xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid Fire

Colors in Html everything about colors

Hey...I've had a few problems with choosin the color in html language. I found a good page wich describes all you need to know..

http://bignosebird.com/colors.shtml

Next thing you need and it really is useful is a program that shows you the color code..you have it online here:

http://www.pagetutor.com/colorpicker/index.html

hope it helps ya....byeeeeee

That color picker is pretty cool. Thanks for the link. I also like to use this color schemer place: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html because it will show you what colors match with each other.

I thought of some questions for eveyone while I was in another thread so I'm going to come back in here and add to my post :) ...

What do you think is the best color scheme for a website? The worst? Do you feel that people are starting to fall into a trap and only using a couple of different looks? (I see a lot of white&light blue or black&grey&silver) Or is it possible that those two are the best color color combos and we don't need to look any further?

Edited by brandice (see edit history)

I get my Hex Colors from Paint Shop Pro...It takes a while and there are probably lots of other way to get it..

This is the dumb thing I do:

I go to effects texture effects and then blinds I choose the color and where I choose the color at the bottom is a HTML thing...

I told you it was dumb and time consuming but I am like that and thats the way I find my Hex Codes...

Is it called Hex Codes ? :)

Yes, they're called hexidecimal codes. Hex (greek for six, which is why we have hexagon), and decimal (number, essentially, although the Latin root is decim, which means 10). So a six number/letter code for every color. My technique to this is to browse around and see if anything interests me. Otherwise, I simply type in a random 6-digit number/letter combination into my editor and see what it comes up with. That's my favorite method :rolleyes:. Example...<font color="#183FAC">here's random colors for you!</font>

If I find an image or whatever and want a matching colour for a backgorund.I just PRINT SCREEN or open up the image in PSP and then choose the color drop picker thing.....if you on paint brush just press CTRL whilst choosing the color...Okey click on the colour you want on the image as yoru background...It will show the colour in the colour picker box thing double click that and below is the Hex Code you can use. You do this instead of going through loads of colours trying to match the one you want =D

Yes, they're called hexidecimal codes. Hex (greek for six, which is why we have hexagon), and decimal (number, essentially, although the Latin root is decim, which means 10). So a six number/letter code for every color.

Technically, hexidecimal does not mean there are 6 numbers. It actually is used to describe the base number which is 16 (deci + hex = 10 + 6 = 16) This refers to the number of units before carrying over to the next unit (or digit).
In base 10, which we all know, we count from 0 to 9, then we go back to 0 in the ones unit (digit) and we carry 1 over to the next unit (tens unit). Just think of it as an odometer in your car. Thats the way it works.

In the number, say 12, the left digit is the tens place and the right digit is the ones place. so the number "12", in base ten, means 1 in the tens unit, and 2 in the ones unit. Add them together and you get the number 12.

So for base 16 you actuall count from 0 to F (which is 16) before placing a 1 in the next digit. taking the same "12", the left digit does not represent tens but 16's. So 12 in hex means something different. 1 in the 16's unit and 2 in the ones unit. Adding this we get 18.

The reason why there are 6 numbers in choosing a color for HTML is simply because colors work on a red/green/blue (RGB) pallette. You will learn from science that any color can be produced using RGB (they are the primary colors of light). Each color on an 8 bit color scheme (RGB) has been designed to have a range of 0 - 256 (2^8). HTML chose to represent this using 2 hexidecimal digits to produce the range 0 - 256. 16 x 16 = 256.

So color=#RRGGBB in html. That's why when u say color=#FFFFFF you get white. You are basically saying maximum red, blue, and green (from science we know that RGB produces white light). And when you say color=#000000 you get black because you are saying no red, no blue, and no green. Again, from science we know that the black represents the absense of light (no RGB).