharing :lol:

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

Do you need to add a .htaccess file to every directory, or just the ones that you're changing from index, or does it change the index file for all your directories? If it did it for every directory in the directory, unless you told it otherwise, that'd be great!I don't think I'll really use it that much, though. It's just easier for me to use index.Does it automatically accept index.php over index.html? I haven't checked that yet. ;)

so if i use your code, can I make it in a different directory, like direc/index.php ? can You do that? I will try it. Thanks for finding this!