xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Mumbai Flooded

hi friends,

Many of you would be knowing Mumbai, it is the financial capital of India, earlier called Bombay.

Last week (actually two days back) it received unprecedented rain on a single day. You can imagine the amount of rain by the fact that it was almost 96 cm(over 37 inches) in a single day. It would be heavy by any standards.

The whole city and neighbouring areas were flooded and almost 200 people lost their lives as of now...

Hope the water level recedes at the earliest and no more lives are lost.

http://ia.rediff.com/news/2005/jul/28rain1.htm

Cheers.

Interestingly, it happened on 26th.
The Tsunami occurred on 26th, the earthquake in Gujarat occured on January 26th... Lot of coincidence of nature's fury. Actually read an article which said a few other natural occurences in the last 3 years that have happened on 26th...

When it all started, I thought it's probably not going to be that serious. But I was proven wrong by far. I'm and Indian (although I don't live in India, and haven't been there much). I'm well aware of the situation there and unfortunatley it's getting worse by the day. Many people have lost their lives and man have lost their way home. They have no way to get back home probably from work or other such places. People don't even know if their relatives are alive and stuck in the traffic caused by all this or not. The situation has really depreciated. I hope everything goes well, and all the help that has been established sure does work out.

has the death toll now reached over 800? .... it's dreadfully sad and should get more news coverage than it is here in Britain .... there's a real fear of water borne disease spreading throughout the area ....

we were just discussing this issue this morning .... a news item about looting of an area in Birmingham that suffered some structural damage after a freak tornado a few days ago, was judged to be of more import than the deaths of over 800 people in India .... ridiculous .... news editors should be ashamed .... :D

well i was really sad to hear about the mumbai flood....one of my friend's flat is taken up by three families as the apartments 1st floor is completely drowned....now i think by this people can imagine the amount of water in mumbai....i've seen many videos as well where lot of cars and even SUV's were completely drowned...and streets, roads were completely jammed....my friend told me that they were getting food with the help of small boats!i wish the level of water goes down fast and mumbai comes back on track!

Ow, feel sorry about that :D What? so it happen on 26th also? I tought bad day is 13th :( I've seen on TV how badly flood in Bombay, and many people lost their life. I hope government will take action to help casualties. :( they're easy to get sick and also starvation since they don't have anything to eat :(