xisto Community
patelg

Linux Under Windows Linux in windows

Do u want to run linux with out uninstalling window or without dual boot?Here, is the little utility "Linux under windows".Download from "Mainsoft".It is cool ...Try out today.

i think is a good idea if you just want to try something or you are going to execute programs that dont use too much memory ... i think this is emulation right??? and emulation consumes a lot of machine resources so if you really want to try linux install it normally, mandrake is a very friendly interface and have a lot of tools to manage multiple OS in your pc like linux and windows ... :D

There's also Ubuntu Linux. They give out free CDs without shipping costs. I ordered like 50 CDs for fun, and they all came! Here's the link: http://www.ubuntu.com/

166319[/snapback]

do you already installed ubunut linux??? do you recommend it'???

i entered to the website but im not sure to try it :(

:D

Has anyone tried Lindows?

166376[/snapback]

i was looking in google about Lindows and i found this

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/44508

It's Official: Lindows Is Dead, Long Live "Linspire"

they changed their name to Linspire

here is the website if someone is interested

http://www.linspire.com/

also i read something about it ... at the beginnig they promised to bring users an OS that run linux and windows applications ... but now at days i think its only another interface of linux ... correct me if im wrong

I don't understand people who want to use Linux but don't want to leave Windows.What's the point of trying it then? You want to use Linux? Format your drive and install it, that's the best way of doing it.Ofcorse you can also use LIVE distributions, but don't come up with stupid ideas like Lindows, Winix, Win-Lin and so on.Linux under Windows is just a freaking disaster! Use either Windows or Linux, don't mix these two together!For all of you kids out there, haven't you heard of VMWARE?

do you already installed ubunut linux??? do you recommend it'???

i entered to the website but im not sure to try it  :D

166353[/snapback]

I use Ubuntu, it is the single greatest linux community in the world.

While still fairly new, it's popularity exploded so there is alotta development and active forums, and good irc channels.

having a good community is very important, especially when you depend on them for support. It's nice to have people backing you up, as learning new software isn't easy.

Most of the people in the ubuntu community will gladly help you and respect you right away for just wanting to learn the system.

I've tried just about every distro out there when i was first thinking about linux, and ever since i first booted up ubuntu, i fell in love.

It has a beautiful philosify and is built on debian, so you know it's stable and has a great package management tool.

Ubuntu is great for the begginner or seasoned pro, it is for lack of a better word "perfect" =o) happy trails.

email me if you have any questions.

freedom jazz dance at gmail dot com

i would recommend ordering a free cd, because its nice to have, but i wouldn't take advantage of there offer, the defult is 10, i ordered 5 and gave the extra ones out to people i met at the cafe and a few to friends.

I don't recommed the live disc "just to see what its like" because *a lot* of features and software is not accessable.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Trusty

the guide is very helpful, i don't know where i'd be without it

i have used vmware work station 4.5 and it is greatit allows u to install linux in windows and also u can install lower versionof windows in vmwarethanx bye :D try vm ware

The best way to try linux is to get a live cd version,you don't use your hard disk and when you don't want to work with linux you just put the cd out of your cd unit and boot your computer normally and enter Windows. And there's no risk to damage your computer and other operation systems installed on it if you're a newbie in linux.

Try Debian. Ubuntu is based on debian and you will find easy to use.

Recommend, specially what bsdpowa said.

Format a partition and install on it!!.

170582[/snapback]

i would still say that for a newbie ubuntu has a much kinder community than debian,

and i think ubuntu is easier to setup. (taking less knowledge) Debian users are more hardcore and it is definatley an "old school" linux distro, people have been using it for years.

"The best way to try linux is to get a live cd version,

you don't use your hard disk and when you don't want to work with linux you just put the cd out of your cd unit and boot your computer normally and enter Windows. And there's no risk to damage your computer and other operation systems installed on it if you're a newbie in linux." -baffo

i don't think this is true as a live cd is not accually an operating system running on the computer. could you imagine not having windows installed and using a cd to run it off of... Cd roms are slow and you can't write to them... I really don't like live distros, if you want to try linux, commit to it and install it,

and do your very best not to use windows, it gets very tempting to switch back because knowing how to do something under windows doesn't mean you can do it under linux, you'll need to learn a new way of doing things all over again, and this can be frusterating at first. having good support is very important in learning anything new

Good luck!

Well, first of all running windows under linux or vise versa would be terribly slow, a better way of doing this is using "REAL VNC" Which is a remote controled terminal, (requires two computers)

And you have to pay for it! i dont have $200 to throw away on some software.

and it's incredibly easy to make your installation dual boot, which means you either have 2 hard drives (easiest way) or by partitioning one hard drive. To do this you'll probably have to install winows first.

I did this when i was first getting to know my beloved(ubuntu) and it was helpful because at first i was having some problems getting online, so i rebooted into windows so i could get online and get some help. But as soon as i had linux online, i began using windows less and less, now not at all, in my house, of course every(well not every) public computer is running windows still.

yay linux =o)

ubuntu, peace.

Christopher.

why u don't try VMWare , wif this tool u can run many OSes toghther! depends on your hardware >>>> VMWare.com

171373[/snapback]

Who can tell me the details of how to install Fedora Core 5 using VMWare workstation v5.5 under Windows XP. I do NOT want to install Linux as dual-boot. THAT I can figure out. There must be a way by allocating resources in the VM machine and installing the proper way so that I can always boot into XP without dual boot then use VMWare to start a Linux session. Who is the wiz here???