xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alexia

Font need help

hiI find one font on internet and i want use on my web sitebut that font is not standard in windows and user can not view thatusers must download and install font to view site in font desingi want to know how can i use this font on my web site with out downloads user font My mien is CSS or html codei want code to automatic show font to user with out manual download font with userthanks ;)

You can use the fonts in images. That always works. You can also make it so that you generate the images on the fly with PHP. Either way, you can use the font that you like, and your visitors will see it.

Yup, I second snlildude's suggestion. Unless you're planning some massive paragraphs with this particular font, just settle for images. It works nicely and looks good too! (once again, as long as it's not some 100MB image file XD)

This is not a failproof solution, but I heard it does work, I tried it at one time BUT because I used external CSS it didn't work (the program creates inline css and I ended up with conflicts etc etc so I gave up after finding out that a lot of webbies had similar issues)Google for WEFT (it's an MS product that only uses the letters you use of a certain font, and then creates an OEF or EOF file so that visitors of your site can see the font, without having it installed on the pc - but like I said it's not fail proof)

I have tried using that Microsoft thing before and it didn't work (causing conflicts left right and centre) so I made the text an image and used that. If you are planning on writing paragraphs with this font then use a web-safe font that is easy to read.

You can use the fonts in images. That always works. You can also make it so that you generate the images on the fly with PHP. Either way, you can use the font that you like, and your visitors will see it.

164852[/snapback]

Too lazy, but do you hace the php code to generate images on the fly using some font?

Thanks.

But if i user font i image my site is very big Oh think 10000 ta image its really eat big bandwith but thanks to all friends to help meIf i can use that with css is to be very good

But if i user font i image my site is very big

Oh think 10000 ta image its really eat big bandwith

but thanks  to all friends to help me

If i can use that with css is to be very good

166054[/snapback]

There is a great solution, which does not take any dowloading, is smaller than a whole bunch of images, and easily changed.

But, it requires flash. You can make an empty document with a white background (or whatever color the background of your site is), and make a dynamic text box. If this font is installed in your system, select the text box and then choose the font you want it to be.

Click on the "character" button. Click on specify ranges and select uppercase, lowercase, numerals, and punctuation. This way flash includes all of those characters of the font. Next give the dynamic text box a variable (example text). Now upload the swf, and call it the name of your font. Then whenever you want this text on your site, place the swf there, and add the variable text to the url.

Example:

http://ww38.yoursite.com/nameoffont.swf?text=put whatever text you want to show up here!!!

You can use the same swf for all the text on your site. This saves space, and the swf will be small because the only thing in it is the font information. To change or update the text just change the varialble in your source!!!!

If you have any questions just post it here, i will be happy to answer them. :huh:

I think that there is some way you can use a font that is located on the same server (FTP/upload the font file to a folder of your site), but I do not remember exactly how you include it in your page. Best bet would be an image...Sorry I can't help and hope you get it working!

If you embed the font, I'm pretty sure it only works with MSIE. The WEFT program does work, and I have used it. But it is querky and you need to define any domains and/or subdomains you are going to use it on prior to using it. then you have to insert the code into your css. The program will figure out which characters you use on your site or you can tell it to create all of the characters. If you create all of the characters though, it really bogs down your download time. Plus your leaving out anyone who doesn't use IE. I think the flash thing sounds like the most reasonable solution.

Fine, that WEFT thingy works in IE4+ - but you can forget about people using anything other than IE/Win. That's Mac users (except those wierd IE5/Mac people - rare) of all kinds, firefox users, and opera users. (Note that I fall into every one of these categories, except the IE5/Mac boat.)

Fine, that WEFT thingy works in IE4+ - but you can forget about people using anything other than IE/Win. That's Mac users (except those wierd IE5/Mac people - rare) of all kinds, firefox users, and opera users. (Note that I fall into every one of these categories, except the IE5/Mac boat.)

192577[/snapback]

Exactly what i meant in the prior post... I still think you should use flash...