xisto Community
Static_Fury

What Should I Start Learning? I dont know which i should learn.

Some useful links to begin with: - HTML, CSS : htmldog.com- A little bit of everything: wc3schools.com- PHP: php.net -> Manual- mysql: mysql.com ->Tutorial chapter of the manual- selfhtml.org -> In german. No english version. :-( but Deutsch, Spanish, japanische, french versions.

yo yeah liek BIS said download DREAMWEAVER and start, dreamweaver is mad fun and you will learn a lot of stuff from it. u can make a site using pictures and words and no codes wat so ever thank gods. Codes= boring.lol

yo yeah liek BIS said download DREAMWEAVER and start, dreamweaver is mad fun and you will learn a lot of stuff from it. u can make a site using pictures and words and no codes wat so ever thank gods. Codes= boring.lol

166682[/snapback]

Erm...Maybe you've been stuck in design view instead of code view the whole time but there's really no way you can make a webpage without some form of code going into it. You'll probably want to learn at least some code before you go straight into making the site - at least that way, you can learn ways to make your website better. Dreamweaver's only there to help you make an easy site but it's actually pretty powerful with all the extensions it has. Same as for any hard subject in school: You can't always take the easy way out. But it is true that you can learn a lot from it.

Dreamweaver is great. it's what i use all the time for my web designing. but i would start out with frontpage, or some other similar basic editor for html for a start. it's simpler, and it's free. then once you get a working grasp of html you can upgrade to a more robust thingy. i would start with html and then upgrade to PHP. don;t bother with asp unlesss you're looking to get a job with some huge company as they're basically the ones who use it. and then if you have a website written in ASP then hosting is much harder to find, much more expensive, and generally a bad ida. php instead everyone hosts it, there are tons of plugins and scripts for it. AND it's faster and easier to learn.

The problem with Frontpage is that it inserts all sorts of filler text into your file, just unnecessary little things. Plus, Dreamweaver is a little more recent and I think it works more fluidly. But it's really a matter of preference on your part.

PHP and Perl both allow you to process web page forms. Many people here seem to like PHP. I like Perl, which is also a server-side scripting language. Perl has been around a long time and many good scripts use it.

Xisto supports Perl too. You can put your Perl scripts in your cgi-bin directory and call them by putting something in your browser like:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Happy programming!

Goldinero

Start with HTML, that's essential. Then as you work with HTML, you'll probably find out about some CSS and JavaScript. Then when you get good and want to make a more advanced site, you might consider some PHP. That's what I've done, and I'm at the PHP right now. :D

I would just take a quick class, photoshop intro to web design. One of those weekend things. I find it's the best way to get started. I mean their not expensive and they're not long at all. The most they will do is explain all the things you'll need to become a designer in general, not just web designer.round

Start with the latest dreamweaver, go to htmlgoodies.com for some nice tutorials it got me started, see if your school offers any computer classes like that. maybe some chatrooms would help, i like to use yahoos chat function.

ok you need to make you discriptions more detailed...try download trails or buy original software as paintshop pro, freehand, fireworks all work but start the the easiest HTML i am now running a web with HTML as im a begginer and hosting a holiday web with 2 problems... links open new windows i dont want, page is correct but not found!!if you need help contact our 24/7 service atsupport@websitehelp.50webs.comThank you

Hey why dont you try a Server side language like ASP or PHP :D . It can make your page much more advance, interactive and fun. You can also do alot of cool stuff with these languages. So heres some tips to keep in mind before taking up a language.

ASP:[/b :D ] () Easy to learn and short coding to type

() Windows viewers don't have to install Asp to view site cause ASP is ....................automatically installed in windos.

() Best for Bigginers and has to have a ASP enabled server

PHP: :D () A bit hard to use and learn

() More advance coding

() Free ware

() Has to have special servers.

() All viewers has to have PHP installed to view page Correctly

Hope this Helps Bye!!!! :(:D:(:(

Hi i should start learning more of wisdom first, rather than prefering other things. After wisdom comes characters and discipline. After this comes rest. I also like to learn more of webdesigning languages like PHp, My SQL, MAcromedia falsh player, dreamweaver, front page, Adobe photoshop and much more and more. MAn i am very much interested in learning PHP and mysql more than others, since it is the most famous language and many prefer it to design there site and it provides good security...

I would suggest

>>> FIRST ! GET VERY VERY VERY GOOOD WITH HTML AND CSS ... cos they form the BASIC for all scripting in thiis internet world . You know GOOD HTMl , n u can start off with others
>>> If you want to become a DESIGNER , learn PHOTOSHOP and DREAMWEAVER
>>> If you want to become a CODER , learn PHP , Jscript and actionscript in flash .

if you know FLASH completely ... i swear u can start rocking like hell

Oh yes .. forgot .. was reading the last few posts ... and had to create a new post .. to let all you people knwo ...

People who thought PHP was only for LINUX and needs to have server access to test / learn .. (* like the person above me *) ... there is a special soft , that is VERY simple and lets you have a virtual PHP + SQL server ( with phpmyadmin ) on your WINDOWS based systems ..

It is called EASYPHP ( google it out to download )

just download that and get GOING ! :huh:

I think the best programe is MS frontpage. even it may lack some special effects, but it is very powerful for designing even professional web sites. I use this program and i belive it. I also worked with some other programs such as coffie cup, draemviewer and so on..., but the best is MS front page in my openion.

First to tell you: there is no "web desing language". Desing is one proccess, web development is another.
Design is done by desingers (graphics), and development (implementation, programming, coding, markup) is done by developers.

Designers use tools like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Ilustrator, CorelDraw, GIMP, etc.

Developers use languages like HTML, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, JavaScript.
All those have different uses. Some are script languages, some are mark-up languages. Some script languages are client-side, while others are server-side languages.

It takes a lot of unsleeped nights to cover all of it, so you might consider learning one of them, OR you might make a comitment to learn them all (design&development).

If you just want to "play" with web sites, then you might try some of many CMS (Content Management System) out there. Google for PHPNuke, Mambo Open Source. Read their documentation, play with them, and see if that is for you.

If you want to go on designer path I recomend Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks. Photoshop is more complex but more (if not the most) powerful, while Fireworks is more "user-friendly" and intuitive.

You might try Macromedia Flash too. You probably have seen some flash sites out there and you know what it is about. If not go to http://web.burza.hr/

If you want to program suff for web (like polls, forums, shoping carts, etc.) then you might go for either PHP/MySQL (free) or ASP/MSSQL Server combination. I prefer PHP, and recomend it to noobs (very easy to learn language, with a lots of built-in functions).

You'll also need some databases knowledge (especially relation databases) if you decide to go that way. As I've already said MySQL is best combined with PHP.