xisto Community
dodgerblue

Migrating A Site to a different server

How would I achieve this?OK, I'll admit that Trap 17 is really the best free host there ever can be found, but I need more space to do all the things I want to do.So I'm considering getting a paid hosting plan at another site. I've emailed the hosting support at several sites with regards to moving my existing site to their servers.One of them said that if I gave them my FTP password and username they could do it.My question is - is this safe? Is there another way to do it? Perhaps create another FTP account? Will that be as effective? What about all the stuff in the mysql databases? How does an FTP account transfer that over?Thanks to anyone for replying. :P

I believe that you should have the both FTP accounts on here and your new site. So, i dont see any problem. Just copy your files from Xisto to your PC and paste it to your new hosting. That's it!

Yeah, okay, thanks. :PWhat about the data in the mysql databases? How do I get that over?

Go to phpMysqlAdmin, select the database and go to export tab. Select all the tables and check complete insert statments, create table and other options. On clicking 'Go' it will create a script file which contains all the sql statments for creating the tables and inserting data. Run this script on the server that you want to copy and the data will be put into the new database.Hope this helps.Cheers.

That certainly does help :D Thanks. Just a teeny weeny question :P How do I go about running the script on the server? Go to phpMyAdmin and use the Query?

I think there's an alternatives, which is that you could go to backup manager and download a backup, then go to your new host and upload the file into their cpanel backup manager which the cpanel will programme it automatically... I've never tried it b4, so maybe if you could get the confirmation of an admin...

I think there's an alternatives, which is that you could go to backup manager and download a backup, then go to your new host and upload the file into their cpanel backup manager which the cpanel will programme it automatically... I've never tried it b4, so maybe if you could get the confirmation of an admin...

161471[/snapback]

This is a good way. I've tried and it worked well. But you must know that when you unzip or extract the zipped (tar) file back to your new server the file you wanted will be much inside, it will be in public_html folder which itself is much inside the root folder, just follow and get it.

As for database, you will be able to see it as you follow the root folder, you need to copy the database and run the query at phpMyAdmin administration.

In order to do this, first you must create database using MySQL database and also username and password. And assign the user 'all the privileges' so that you can connect it to the database from your site.

Now, after running the query (which means you have to paste the whole database into the empty query form and click GO at phpMyAdmin, afterwards you must go to your site configuration and change the path, database username and password and save the configuration, it will definitely work.

I hope you can manage it. All the best!

Sorry, I want to add one more. If you are concerned about the new server owner. I suggest you host your site at Xisto.com paid hosting site at Xisto - Web Hosting.com, Xisto - Web Hosting has got one of the best hosting plans, with all features from small plans to huge plans. And I know they will be able to help you easily.

Yes, but I'm not able to afford Trap 17's rates. I'm on 150MB and free now, but if I pay, it's only 50MB of space at 10/year - and I'm switching to paid because I need more space, so it doesn't make sense.

The host I am switching to offers 250MB of space for 7.99/year. If I can persuade my dad to help me, maybe I can even afford the better plan that is 20/year for 1.5GB of webspace.

If anyone wants to check it out, it's http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you want to transfer a site from one FTP server to another you can bypass your computer.

Go to net2ftp and login to your Trap 17 FTP account. Select all of the files you want to transfer, and choose to copy them. Then, in the boxes under Transfer To Another FTP Server, fill in the details of your new FTP server. Viola! Your site is transferred.

Yes, but I'm not able to afford Trap 17's rates. I'm on 150MB and free now, but if I pay, it's only 50MB of space at 10/year - and I'm switching to paid because I need more space, so it doesn't make sense.

The host I am switching to offers 250MB of space for 7.99/year. If I can persuade my dad to help me, maybe I can even afford the better plan that is 20/year for 1.5GB of webspace.

If anyone wants to check it out, it's http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

161501[/snapback]

Yeh but it only offers 1 domain and stuff.. Trap offers loads of it and it can host VERY advanced stuff.

Also I see it offers scripts but does it have fantastc ?

You should have ask me for something tatatee... I could get you a free host way better than them... You can also try out my sig for a place where you can find great host or paid...

Or how about a web hosted in Singapore I supposed, I iknow the admin guy and he's from singapore, you offer cheap web hosting too... Check his site out: http://www.neonhq.com/

Yeh but it only offers 1 domain and stuff.. Trap offers loads of it and  it can host VERY advanced stuff.

Also I see it offers scripts but does it have fantastc ?

161695[/snapback]

Yep, I emailed their support people and they do have Fantastico. Anyways I've gone ahead and signed up already. My dad agreed so yay! I have 1500MB of webspace! Brilliant eh B) That plan has 50 addon domains so it's cool. Anyway I've got 30 days to test it out and if I don't like it I can get a refund :P

Gonna go try out the suggestions. Thanks Dragonfly and rvalkass. If the rep points thing was fixed I'd give you both rep points! :D But alas it's not so I suppose you'll just have to be content with the thought B) hehe

hmm, just pm you, but during this 30 days I may bombared you with tons of free host providing more than 1.5 gig of spaces and cpanel included... anyway, hope you well with your new host! :P