xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
romy

Mod Chips legal offcourse

i dont have any mod chip in my console and i have a gamecube ... the mod chips of gamecube are almost new ... and i dont know if i should put it because i know a lot of people that have mods in their consoles and a lot of times the results a problem .. some times the disc dont load ... and with the time the laser that reads de cds works bad ... thats my expirience ... also another friend cant play xbox live never ever because of a chip, the only solution for him was to bought another xbox hehe ... now about the chip of the gamecube in not really sure if i should use it because it have some problemas: not multidisc games support ... so if i want to play a game of more than 1 cd like resident evil ... sad situation it wont works hehe ...so with all this problems i really dont know if i should install to my gc a mod chip ... i think the solution is stay legal, keep your console as it came from the factory and buy original games ... :D:D

My old Playstation (North American model) has a mod chip that allows it to play games from Japan. A friend of mine did this for free, and he's also been able to do the same for the PS2.

well actually mod chips are illegal since your breaking into the system itself you could call it a hack, cuz i don't see to many store carrying this around which is telling yo usomething about it, plus i wouldn't go through all that rouble anyways because then i would ruin $150 system and have to buy a new one and don't need to bother with that right now.

Maybe you are interested !

Sony has hinted that it is preparing a fresh legal challenge to the legality of PlayStation 2 modification chips in Australia should a High Court case brought by a PS2 mod chip seller go against it.

SCEA did not say how it will tackle mod chips should the Stevens appeal go against it, but it's clear that it will not going to accept defeat. Its case is likely to centre on changes made to Australia's copyright regime enacted as a consequence of the Free Trade Agreement signed last year by Australia and the US. Ž

I play halo 2 Online and back when I used to play matchmaking I always used to get modded (cheated by people with modded xbox's or content). It was so frusterating knowing that they are that obsessed about their rank.

ya modchips are illegal but what about softmodding a mod chip just w/o the chip i got those and halo2 modding yes i was 1 BUT............only if i needed to defend myself against a cheater so its not really o so bad!I made my own mods so that i know how to turn em off im a one of a kind heheheheehehehehe..lol softmodding isnt a chip but is it legal i wonder? -_-

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Removing excessive 34 x ?, 15 x ! marks and 2 rolleyes. Your other posts generates the same childish postings #174675, #174668, #174566, #174534. You have been given a verbal warning.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

well actually mod chips are illegal since your breaking into the system itself you could call it a hack, cuz i don't see to many store carrying this around which is telling yo usomething about it, plus i wouldn't go through all that rouble anyways because then i would ruin $150 system and have to buy a new one and don't need to bother with that right now.

168867[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the modchips are illegal....it's what you DO with them that makes the process illegal. You bought the system....you can do whatever you want with it......with each system, however, it just voids the warrenty.

I myself have a modchip in my xbox. I added a 120 GB hard drive as well.....transferred all of my music files (all ripped from CDs I own, don't worry) and made backups of my DVD collection. Saves some extra wear and tear on the disks, plus I'd rather much listen to all of my music on my sweet surround sound system rather than my tiny crappy PC speakers

ya modchips are illegal but what about softmodding a mod chip just w/o the chip i got those and halo2 modding yes i was 1 BUT............only if i needed to defend myself against a cheater so its not really o so bad!

I made my own mods so that i know how to turn em off im a one of a kind heheheheehehehehe..lol softmodding isnt a chip but is it legal i wonder? :)

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Removing excessive 34 x ?, 15 x ! marks and 2 rolleyes. Your other posts generates the same childish postings #174675, #174668, #174566, #174534. You have been given a verbal warning.

174677[/snapback]

What all do you have stored on your hard drive right now? I've looked into all of the legal legistics of this....I found all of the loopholes ;)

Sony has lost a legal battle in Australia over the modifying of its PlayStation games console.The High Court has ruled that chipping the console so that it can play imported games does not breach copyright law.The ruling ends a four-year legal battle between Sony and a supplier of so-called mod chips, which bypass regional controls on the machine.In the UK, the selling of mod chips was ruled illegal in 2004.Modchips that do not circumvent copyright protection can still be sold in the uk.For example a modchip for an xbox which comes with a cromwell bios is perfectly legal.The cromwell bios is used to enable the user to install linux based programs on the xbox.Similarly ps2 modchips can be sold , normally blank , then programmed once installed into the ps2 .

Generally speaking (at least to the extent of my knowledge), the hardware itself is yours to do what you will with. Modifying isn't illegal, per se, provided it doesn't explicitly violate any license agreements (for example, bypassing game copy security is illegal without exception).

Most modchips are not illegal in themselves - as for the BIOS, however, it may be a different story. As has been mentioned, the Cromwell BIOS for the Xbox is legal, but most BIOSes are outright illegal. Most programs for the Xbox - 'homebrew' applications or dashboards etc - have been compiled in XBE form, which is illegal (or at least, the compiled forms are illegal to distribute).

Anyway, my knowledge of such areas is fairly limited, so don't take what I say as absolute fact.

To go into a little more detail about the XBE files, it's files / programs that were made using the Microsoft SDK (System Developers Kit) for the Xbox. It's to be used only by MS employees, and none of them would ever get away with making "extras" for the xbox, hence those certain files / programs are illegal.

Indeed. Apparently, there are a lot of people that have managed to get their hands on it. There was talk of a project some time ago by the name of OpenSDK which would be completely legal - but I haven't stayed up to date on it.I read somewhere quite a while ago that the authors of the Avalaunch dashboard had obtained permission from Microsoft to create the program, provided they didn't distribute it (which they evidently have). Of course, that may be complete rubbish.

ya modchips are illegal but what about softmodding a mod chip just w/o the chip i got those and halo2 modding yes i was 1 BUT............only if i needed to defend myself against a cheater so its not really o so bad!

I made my own mods so that i know how to turn em off im a one of a kind heheheheehehehehe..lol softmodding isnt a chip but is it legal i wonder? ^_^

Notice from BuffaloHELP:

174677[/snapback]

umm... how do u turn off the mods and what do u use to make ur own mods??... im softmodded too and i think its one of the coolest things in the world... i can get weather info on my xbox!!! lol