xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wariorpk

Reinstalling Everything On Your Computer It Is Very Annoying

Yesterday I had to reinstall everything on my computer. That is all fine and dandy if I only need to reinstall Windows so I decided to use the File & Settings Transfer Wizard. After I installed Windows I used the wizard to import my files and settings. The only stuff that actually got transfered was a few of my documents, my background, and thats it. Thats just a pain installing all that stuff over again, trust me.

I had gone through this painful process before. I was pretty happy to know about the Files and Settings transfer wizard backing up everything leaving everything the way it was before the installation. That's what I thought at least. You were lucky enough to get some of your documents transfered. For me, it was plain old nothing; and (for me) it takes around a month to insall all the required software and settle down with the settings.I feel for you, because every person goes through a "data loss" phase.

It is annoying, but Microsoft don't think people want to preserve their programs. The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is meant to be used to transfer your personal documents and settings, such as screensaver and cursors to a new PC. You do then have to install all software yourself, as the wizard cannot run install programs etc.

Let this be a warning to everyone:

Keep your install CDs!!

well...... i agree that reinstalling every single software on your computer is a really really hard and painful process. But you see, you reinstall the softwares stored on your computer previously because everything on your pc is lost. During the process, you can also get rid of programs which you installed previously but are useless to you now.i just can't imagine how a dial-up user is going to reinstall all the software installed on his computer where 99% percent of the softwares can only be downloaded from the web :D;)

I have to format my pc every month ;) It's an old system from 1999 running on win98 and after a month it gets so crappy, I have no other choice then to f-disk. Takes me 5 hours to download and reinstall everything I had before. So I think I'm getting used to the process :D

My dad and I had to do this twice. Of course everything was gone. We didn't know about File transfer wizard yet. We were still using 98. The first time, we had to reinstall 98, and the 2nd time, we formatted everthing, installed 98 and upgraded to XP. My dad doesn't want to install XP without 98 first. We can't seem to run the XP installer in the "Big DOS mode" *I call it that* SO we just upgrade. If there's a way to install XP in the Dos Mode, please tell me. Any help will be appreciated. ;)

I would strongly suggest that all of you look into a program called Acronis Trueimage.It has been a lifesaver for me. I rebuild my PC every month or so. Typically.. just to keep it running smoothly after installing and uninstalling software that I just want to play around with.Basically this program allows you to make an exact image of your hard disk drive, including all settings and software.I made a backup DVD of my system and now I can simply restore from that DVD to get my system back to normal.I Installed Windows, installed all of the software that I regularly use, set up my E-Mail and personal settings, created the image.. and that's it.Now.. whenever I rebuild my computer.. I just restore the image.. and all I have to do is run a couple of updates if any are available... and I am back up to speed in a matter of minutes.

well i had the pleasure of that happening but different circumstances, while i was in was in the desert went through 3 hard drives on my laptop that blew especially when i had to a few weeks for my parents to send the hard drive over, it was the heat and sand, but i don't really rebuild my sytem i just disk clean it and defrag then run norton for anything. i only can image how many dvds you have since you only can write on them once.

that does suck...terribly...i remember my crapy compaq up and crashed and we had just got it...the motherboard overheated or something...i dont know...but anyway once it was fixed had to reinstall everything, and it was tedious and annoying...but now i have a dell and the world is a better place

My dad and I had to do this twice. Of course everything was gone. We didn't know about File transfer wizard yet. We were still using 98. The first time, we had to reinstall 98, and the 2nd time, we formatted everthing, installed 98 and upgraded to XP. My dad doesn't want to install XP without 98 first. We can't seem to run the XP installer in the "Big DOS mode" *I call it that* SO we just upgrade. If there's a way to install XP in the Dos Mode, please tell me. Any help will be appreciated.  :)

164460[/snapback]

This happened to me also. When ever I popped in the CD and let it boot, it would hang on the screen where it says "Detecting your hardware settings" or something like that. I also used to install ME and upgrade it to XP. But then I upgraded my hard-disk and tried running the DOS boot and it worked. The installation pushed through without any problems. So I guess it was a problem with my hard-disk. You probably are using a old one; try upgrading it, then try installing. Might work.

I d when I had to do this. The worst part was that I didnt know about any programs that can transfer your old data to your new computer, so I had to just start all over, downloading all of the programs, setting up my HUGE favorites list, setting up my wallpaper, cursors and other stuff. And what realy got on my nerves were those programs that you can only install on one computer, gosh that was so annoying. Good thing its over :) .

I had to reinstall everything last week .... by the time I'd backed up files, reinstalled windows updates and a miriad of other little programmes I use on my system .... it was an all day job .... I can think of better ways of spending my day off .... or can I???

Posted Image

I hate having to do that. Of course I don't do it, the one who sold me my computer does it. If it breaks soon I doubt I'll ever be able to get it fixed. I don't have the driver installations or a Windows installation CD because I lent it to my brother and never saw it again. Then having to start all over again and try installing everything isn't so bad I can do it one day at a time, I don't really do much on it anyways.

There is an automated installation function in Windows XP (I think it is somewhere in the resource kit), and I have read articles teaching people to generate the script for reinstallation immediately upon a clean installation is done. The function is actually for admins which may have to install software on tens to hundreds of computers, but since Windows is notorious for poor security and instability, the automated installation function may offer valuable help when the OS fails. I don't think the procedure witll be complicated, just that you have to move some files to the i386 directory of the installation disc and you got to have programs like UltraISO or Nero for the job.Alternatively, you may ghost your clean installation using Norton Ghost or even Nero Harddisk backup. You will save yourself much time for a reinstallation. (Hopefully, this won't happen again!)

the files and settings transfer wizard isnt capable of copying programmes, it is simply for people who have got a new computer, to get the settings the way they like them ect.If you want to move programmes around, you have to buy special software, as software has to be "anchored" into the operating system.