xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua

Dragons And what the Bible says about them.

Do dragons (not counting komodos) exist?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright, there are dragon legends from North America to China to ancient Australian peoples. If they are based on dinosaurs then that of course causes problems with the evolution theory. But do you think they exist or what are the legends based on?

First, let's see what the Bible says about them:

In the book of Job God speaks of 40 (if I recall correctly) different animals to Job, only 3 of them, the leviathan/dragon, the behemoth, and possibly the unicorn which may mean a wild goat/ox as well are presently unknown to us. It's also interesting that Job did not ask God what any of the animals were so it could be assumed that he knew of all of them from personal experience or had learned of them. But let's see what is spoken of concerning the dragon here:

Job 41:1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?

2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?

3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?

4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?

5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?

6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?

8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.

9 Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?

10 None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?

11 Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.

12 I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.

13 Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?

14 Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

16 One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17 They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.

19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.

21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.

23 The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.

24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

25 When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

26 The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.

27 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.

28 The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.

29 Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

30 Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.

31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

32 He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

33 Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.

34 He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

It would seem the leviathan:

-is huge: 41:1-2,5,7,12,25

-has airtight scales: 41:15-17

-has impenetrable skin/scales: 41:7,23,26-30

-can breathe fire: 41:18-21

-has fearsome teeth: 41:14

-has a strong neck: 41:22

-has eyelids "like the eyelids of the morning": 41:18

-lives in the depths of the sea: 41:31-32

-is utterly without fear: 41:33

-has something of a personality (pride) and may be quite intelligent: 41:34

If you still doubt just how big he is:

Psalms 104:25 So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts.

26 There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein.

But here's the interesting part. According to this passage, the leviathan will not be destroyed from the earth until the end of time:

Isaiah 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

2 In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine.

3 I the LORD do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day.

4 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together.

5 Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

6 He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root: Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.

7 Hath he smitten him, as he smote those that smote him? or is he slain according to the slaughter of them that are slain by him?

8 In measure, when it shooteth forth, thou wilt debate with it: he stayeth his rough wind in the day of the east wind.

9 By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up.

10 Yet the defenced city shall be desolate, and the habitation forsaken, and left like a wilderness: there shall the calf feed, and there shall he lie down, and consume the branches thereof.

11 When the boughs thereof are withered, they shall be broken off: the women come, and set them on fire: for it is a people of no understanding: therefore he that made them will not have mercy on them, and he that formed them will shew them no favour.

12 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall beat off from the channel of the river unto the stream of Egypt, and ye shall be gathered one by one, O ye children of Israel.

13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the great trumpet shall be blown, and they shall come which were ready to perish in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt, and shall worship the LORD in the holy mount at Jerusalem.

Well, I'm sure quite a few people out there must be surprised the Bible tells of dragons dwelling in the depths of the sea until the end of time that have airtight scales, breathe fire, are immune to many of man's weapons, and can play with ships.

And again, there are drawn pictures by Australian tribesmen picturing a water dragon surrounded by tribesmen attacking it, Native American tribes have ancient legends speaking of huge dragon creatures dwelling in lakes and seas, in Europe there are of course the legends of firebreathing dragons, China has the legends of scaly dragons which breathe fire...

Thoughts?

Well...It could be that Dragons exist , there many things that people not know.Let start by movies.Movie ideas must be found somewhere.So the idea is get somewhere so somebody has see it.I am not joken , just a example;Somebody is near and would likes to sit , and you draw the chair back.He gets angry you say laugh at him and tell him it is a joke.But in yourself the ideas is coming up in yourself so you actually get the idea somewhere so it is by dragons also.The world has to learn much , it is a great topic jzyehoshua !!!

Maybe there are dragons and other 'mythical' creatures. It just seems unlikely that no-one has seen one recently and been able to provide proof. Perhaps the Loch Ness Monster is one of these leviathans.

Maybe there are dragons and other 'mythical' creatures. It just seems unlikely that no-one has seen one recently and been able to provide proof. Perhaps the Loch Ness Monster is one of these leviathans.

161981[/snapback]

Well, one interesting aspect of this is how intelligent leviathans/dragons are made out to be by the Bible, they are likened to Satan several times for their evil cunning and known for their pride.

I've wondered before if the Bermuda Triangle might be a favorite hangout for leviathans :P

Cunning as they are I'd guess they're probably laying low with all the growing power of man. You've got stronger, better armed ships now that are watched by the Coast Guard, planes, cameras, satellites, etc... Revealing their existence and any signs of hostility would probably not be something they want to do.

Someone in another topic mentioned how we're exploring other planets but don't yet even know what lies in our oceans and mountains. With more submarines and ships running around though in more recent years the chances are getting higher that if there is anything out there we don't yet know about that it will be found.

I was going to mention the loch ness monster, but no one has been able to prove its existence, yet.By the way, if you did not provide that huge proof from the Bible, I think I would have deleted this topic on account of spam.Edit: Spelling error.

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Truly interesting... In the book written by Ursula Legvin, "Trilogy of the Earthsea", the main character has to confront a dragon, at one point, and the dragon is described as very, very smart, intelligent, and has the power to control you, if you look him in the eyes... Pretty much the same thing is described in The Lord Of The Rings... I don't doubt that other books with dragons in them, have similar descriptions of these huge animals...In the movie "Reign of fire", a dragon is accidentaly discovered beneath London, while digging subway tunnels... To cut the story short, this one dragon very quickly breeds (watch the movie, I won't give you details :P), and dragons take over the Earth...I also thought of Loch Ness monster when I read hte first post...Who knows, maybe there are dragons, loorking from the depths of the sea...

In the movie "Reign of fire", a dragon is accidentaly discovered beneath London, while digging subway tunnels... To cut the story short, this one dragon very quickly breeds (watch the movie, I won't give you details :D), and dragons take over the Earth...

It's like in Godzilla!

Nneh, if we assume dragons are everything the classical legends say they are, they're not very biologically likely. Something that big probably couldn't even get off the ground, let alone fly steadily, and the fire-breathing thing is just crazy.

My guess is that dragon legends started when some ancients found dinosaur skeletons and couldn't figure out what they belonged to. So, they designed dragons, and made them all fanciful because that's what people liked to do back then. Before they had proper knowledge of physics and the dynamics of flight and all that.

and also sine it is the biible , i think they are referring to SATAN the devil lucifer whatever,hmm if that where dinosaur bones must have been one of the flying ones

It would be really awesome if dragons had once existed or still exist today but I highly doubt that they ever did. It seems more likely that they are just some creative idea of story tellers to capture the audience or perhaps something that warriors created to make people think that they battled great, fire-breathing creatures and survived to tell the tale. Who knows though? Anything is possible.

well the myth of the dragons first appeared durign the dark ages, where knights and warriors raomed the land, and plus if they did exsist, we humans would not be here.

Nneh, if we assume dragons are everything the classical legends say they are, they're not very biologically likely. Something that big probably couldn't even get off the ground, let alone fly steadily, and the fire-breathing thing is just crazy.

162839[/snapback]

Actually, did you see that thing on the discovery channel? It explains how it is very likely that dragons did exist.

For flying: Every biological creature creates gas in its' stomach when it digests food, in this case, the dragon creates hydrogen, which is lighter than air. It has a second set of lungs that hold this gas, making the dragon light enough to lift off with its' awkwardly short wings.

For fire: Dragons would chew on platinum deposits, and store the platinum in a pouch in their mouths. Then using the hydrogen stored in its second lung pair, it combines hydrogen and platinum, creating fire.

I think it is very likely that dragons do or did exist.

hmmm that i don't believe would happen

For fire: Dragons would chew on platinum deposits, and store the platinum in a pouch in their mouths. Then using the hydrogen stored in its second lung pair, it combines hydrogen and platinum, creating fire.

it would be more oxygen based since pure oxygen and hydrogen burn nice and well.

Well, I may have confused hydrogen with helium, but I am not sure, I know that the element Discovery Channel said dragons were most likely to have used started with an [/i]H[/i]

Hey that is really good. But it is all prophecy. The Dragon, the devil, has all the attributes you talked about. But it is symbolic. The see represents the people as prophecy tells it in Revelation. No one can destroy the devil except God. A dragon is the word for the devil. Since the bible talks about it before any other accounts of Dragons, it is safe to say it is symbolic prophecy, but nonetheless, it is important information.

i saw maybe like 5 mintues of the program on discovery but its all hypothetical, in others words it 100% bs that as made up, so thier are no facts unless you find 100 ton skelaton with giant wings attached to it and clone the bad boy to see if it is a dragon.