xisto Community
ckuehner

First Computer You Ever Owned What was the first personal computer tha

Just a curiosity issue for me. I know that a lot of you are very young (at least compared to me), so I imagine that some of the responses will be Pentium 3's or 4's.However, bringing back memories of older technology is entertaining for me. So if you started "Back in the Good Ol' Days" I'd like to hear what you started with.The first computer that I ever personally owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. It was a small thing that hooked upi to a television for a monitor.The base system came with 1K of memory. There was no such thing as a hard drive at the time. We stored programs on tape (basically a standard audio cassette. I also had this big module that plugged into the back to increase my memory to 16K.The graphics were pitiful by todays standards, but not bad for the time. I was able to play Frogger and a lot of Text Adventures. I also used it to learn programming in BASIC and Pascal.

I think that I'm going to have the fastest-slow computer out of all you guys. My first computer ran on Windows 98. That's right. '98. It was 300 mhz, had a 6 GB hard drive and 64 MB of RAM. The graphics card was 2 MB.

My first computer ever was like 133mhz, 64mb ram, 16mb video card and hmm 15" monitor and 24k modem if i remember right and teah windows 95 :P

my first computer?? oh,let me think of it..it's just can play some old ,,very old game...anyhow it 's just using windows3.1...it's so long a time when i'm just 18 years old i think.HA:)

Mine was a Hewlett PackardBell...man, I could play any game on it I ever wanted, even leisure suit larry B)I was 5 years old at that time, *cough*.Right now it's in pieces and the case collects dusts...needed to be thoroughly cleaned. I hope I will be able to put it togheter next week to make it my data storage computer running linux! :P

Um my first computer was terrible it hardly even worked. It was a mac and it was bad. I still have it but it just sits in the corner being usless. But now i have windows xp and that's cool it works really good and runs smooth.

162249[/snapback]

Hehe. I remember using macs in classrooms. They had sweet games, too, like "Lights Out". I could never get all the darn lights to shut. :P

Mine was a Hewlett PackardBell...man, I could play any game on it I ever wanted, even leisure suit larry B)

I was 5 years old at that time, *cough*.

Right now it's in pieces and the case collects dusts...needed to be thoroughly cleaned. I hope I will be able to put it togheter next week to make it my data storage computer running linux! B)

162586[/snapback]

Lucky you. I remember my first computer being very fast, but over time (like all computers), it slowed down due to loads of useless softwares. It used to be able to handle shockwave and flash games, but since those have gotten complicated over the years, it can no longer handle anything anymore. That's why I don't connect it to the internet.

A windows '98. Thats all I can remember about it.

**represses all the crashing**

162610[/snapback]

Haha, but doesn't Windows ME crash more?

Apple IIe HA! Beat that! :PI spent a small fortune to upgrade my stock video card to 80x25 column with 64Kb of video for $80 back in those days. It had:5.25 inch DS floppy driveTape drive (it tooke me 4 minutes to load a golf putting game)9" color monitorApple stylewriter dot matrix printerand sound card that had only BEEP and BE-BEEP with different pitchIt was a hand-me-down computer but I ruled the world with that back then. I had to use weird commands to list the directory. I think it was "category" or "catalogue" and it was very similar to Unix's ls command. I gave that away to my cousin and he ended up using it as a goal keeper.

The first computer that I ever personally owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. It was a small thing that hooked upi to a television for a monitor.

The base system came with 1K of memory. There was no such thing as a hard drive at the time. We stored programs on tape (basically a standard audio cassette. I also had this big module that plugged into the back to increase my memory to 16K.

The graphics were pitiful by todays standards, but not bad for the time. I was able to play Frogger and a lot of Text Adventures. I also used it to learn programming in BASIC and Pascal.

162113[/snapback]

Nice computer hah...Well, me When I was young or lets say young compared today. I am hoping to own my computer but can't afford to buy, When I was in high school I dont know whats the look of computer, still curious whats really computer is, when I was college, that was the first time ever that I used computers, no idea yet, don't know how to use the mouse, or even response to those computer message that sometimes appeared when booting in dos mode. After college I worked and started to save money just to own even old computers.

I learned how to fixed computer and yet can't own one. After a couple of months of saving money for my computer I bought computer I don't know what version is that but pentium with 4mb of memory 500mb+ hardisk, I think that was older that pentium II,,,:P I set it up and used it, I can't play games there because it runs very slow, when somebody asked me where he can buy computer even the old one, I offered to him my computer and sell it for Php5,000 pesos. NOTE, I bough that unit for only Php 3,500 so I've got a little earn from that and start building a new one.

So the second computer I own is pentium III 550mhz with 128mb memory and the third one is AMD 800mhz and the last one is AMD Duron 2.0 with 512mb of memory that computer is the one I used while posting this post of mine B)

During that time also I realized how fast the computer changed maybe 2 or 3 months there is a new computer on the market, so your computer today would be older by tomorrow or two...B)

Well, my first ever computer was Commodore 64 (rev B I think)...I got it in 1989 or 1990, when I was about 8 years old... I know it was expensive as hell, and that we could buy a laundry washing machine for that kind of money :PAnyway, it had base of 640K RAM, youc could attach a hard disk of some sort to it, but I never saw it... I used a tape drive, for ordinary audio casettes, I had Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive (5 1/4" floppies)... Two joysticks, and a 2400bps modem :DOf course, it hooked to a TV instead of a monitor... And I know, I could run any game made for commodore... No need for more powerfull graphics cards, or stronger and faster processor... everything could be run on it...I first learned to programm in BASIC on that computer... I still have it somewhere, but I think it's not working anymore B) poor thing... He served me well :DThen came 286, 386, etc B)

Apple IIe HA! Beat that! :D

I spent a small fortune to upgrade my stock video card to 80x25 column with 64Kb of video for $80 back in those days. It had:

5.25 inch DS floppy drive

Tape drive (it tooke me 4 minutes to load a golf putting game)

9" color monitor

Apple stylewriter dot matrix printer

and sound card that had only BEEP and BE-BEEP with different pitch

It was a hand-me-down computer but I ruled the world with that back then. I had to use weird commands to list the directory. I think it was "category" or "catalogue" and it was very similar to Unix's ls command. I gave that away to my cousin and he ended up using it as a goal keeper.

162630[/snapback]

Ouch. 5.24 inch floppy drive?? That's huge.

I remember Gates saying that 1 MB is all the space one will ever need forever. Ha. Now, they have 1 TB drives.

You should have kept that computer though. It might be worth something later on.

My first computer? Anybody remember a big box called a "PC Junior"?

It had two 5 1/4 inch floppy drives and NO hard drive! I started out by learning something called Disk Operating System (DOS) version 3.0 and played "PONG" until my eyeballs hurt from being bloodshot every night!

Months later, I learned QBasic and was able to move on to some more fun things like saying, "Hello World!" Sort of reminds me of reading, "See Spot. See Spot run." But now I digress and am dating myself... :(

Today, I have many computers. My top three producers are;

1) (PIII-850MHz, 256MB RAM, 2775XDVD, purchased for Xmas of the year 2000) My trusty Toshiba laptop that goes everywhere I do.

2) (AMD Duron 1.1GHz, 1GB RAM, Off the shelf home built, configured, and loaded for bear) My "Base Unit" which carries the dubious duty of testing everything and anything before being deployed on any other computer (One of mine or of the ministry where I volunteer helping with their network, website and desktop issues), with the exception of my Linux machine.

3) (An older PII-350, 64MB RAM, an old 4.6GB HDD, which has had many different flavors, or distributions, since its "rebirth" experience) My Linux machine.

P.S. - Sorry for the empty first draft. I couldn't see where to type my post. :D

i own my first computer in 2003it is p4 and is really fast and still going goodconfiguration is- p4 1.8 ghz, 256 ram, 845 intel original motheboard, 120gb hdd, dvd-rom,cd- rwi m happy with it:)

I have gutted my oldest computer. :(It was a Pentium, the older pin processors (before the Pentium 2 cartridges and the Pentium 3 pin processors). It had somewhere around 33 MHz if I recall correctly? It ran Windows 3.1. This was in 1994, We upgraded to Windows 95 the next year. Same computer, then we got a crappy early Pentium 3 (or a late Pentium 2?) which ran Win 98. I still used the older one, it was the best :(. Asteroids, Battletanks, Centipede, I owned all of my dad's arcade favorites on it. Great machine.I really should try to scrap together some old parts and put that thing back together. Just for nostalgia's sake.BTW, I was 3 at the time we got it :D .... :D all I did was play the games, but when I was 4 I started using it more. Since then I have used all Windows and Mac OS's since 1995, as my school used Mac computers.