xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rowita

[Tech] Blu-ray Disc ... Stores up to 50GB Data

Posted Image

More pictures: http://www.blu-ray.com/media/

What is Blu-ray?

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by thirteen leading consumer electronics and pc companies (Dell, Hitachi, HP, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition television (HDTV). Blu-ray makes it possible to record over 2 hours of HDTV, or more than 13 hours of SDTV on a 25GB disc. There are also plans for higher capacity discs that are expected to hold up to 50GB of data.

The Blu-ray Disc Founders are:

Dell, Inc.

Hewlett-Packard Company

Hitachi, Ltd.

LG Electronics Inc.

Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.

Mitsubishi Electric Corporation

Pioneer Corporation

Royal Philips Electronics

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

Sharp Corporation

Sony Corporation

TDK Corporation

Thomson

Additional:

If sony starts using it for PS3 than the games we would buy would be more expensive than ever. And maybe the hardware too. Because wouidn't you need a faster "thing" to read the large data disc? The whole concept is great but I"m pretty sure its not going to be public anytime soon.

I don't think so, because a major change in the hardware is wavelength of the laser and accuracy of the head (it's about reading/writing more data from/to the media with the size of current DVDs) so there's no such speedy thing and because it's not just in the hand of Sony and they already have the technology, it would not be so expensive ( I HOPE! )

I'd like to use this disk for computer backups... I hate having to sort through everything, deciding what to but on my back up disk and what not to. I'd love the extra space.

well, by the time Blu-Ray becomes the standard we'll have terrabytes of data stored in harddisks anyway, so it won't be any different than dvd-r today.However there is a bigger problem. Hollywood decided to go with the DVD Forum and the next gen HD-DVD which stores up to 20GB on a single layer.So if they divide, then sony will lose its movie playing function. Moreover, manufacturers are already picking their sides. For example Sanyo, NEC and Toshiba opted to go with HD-DVD. Hopefully this competition between the formats will bring down the prices :)

LoL...Hope it will be implemented for our daily usage, it will save a lot of space in my CD racks....Btw, how about its price, if it is used for PS3 games, then it shouldn't cost so much right?

I think that for now bly-ray discs are very expensive.And Games on Bly-Ray Discs will be untouchable,as now as HD Technology isnt very outspread.I still working in DVD and CD.To buy a bly ray device is pretty expensive and you will have a much more money to get a bly ray disc and burn on it :)

I also heard about Blue-ray Disc not well found. Thanks for sharing information.But i think its much expensive and takes times about 5/10 years to come to Nepal. Hope in future It will be cheaper then we will use lots of BD to store stuffs.

If sony start using blu-ray on PS3, that would be a major problem! not to mention about the price! PS3 is already expensive enough for me right now, think how expensive it is if it's using blu-ray

If sony start using blu-ray on PS3, that would be a major problem! not to mention about the price! PS3 is already expensive enough for me right now, think how expensive it is if it's using blu-ray

PS3 *does* use BlueRay. That's why the games are usually 28-34 GB's in size.

I seriously hope you are kidding. The play station 3 has used blu-ray since it has been released.

I just bought one about a month ago and honestly I don't see much of a difference. Maybe if it was side by side but other than that I just stick to dvds because they are a lot cheaper. For gaming on the other hand the ps3 having blu-ray is a advanage. I believe the xbox 360 is maxed out in performance while the ps3 has much more to give. The ps3 disks can just hold so much more information. So far this isn't used to its full advantage and probably won't for a while. Back when this first came out I said that this would never catch on because of the price but slowly it is starting to gain speed and may replace the dvd within the years to come.

If sony Ps3 would use this discs there will be a mess.Nobody will buy that discs because they will be expensive and remember today is a worlds recession ! :P The most of people havent money to buy a bly rays .The quality will be "extRa good" but the price will be as high as sky scraper :P:)