xisto Community
cse-icons

Speed Up Acrobat Reader Loading

hi friends,Do u get irritated when acrobat reader takes 5/10 seconds to load when you want to open a pdf document. There is a way to speed up the loading.1. Go to the installation folder of acrobat reader (C:\program files\adobe\acrobat\reader\.. whatever)2. Move all the files and folders from the "plugins" directory to the "Optional" directory. (I repeat.. cut and paste the files NOT copy & paste). Also make sure that acrobat reader is not open else it will lock the files and not allow you to move the files).Now your acrobat reader will load very fast and almost as good as notepad..Happy Reading,Cheers.

hmmm that would have helped me like 5 years ago,, but i rarely go to sites that have pdf files in them.1100 posts WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

hmmm that would have helped me like 5 years ago,, but i rarely go to sites that have pdf files in them.

1100 posts WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

163142[/snapback]

Do you use Firefox? Firefox had this thing where it crashed everytime you clicked on a pdf link. That problem is fixed now.

And I got 1100 posts a long time ago, too. :D

I did it and it actually worked.It takes now +/- 3 secs :D Very cool :(

WOW!!!This is a great tip. I just did it last night and it works. Now I am wondering if I will eventually miss any functionality of Acrobat Reader. Can anyone say what these plugins are for? And if it is possible to activate them from inside the interface, (I mean without moving the files back into their original folder,) just in case I need one of them?Thanks a lotJoe

Meep... this tip sounds great, but the only problem is... I don't have an 'Optional' directory in my Adobe Acrobat folder! >_< I have a 'plug_ins' folder though =__=;;

164221[/snapback]

Which version of Acrobat reader are you using.. I have tried it with Acrobat Reader 5.0 Not sure about other versions.

btw, it works fine coz.. if acrobat requires any plugin while loading and does not find it in the plugins folder it will check the optional folder for the same. (at least thats what I understood and actually thats what the whole idea should have been).

but sometime you view pdfs over the internet which opens the file in the browser. I am not sure but it requires the EWH32.api (window handler api) to be in the plugins folder. If any of you face that problem of pdf not opening on the web, just move EWH32.api file to the plugins folder. It should work fine now.

Cheers.

Which version of Acrobat reader are you using.. I have tried it with Acrobat Reader 5.0 Not sure about other versions.

164258[/snapback]

I'm using Acrobat 6.0 ... >_< Is that why this doesn't work for me?

I normally wouldn't reply to a Topic as old as this, but the result of the reccomendation given here was phenomenal. I'll bet it cut the load time for Acrobat reader down to at least one third and maybe one quarter of the time it normally took to load up. This advise is highly reccomended by me even if you don't use the Reader very often. Lately I have been downloading lots of stff that is PDF, so this Tutorial was a God-send. Thanks to the author.

Meep... this tip sounds great, but the only problem is... I don't have an 'Optional' directory in my Adobe Acrobat folder! >_< I have a 'plug_ins' folder though =__=;;

I guess you can also create the directory yourself if there isn't an 'Optional' directory. Basically the idea is just move every single plugins away from the plugin folder so the PDF reader will not load them. Loading plugins certain takes quite some time. But of course, most of us only use PDF reader to read PDF documents. We might not edit the PDF files, hence I think most plugins ignored will not cause a problem.

Probably certain non-english characters that require plugins to read them. Otherwise, no pluggins loaded will work as well..

I also hate the long opening time of AReader so I uninstalled AcrobatReader... Becasue I find a perfect replacement: FoxIt Reader.

It's a tiny file (1mb), it doesnt require installation. Just click the .exe you downloaded. If only thing you do with AcrobatReader is reading .pdf and I say switch to this program.

It opens as lighting fast.

Posted Image

You can download FoxIt Pro if you want to edit .pdf