xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heavensounds

What Am I Going To Do Today? new discovery..

Wired report, that Nathan Eagle, a researcher for MIT, recently finished a project in which he was researching habits and customs of 100 people. With the data, he got from the research, he was able to predict with 85% reliability what a certain person will do in the next few moments or near future...

Mobile phones Nokia 6600 were given to 100 students and working on MIT. On those phones was a certain software which saved the current position of the user and throguh the bloetooth searched for other test-users, which are in the range of the bluetooth signal.

With this acquired data, which was suplemented with data of all-made-calls, time of calls and missed calls, Eagle managed with Data Mining methods to predict if a certain is going to go out with friends in the evening. Gathered data also enabled the view in users responses to certain actions and their behaviour before difficult tasks. Eagle found out that workers work at night also for example...

Eagle sees the project as a way to envision how mobile devices will further change our lives, but also as a revolutionary new way to study social networks and adds that this experiment shows a way in which mobile phones will change our lives in the future..

Eagle is already in talks with a large networking company that is interested in handing out phones to its employees to learn how its organization really works, compared with how the company's organizational chart says it works.

Gathered data helped the 100 "experiments" also, because they were able to look thrgouh theit entire saved history - "How much did I sleep in October?" "When was the last time I went out with Mary?" "What happened than??"

Chris Stakutis, coavtor of the book Inescapable data said:

"We want to have our life choreographed, cataloged, witnessed and archived. Now we are heading to a world where this is possible without effort."

But, DO WE REALLY WANT THAT?????? :D

Notice from KuBi:
When taking statments form other people use
tags.
Edited by KuBi (see edit history)

Well i really don't know.....Probly get my clan ready for war and recruit some war members also recruit some gaming members and probly work on my index for my fornt page and *BLEEP* i hope this clan is good i love making clans so much fun i have been in bnet seen 2003 and its been fun all this new stuff i have learned

No way, I wouldn't want that. However, if I was asked to have my ideas and beliefs recorded, I might offer a "yes."If more people have the same way of thinking as I, I think there will be less depressed people. I would think so since I don't get depressed much. You can never assumed anything though.

Well lets see here.............I am going to go pc gaming and play alot games then i am gonna run ym clan and stuff then i'm get ready for bed then in morning i will go to school then i egt home and work on the clan for lil while thenw atch a movie and eat and have some fun then hang out with my big bro he plays games alot like me

it somehow occurs to me that some people here only read the topic but not the first post or any posts in here at all o_Owell, for studying social networks this is really a great idea - there's no way you can get such detailled data by using questionnaires. I might participate in such a study myself if I know that it'll be hard to find out which cell phone I got - "participant #1234 was near participant #5678 in the morning and spent the evening with this person" would be an acceptable brach of my privacy if noone can connect #1234 to me.For supervising a company's employees or even the citizens of a country (or, come to that, all people who've got mobiles) this would also be great - or scary, depending on your point of view. yeah, most of the people here probably won't be of any interest to the average intelligence agency, but guess how great it would be to be able to find out whom a person has contact to with the effort of analyzing log files? that would be even better than people carrying mobile phones which are always on stand by [due to some laws which are about to pass legislation and a discovery by the EFF, I (and some other people) assume that it's not only possible to use a mobile phone to spy on people (after all, you're carrying a microphone around with you) in theory but is already possible. Did you know that many color laser printers add informations about the time and the printer's serial number in a regular pattern on whatever print job they get?]...