xisto Community
epox

Help With Trap 17 Cpnael Files And Archives! what are all that archives about?

hey!!! how do you!, i have been walking arround in the develope environment that Xisto offers, it is great! but i still don't understand all the archives in there, what are .fantastico, .htpasswds, and some contents of that folders like _vti_bin, _vti_log, etc... Please someone tell me what are they, and how they work or at last a suggestion on how to begin.thanks!

hey!!! how do you!, i have been walking arround in the develope environment that Xisto offers, it is great! but i still don't understand all the archives in there, what are .fantastico, .htpasswds, and some contents of that folders like _vti_bin, _vti_log, etc... Please someone tell me what are they, and how they work or at last a suggestion on how to begin.

thanks!

163316[/snapback]

Fantastico is a set of PHP scripts that you can install from your control panel. Not exactly sure about the others, but they're probably for the running of the control panel in some form. The only folders you'll really need are the public_html or the www. The rest you probably shouldn't worry about.

then i can use www instead of public_html?

They are one in the same. When you click on www link from your cPanel it leads to public_html. It's a shortcut to public_html folder. www is a link. Nothing more.

and please somebody tell me the dns of my databases!

163341[/snapback]

I don't understand your question...?!? The DNS of your database is your domain name of Xisto root directory. Could you clarify what you are trying to do?

I also don?t know what are that folders for... but I suppose they?re irrelevant unless you want to make a very sophisticated website. In fact, I only use www/public_html to upload my files. And mysql, of course.Anyway it would be good to know what are vti_bin and _vti_log for. :D

dns should be of your domain and should be directed to ns1.trap17.comns2.trap17.comShould be correct, correct me if I'm wrong...

Hi epox,You can find a huge Help File at the CPanel website. It tells you just about everything you would ever want to know about all the files & folders and their functionality in CPanel. It's a downloadable .CHM file , so you can download it & run it offline. Also be sure to check out their Links (or "resources" - can't remember which) section for lots more helpful info. Just Google "CPanel" and you should find the website OK.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Fantastico is a set of PHP scripts that you can install from your control panel. Not exactly sure about the others, but they're probably for the running of the control panel in some form. The only folders you'll really need are the public_html or the www. The rest you probably shouldn't worry about.

163322[/snapback]

No, no, no. He did not want to know what Fantastico is...he wanted to know what the folder .fantastico is. There is a period in there. He also wanted to know what the other folders are:

Posted Image

epox, I'm guessing that .htpasswds, after looking at it, contains folders that you don't want other people to see. For example, if you don't want people to see your /images/ directory, you would make a folder titled images inside the .htpasswds folder.

.fantastico contains several preinstalled scripts. You can go into Fantastico of your cpanel to install those scripts.

then i can use www instead of public_html?

163341[/snapback]

Yes, you can. I use go to www all the time, and it works.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Edit: Used a thumbnail instead of a huge image.

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

No, no, no. He did not want to know what Fantastico is...he wanted to know what the folder .fantastico is. There is a period in there.
.fantastico contains several preinstalled scripts. You can go into Fantastico of your cpanel to install those scripts.

But wasn't that what I said?

Never mind - It would probably be best to just read a cPanel tutorial online so that you can grasp what the random folders are. My advice to you is that if you don't know what it is or what it does, you probably shouldn't mess with it too much because it could screw things up royally.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Corrected BB code.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

But wasn't that what I said?

Never mind - It would probably be best to just read a cPanel tutorial online so that you can grasp what the random folders are. My advice to you is that if you don't know what it is or what it does, you probably shouldn't mess with it too much because it could screw things up royally.

163438[/snapback]

Not really. You just told him what Fantastico was (the one in cpanel). I told him about the one in File Manager. :-/

But yeah, read the documentation on cpanel if you want to know more.