xisto Community
odomike

PHPBB2 Forum Bug This bug is messing up my forums

Hi guys,

I recently encountered a bug in my forums which i think is due to a mod i must have installed in my forums. Look at the pic below and tell me what i can do about that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my forums 3 times now due to forum bugs and i dont wanna keep on doing that everytime and loosing my members and all that.

Please help me with that.

Here is the picture of the debug message i get from my forum whenever i try to view a posted topic od whenever someone wants to register in my forums.

Posted Image

So, what can i do about that?

tsk.tsk.tsk... tough one you got there odomike. you using the cpanel installation?or is your phpbb a modded-phpbb (like pr3mo, or something...)? if it's the mod thatis causing you all the trouble, then you might just have to get rid of that mod.if that mod is essential to the forum you have, then try to test it first on yourlocal machine before installing it on your LIVE forum. it's bad to mess up a working live forum because of a wayward mod.

tsk.tsk.tsk... tough one you got there odomike. you using the cpanel installation?

or is your phpbb a modded-phpbb (like pr3mo, or something...)? if it's the mod that

is causing you all the trouble, then you might just have to get rid of that mod.

if that mod is essential to the forum you have, then try to test it first on your

local machine before installing it on your LIVE forum. it's bad to mess up a

working live forum because of a wayward mod.

I am using the Cpanel installation for my PHPBB forum. I aint using any a modded one. Thanks for your advice on testing the forum on my local machine libs2day. I posted this same problem at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and I was adviced by one of the members to get a soft called easyphp. It is used for testing your php forums in your local comp before uploading to your remote comp. I am downloading it right now and i am going to make sure that the same problem does not repeat again.

And I am installing my mods with a soft called easymod. I downloaded it from PHPBB.com's mods website. It simplifies mod installations and installs your mods within seconds instaed of the strenous processes of mod installation.

Stay Kool :)

:D i use easyphp also... but that was before i discovered xammp. :)
i like it better than easyphp, and has more components included and
not limited to just php-mysql-apache. i find easyphp encumbering to use :D

here's a list of IMPORTANT xammp-included components:
Apache HTTPD, MySQL, PHP, Perl, FileZilla FTP Server, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, Freetype, Webalizer, mod_perl, Turck MMCache, mcrypt, SQLite, JpGraph, Mercury Mail Transport System, PHPBlender PHP Compiler.

i test my local site using xammp first, before i upload it online.
here is my active site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

download xammp instead. get it here. but still try easyphp to see if you can be comfortable with it. :)

good luck with your local testing B)

Thanks so much Libs2day for the link and advice. I guess i am gonna be running both easyphp and xammp in my comp to know which one is better annd more friendly. I will remove the other one later on.Thanks once again.

can someone please explain to me how to use either XAMMP or EASYPHP? i have downloaded the 2 softs but i dont really know how to use any o f them. I am stuck now.Someone please help me.

i suppose you downloaded the xammp for windows... here is some initial reading
material on installation and use.

https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

note: b4 using xammp, turn off other apps which use the same port as what
xammp uses. like me for example, i use PWS (Personal Web Server) for local
testing of asp/html files. when i want to use xammp for local testing of PHP,
i disable PWS.

just holler if you still can't get the hang of it. :)
(PM me if you have a new post for help as well since i don't track this post,
and i get to read it only when it get's on top of the heap).

Thanks for the link libs2day. I will PmM you whenever i try to use the programme and encounter more problems. Right now, I am really comfused about what next to do after I have installed the soft. It is realy giving me a gr8 deal of headache.

Just remember not to download the CVS release of phpBB 2.2.. That is of course unless you know php very well. It is a Very buggy beta, I use it on my forums at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and because it is a CVS release i have had many problems with it. The Most recent was the ACP had a parse error and the forums were pretty much useless. Which isnt a good thing....

The full 2.2 should be out near Christmas, but that is just my guess.

Just remember not to download the CVS release of phpBB 2.2.. That is of course unless you know php very well. It is a Very buggy beta, I use it on my forums at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and because it is a CVS release i have had many problems with it.  The Most recent was the ACP had a parse error and the forums were pretty much useless. Which isnt a good thing....
The full 2.2 should be out near Christmas, but that is just my guess.

I have my forums running well now. I am running a test with another forum i installed and which is online now so that i wont have to mess up the main forums again.

Thanks for your advice Nexdesigns. It is well noted.