xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whistle

Url Forwarding

URL forwarding is also called shot url. That is, use a short url to represent a long url. Thus less alphabats will be typed for go to a target website. If you got a web hosting with the cpanel, you may find the url forwarding. There are two popular ways to make a url forwarding. One uses a subdirectory, and the other uses a subdirectory. When I first time knew the url forwarding, I was interested in how it works. I think there are a lot of people who may be interested in to as me, so I try to discuss that in the thread. When you have a cpanel, you may create a subdomain and forward it to a target url. May anyone provide his experience about how to use scripts, such as php, to implement a automatic service for others? Using url forwarding by a directory could be much easier than the sundomain. A set of PHP scripts could implement such a service. Whenever a name is registered, a directory named as the registered name and a redirection file for forwarding, i.e. index.html or index.php, will be copy into said directory. Thus, when someone use a url such as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, the redirection file will be responsed. May anyone share some experience about this or related scripts here?

Hello you can redirect your domain just change your nameserver from domain control panel and set aliasing/forwarding in Cpanel.you can also forward subdomain using add-on domain.But care it will take 24-72 hour for propogate all over globe.

If you're asking what I think you're asking - which is how to do you set up subdomains automatically without using cPanel (eg. through a script), in this case for the purpose of URL forwarding such as provided by CJB.net or CO.nr - then the short answer is, you can't.The slightly longer answer is that you can add an 'A' record to your domain name (which is done via your domain registrar) to point all subdomains to yoursite.com (eg. *.yoursite.com -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/your IP address) and have a script which would process requests according to the 'Host' header sent by the client. That way, virtual hosts are not set up on the server in the same way you would do with cPanel (or in your server configuration file, if you had access), and don't really 'exist'.I hope that makes a little sense.