xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
areawe

What Is So Great About Firefox? is IE going down the tubes?

What is so great about Firefox? The last I knew 98% of people were using Internet Explorer, so as a web designer, I really only had to worry about Internet Explorer displaying my website correctly. I've read that Firefox now makes up about 20% of the browser market. These two browsers display web pages completely different and it's a bit frustrating to say the least! Why are people suddenly using Firefox and not Internet Explorer? Did you switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox and if so why?

Some people did it for security, and something about web standards. I dont really see the point myself. I've tried firefox, i didnt find it as good as IE.

Yea, some people do it for security, in fact firefox still lack in security. Some peole do that because firefox is open source program so they can edit,reprogram, etc to make it fit what they needs. and some else because it speeds.

Its best for a webmaster to have both Internet Explorer and Firefox as their browser as more and more ppl are using firefox... Firefox is attractive because of its saving of password and security setting, and also maybe because of its advance tools...

I switched over because I get less popup ads bothering me while using firefox.I've noticed that firefox might be a bit more strict than IE when it comes to css code. So, the EditCSS extension has really helped out.

I switched over because I get less popup ads bothering me while using firefox.

I've noticed that firefox might be a bit more strict than IE when it comes to css code. So, the EditCSS extension has really helped out.

167540[/snapback]

As Developer if you follow some basic rules then you will not have to worry about different browser. Most of the site works IE also works great in firfox. It should work fine as it is in Netscape/Mozilla.

Firefox is more secure plus there are so many advanced add-ons or extension are available, which makes web development and browsing easy, secure and plus it is free...not like IE.

It had TAB concept, which IE has just followed by installing TOOLBAR..

You know that, TAB browsing is easy if you have many windows to deal with..

Anyway, more and more people are turning to firefox with in this short time...so it tells that something is better in firefox then IE.

Also, people always eants to try something new....CHANGE ...

SPREAD FIREFOX.....

I created an animation about this once :(

Posted Image

Let's begin listing them shall we:

It's free -- That's right ie costs, firefox doesn't. Not a penny.

It's secure -- It's more secure than ie and it's holes get fixed within several weeks! How many months did ie have that security hole? Are we still waiting for the patch or has it arrived?

It customizable

It has themes, which can change the colour, look and feel of firefox. A bit like the themes Window's has - except better.

It has extensions. Extra files you download to make firefox that little bit better. I have 3. Adblock, Google Suggest and CustomizeGoogle :(

Tabbed Browsing Tired of having 5 windows open at once? Then use tabbed browsing and only have one window and 5 tabs open at the top. It cleaner and they're easier to switch between than windows.

Community Firefox users make their own creations and don't leave it to mozilla. They actively help out by spreading the word and creating themes and such. Therefore, mozilla has this extra time to fix security holes and make the next edition of firefox better.

That's it I think. But the one problem firefox has is that some pages don't show up correctly. Then again that's not firefox's problem, it's the designers fault. He's just lost 20% of he's customers through poor testing and creating.

Companys are now realizing the value of firefox as a browser and are creating extensions for it. One good example would be the not quite new google toolbar for firefox and the aforementioned google suggest tool.

But what pulled me to use firefox? In fact none of this - although this could probably be down to ie's marvellous security :(. I noticed that more and pages wouldn't load and instead they displayed the cannot find server error. That really p***ed me off. I found a solution and that was to add pages to my trusted sites. I didn't want to do that because of security reasons so I decided to download this fantastic browser called firefox. To my disbelief pages loaded and I've never used ie since :D

I used to use IE but I switched to FF as soon as I heard about it (0.8 Beta version). I think it looks better than IE, is more user friendly, adds extra functionality with extensions (I have 8), and most importantly, Firefox has never crashed on my computer, unlike IE which seems to crash every half hour...

Also it gives Microsoft a kick in the teeth, they need to understand they can't hold a monopoly on everything computer related!

I find IE v6 SP2 more secure than firefox. I havent seen a pop-up or a pop-under for a very very long time. When i tried out firefox, sure it blocked pop-ups, but it failed to block pop-unders. And the fact that it allows you to automatically download files to your computer w/o you having to designate a location for it to get downloaded to, i see that as a security issue. As for blocking certain activex, my IE does the same. And i dont understand why people give a reason on why they switched, just cause firefox was free. As far as i know, what browser isn't free? As for websites looking a bit crappy on firefox, that doesnt necessarily mean it's 100% the web master's fault. Browser's do have rendering engines. That can be part of the problem as well. "Spread Firefox." And then people complain about Microsoft trying to be a monopoly. Haha, how hypocritical is that?

i dunno the market share of firefox and internet explorer ... but i tihnk it would be wise to deisgn your site compatible with internet explorer and also firefox ... but normally both of them display image the same way ... just that sometimes firefox have some difference when displaying css .. the css positioning is sometimes not same ...

Why don;t we all just start using Netscape! :( hahaThe debate goes on, i find that i switch between both for some things. Microsoft are by far getting better at there sercurity issues but other then that, IE Sucks!! :(Go FixFox! Secure, Easy, Clean :D

I find IE v6 SP2 more secure than firefox. I havent seen a pop-up or a pop-under for a very very long time. When i tried out firefox, sure it blocked pop-ups, but it failed to block pop-unders

If I were to be honest, I never saw a popup or a popunder in either browsers.

And the fact that it allows you to automatically download files to your computer w/o you having to designate a location for it to get downloaded to, i see that as a security issue

If you fiddled around with some of the options, you'd have found out you can turn that off. ( Tools --> Options --> Downloads )

And i dont understand why people give a reason on why they switched, just cause firefox was free. As far as i know, what browser isn't free?

Internet Explorer. But it comes "free" with Windows.

As for websites looking a bit crappy on firefox, that doesnt necessarily mean it's 100% the web master's fault. Browser's do have rendering engines. That can be part of the problem as well

I didn't say it was totally the webmaster's fault - just mainly. If he wants his visitors to stay he should build round them. If people like a browser which displays pages differently and I site wants visitors then the websites should change its design. Just like if a hacker discovers a new hole, then the browsers should change their code to keep their users.

i dunno the market share of firefox and internet explorer

You can find out over here. IE6 users are at 68% and FF users are at 20%.

I also forgot to add that FF loads surprising faster than IE. When I load it, there's no major scratching of the hard disk.

Well, I have Opera, IE, FireFox, Netscape and Mozilla installed.

I USE Firefox, the other browsers but IE are there to test sites in.

Mozilla, Firefox and Netscape use practically the same engine the Gecko engine. Netscape still is quirky about some CSS, but mostly it's all good.

IE doesn't even support CSS1 fully, and even their latest piece of junk (pardon my stab at MS there, but they kept on announcing full CSS support and png alpha transperancy in IE7 and they only fixed 2 or 3 CSS bugs - so not even CSS1 is supported fully) which means that we still have to use box model hacks, and weird solutions for what works fine in FF.

I am not even touching the topic of security yet, but the CSS, which seriously simplifies a webdesigners work, DOESNT even work in IE as it should. Just check out http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/ in IE and then give it a go in Mozilla or Firefox. THAT is CSS2.

Security : I used to have soooo many virusses, and after going to FF I do fine, I had 3 in 2 yrs. Of course not using Outlook Express and MS outlook does help :D But honestly, way less pop ups (if you trully wanna test it, just surf to a pr0n site with FF and look maybe one BLANK pop up, but nothing offensive -other then the site itself- and then try it in IE, have fun closing your 50 popups).

[1]If you fiddled around with some of the options, you'd have found out you can turn that off. ( Tools --> Options --> Downloads )[2]Internet Explorer. But it comes "free" with Windows.

[1] Yes, i know about that, but there are many lazy people out there.
[2]Why did you quote: free?

[2] "Free" with Windows.... One, windows is paid junk LOL and uninstalling IE is uhm next to impossible, I made a few attempts some time ago and it ruined the OS completely.