xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
unicornrose

What Is A Series? Start in the middle or begin

You know what a series is: A grouping of simular or alike objects or related subjects. You find them in sports, movies and in books. You can find them in many other places too. The series that I am about to discuss is the Alien Series. It is considered on of the cult classics of our time. At least I think so. I first encountered the series when I was babysitting when I was in my teens. After the kids had gone to bed and were sleeping I was looking through the tape collection and found Aliens. I had been curious about the series so I watched it. Hehe I watched it in the dark and it was pretty late at night. I scared the bejevies out of myself. LOL I really liked the movie though. So when the other movies came out I went to see them. I have loved every single one of them. Well my roommate recently got all of the Alien movies on DVD as a special set. Well I decided that over the course of the next week or two I am going to watch all of them all the way through. Well the other night I watched Alien the very first movie. In watching it I discovered that I had never actually seen the first movie. I had seen scenes from it and other bits and peices but never ever had I actually seen it. It was great. So my thought is that the directors and people who had written and worked on the films did such a good job with the continuity and adding subtle back story that I was able to understand all the referances even though I had missed the first movie. I have also noticed when reading books that are series that a good author will include a plot synopsis of past books to bring a reader up to speed if they missed the first few books. I have to say though that I think most of the time it is far better to start at the beginning because alot of things make alot more sense if your read from the beginning. However, I do think that each book or movie should be able to stand alone. So if someone does come in the middle of the series on accident they will still understand what is going on. If it is done well enough they may even get curious and read or watch the stuff that came before. What is all of your thoughts?

totally agree if you start in the middle you lose alot of information like who the villian/hero is, basic plot of the story, and all other details that make the series deep in its own right.i read afew books back in my hey day, that the author brings you up to spped, but most of the time i just read the back of the book, or inside the cover. you don't see to many people doing that anymore though, maybe in those mushy romance novels....aliens was pretty good ***my stomach....(alien pops out) OMG!!! splat***.

I think series starts from beginning.. However it is a sub-part of the main company...Just like the Nokia series 60..Series 60 comes out from nowhere in Nokia.. and the 60 series starts from its beginning..

I have also noticed when reading books that are series that a good author will include a plot synopsis of past books to bring a reader up to speed if they missed the first few books.  I have to say though that I think most of the time it is far better to start at the beginning because alot of things make alot more sense if your read from the beginning.  However, I do think that each book or movie should be able to stand alone.  So if someone does come in the middle of the series on accident they will still understand what is going on.

I've always thought that the in-book synopses were usually just to give readers a refresher, so they're reminded of past events and can keep them fresh in their minds as they read. Isaac Asimov said something like this about his Foundation series - every time he wrote a new story, he had to go back and read all the others to make sure he got all the details right. It would get quite tedious if we had to go back and re-read (or re-watch) all the preceding books/movies every time a new one came out.

Lately I've been reading Arthur C. Clarke, and I've noticed that in his 2001 series, he tends to copy large chunks out of previous books. I know I've seen the excerpt about Europan life at least three times now. That, to me, gets almost as tedious as the rereading-all-the-books method; the best kind of synopsis is the kind that can be fitted seamlessly into the narrative, as sort of a gentle reminder of the past rather than a full-on "this is what happened the last time".

Lately I've been reading Arthur C. Clarke, and I've noticed that in his 2001 series, he tends to copy large chunks out of previous books. I know I've seen the excerpt about Europan life at least three times now. That, to me, gets almost as tedious as the rereading-all-the-books method; the best kind of synopsis is the kind that can be fitted seamlessly into the narrative, as sort of a gentle reminder of the past rather than a full-on "this is what happened the last time".

162814[/snapback]

I also find those in book synopsis very tedious when they are long and drawn out. The synopsis that I was refering too were the ones at the beginning before the actual book begins. Those are usually just before the forward or the intro of the book if there is one. I don't mind short flashbacks that refresh the memory of the reader but if the fashback takes up several pages and is basically a repeat of another book I do find it very tedious and boring. I like to be so involved with the story that I can loose track of time sometimes. That can happen if the author is good enough. ;)

Hi:I don't think I have ever read a series of books. As a child, I read Nancy Drew. However, they each stood on their own merit. I have read several John Grisham books, but again, each is an independent entity.Sunkist

i remember UFO,

In the year 1980, a secret military organization named SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation) becomes operational. Its purpose is to defend the Earth from a race of Aliens who've been kidnapping humans for body parts.
SHADO's main headquarters is hidden beneath a London film studio. It also has a base on the moon (Moonbase) and a fleet of submarines (Skydiver). Incoming UFO's are initially detected by an Earth orbiting satellite named SID (Space Intruder Detector). An initial interception attempt is made in space with three Interceptors launched from Moonbase. A second attempt is made in the Earth's atmosphere with a fighter plane (Sky One) launched from Skydiver. Landed UFO's are tracked down with ground Mobiles.

SHADO is run by the extremely dedicated Commander Ed Straker. His seconds in command are Col. Alec Freeman, Col. Paul Foster, and Col. Virginia Lake. Moonbase is often commanded by Lt. Gay Ellis.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
I almost got away with it but I copied from this source http://mateengreenway.com/anderson/ufo.htm and did not use QUOTE tag. Warning adjustment please.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

When it comes to a series of books/movies, I usually prefer to start at the very beginning - where the characters are introduced and background of the story is established. For example, The Hobbit - one of the finest adventure stories I have ever read - can stand on its own merit, yet it is also an effective "prequel" to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which fleshes out more of the background story while introducing several new characters.

When it comes to a series of books/movies, I usually prefer to start at the very beginning - where the characters are introduced and background of the story is established. For example, The Hobbit - one of the finest adventure stories I have ever read - can stand on its own merit, yet it is also an effective "prequel" to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which fleshes out more of the background story while introducing several new characters.

168121[/snapback]

I like what you have to say about the Hobbit. The first time I tried to read that book I was in high school. For some reason I really could not get into the book. I was reading other really difficult books at the time. Books by Arthur C. Clarke and the like. I don't know why I could not get into it.

When the movies came out I made it a point to read the entire series. Iam so glad I did. I have plans in the next few months to read them again. I really enjoy the whole series. Its amazing the character development and the well developed storyline. I am now reading The Silmrillian. Its tough because parts of it read like a history book. But the little stories and discriptions of things that have happened to the elves and how Morgoth developed make it all worth it. It certainly is opening my eyes to the extent that Tolkien went when creating his universe. He created a history as well as amazing ideas. He even created his own languages. A true brilliant mind that man is.

i remember UFO, In the year 1980, a secret military organization named SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation) becomes operational. Its purpose is to defend the Earth from a race of Aliens who've been kidnapping humans for body parts.

SHADO's main headquarters is hidden beneath a London film studio. It also has a base on the moon (Moonbase) and a fleet of submarines (Skydiver). Incoming UFO's are initially detected by an Earth orbiting satellite named SID (Space Intruder Detector). An initial interception attempt is made in space with three Interceptors launched from Moonbase. A second attempt is made in the Earth's atmosphere with a fighter plane (Sky One) launched from Skydiver. Landed UFO's are tracked down with ground Mobiles.

SHADO is run by the extremely dedicated Commander Ed Straker. His seconds in command are Col. Alec Freeman, Col. Paul Foster, and Col. Virginia Lake. Moonbase is often commanded by Lt. Gay Ellis.

167550[/snapback]

So your post is very interesting but what does it have to do with the subject at hand which is What is a Series? Did I miss something? I have looked through the other posts and am unclear as to what you may be referring to. Is UFO a Arthur C. Clarke book? I have read some of his books but its been a very long time. I am afraid my memory is not quite clear on which ones or what they were about. I would recognize them if I saw them again though. Anyway not trying to critisize just curious. :)

yes starting in the middle of the series would make the story a lot less interesting since no one would know the plot or the characters. You have to start from the beginning so you can slowly introduce the plot and the characters as the story goes along.

Edited by dundun2007 (see edit history)

Hi:

I don't think I have ever read a series of books.  As a child, I read Nancy Drew.  However, they each stood on their own merit.  I have read several John Grisham books, but again, each is an independent entity.

Sunkist

167544[/snapback]

I meant to reply to this one sooner but got distreacted by the other posts. I never read through Nancy Drew all the way. I read only a few of them. I am pretty sure that I did not read them in exact order or half the time even in sequence like I would skip some. I only read the ones that interested me when I read the teaser thing. I hae to agree with you that those books did stand on their own. I do remember enjoying them when I did read them.

Beth