xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Know Your Future Disaster By Name can you name the next Hurricane?

I initially thought about posting this topic in What Is�? section but the answer was so simple that I would have kept rambling on instead of cutting right down to the chase. So I decided to throw a little twist to the title and make it a regional discussion topic. Without further a due, I present to you the list of your future disaster enemy!

I had an idea to write this article one day watching the weather channel. You see, when you get old the weather channel becomes your focal point of your entertainment! HA HA HA, I�m kidding. I pay special attention to the weather channel because I travel a lot and make my own travel arrangements. The last thing I need is to be stuck in an airport due to a thunder storm. Anyway, I�ve always wondered who names these storms--hurricanes to be exact--and why do they have names like Hurricane Dennis like the current weather anomaly. When I searched for Hurricane names here is what I found:

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma

Not only the names are in alphabetical order, but they alternate in gender and most of all they are predetermined. Much to my surprise the names are reused and predetermined until the year 2007, according to this website. By the way, these names are applied for Hurricanes around the Atlantic Ocean area. This main site explains what Pacific region has predetermined as well. Apparently, the same names are rotated every 6 years. You can also realize from the lists of names that each year�s sequential name is also rotated in gender. For example, the year 2003�s first hurricane was female named �Ana� and the year 2004�s first hurricane was male named �Alex� and so on. After this year�s much watched Dennis hitting the Mexico coast line, Hurricane Emily should be right around the corner.

Whoah, that's creepy. So the hurricanes are in alphebetical order and come in that order! That's so wierd. Is it also true that hurricanes are more powerful if they have a male name? Just curious on that one..I wish I had a hurricane named after me.. "Hurricane KuBi is expected to hit the state of florida with a power of 999999 MPH wind speed. There will be no survivors". lol..Very interesting.

Silly hurricane newbies. I knew that's how hurricanes are named when I was in middle school. :DAnyway, I'm glad to see that they're using Hispanic names such as Jose now. I can't wait until they do oriental names such as Nguyen or Wasabi. ;) Interesting find, Buffalo.

Silly hurricane newbies. I knew that's how hurricanes are named when I was in middle school. :D

Show off! :D So you think your middle school was better than mine? ;)

Anyway, I'm glad to see that they're using Hispanic names such as Jose now. I can't wait until they do oriental names such as Nguyen or Wasabi. :(

163884[/snapback]

HA!!! Can you just see the headlines? "Hurricane Wasabi devastates local farmers" or "Storm Kawasaki cuts through Florida like a Ninja's ginsu knife".

Whoah, that's creepy. So the hurricanes are in alphebetical order and come in that order! That's so wierd. Is it also true that hurricanes are more powerful if they have a male name? Just curious on that one..I wish I had a hurricane named after me.. "Hurricane KuBi is expected to hit the state of florida with a power of 999999 MPH wind speed. There will be no survivors". lol..

Very interesting.

163880[/snapback]

;) If it really comes through hitting 999999 MPH wind speed at florida, you will cry and regret for it...

Anyway, that's a new findout and I didn't realise hurricanes' names comes in alphabetical...