xisto Community
k2wl

Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

today i start my pc in windows xp and found that xp freezes at welcome screen.then i try to boot in safe mode but the problem persisitsthen i again try in last good configuration setting but it doesn't help so i hav to reinstall my xp plz any body hav solution for this so that i do not hav to reinstall my xp for this problem as i get this problem oftenly. thanks

Do you have it so that you have to enter a password to logon to your computer? If so, disabling that may help. If you don't know how go to your Control Panel and click on User Accounts, click on your username and finally click on Remove my Password.This is the only "solution" I know for this problem. I don't have it even though I require a password to logon. Hope it helps some. Later.

ok, well i a question right of the back, How long did you wait for the computer to keep working? (like when it froze). If you waited for about 5-10 mins.. then i dont know any otther way to get into the machine.But if you could, run msconfig, just go to start-> Run->msconfig->ENTER Then go to startup or services, and you can disable some of them, that you have no idea were they even came from, this is what i think that could help. But if it just freezes, maybe you just installed something that doesnt let your machine start up correctly.

Do you have it so that you have to enter a password to logon to your computer? If so, disabling that may help. If you don't know how go to your Control Panel and click on User Accounts, click on your username and finally click on Remove my Password.

This is the only "solution" I know for this problem. I don't have it even though I require a password to logon. Hope it helps some. Later.

160905[/snapback]

if it freezes at the welcome screen how the heck can he get to cpanel dude... the canel comes after the welcome screen, when he said welcome screen he means when it starts up and says "welcome". And you cant remove your password when ur logging in, u have to go to user cpanel and delete it there

Btw here is another solution, you may of setup so u have more then 1 account on ur xp so you have to pick a account to go on desktop, and if u did accounts can be passworded

Few questions before I ramble about my theory:1) did you install/update any software/driver before this happened?2) when freezes, do you see any sign of hdd light flashing?3) how do you restart? (unplugging or press and holding power button for 3-5 seconds)I guess the best way to fix Windows faulty boot is to insert your Windows XP start up disc. After the utility loads up (the famous blue screen) select the option to repair. Go to the command line and type chkdsk /f or you may let Windows fix the problem automatically--this option is before you get to the command line. If chkdsk /f does not help, try chkdsk /rUsually when Windows XP cannot load, inserting the start up utility and letting it to fix Windows files only it will leave all other data intact.Let us know how it goes.

I have the exam same problem and i tried chkdsk /r, it strted scanning then something interesting happened, it came up to 74% and then went back down to 50%, then went back up again to 74% than back to 50% and so on. So i just restarted it and the same problem continues.

k2wl - did u fix it?

any ideas?

thank you

Few questions before I ramble about my theory:

1) did you install/update any software/driver before this happened?

2) when freezes, do you see any sign of hdd light flashing?

3) how do you restart? (unplugging or press and holding power button for 3-5 seconds)

I guess the best way to fix Windows faulty boot is to insert your Windows XP start up disc. After the utility loads up (the famous blue screen) select the option to repair. Go to the command line and type chkdsk /f or you may let Windows fix the problem automatically--this option is before you get to the command line. If chkdsk /f does not help, try chkdsk /r

Usually when Windows XP cannot load, inserting the start up utility and letting it to fix Windows files only it will leave all other data intact.

Let us know how it goes.

162955[/snapback]

is there any hardware you can temp disconnect to rule that out.you need only the basics of the pc connected.power supplymotherboardramprocessorfanhddmousekeyboardscreenif you have a motherboard with onboard graphics , with a separate graphics card plugged in , then unplug graphics card and use on board graphicsunplug any usb hardwareremove any sound cards , modems , etcunplug ribbon cable slave hdd ... you may need to alter links on master hdd if it doesnt boot past hdd detection phaseunplug ribbon cable from cdromsnow try and rebootif it still wont boot then try another hddif that fails thenyou will have to reinstall xp

Try inserting a "non-automated" (standard) slipstreamed with the service pack you have. And try a "repair" install (It should come up with a list with "Windows XP Professional (Or home)") And the list comes up right after the "Detecting Any Previous Version of Windows" on the progress bar

mmm.. did you overclocking your computer?, if so and you have usb devices like mouse, then, try unplug it first and retry. if that not help, you may need to undo overclocking first, then, try reboot your computer as usually to see if it help. :) - hope this help

I had to register and reply to this thread since this is a problem I have just encountered and have never seen before. Ive been a computer technician for 3 years so I was surprised to find a problem I couldnt fix. Here are some details to what exactly happens:1. Upon booting the computer everything runs fine (but slow, extremely slow) till you approach the welcome screen. The second you press any key on your keyboard the screen APPEARS to freeze. Heres what got me, the mouse freezes, but the blinking line for text input continues to blink. In addition, pressing the power button will shutdown the computer. Any previous instances when Ive encountered a FROZEN computer, simply pressing the power button fails to shutdown. You have to hold the button in order to perform an emergency shutdown.2. It is possible to boot into safemode, probably just as simple to login so long as you do not have to type. However, the second you press ANY KEY, it "freezes".3. I was able to use the On Screen Keyboard provided by Microsoft and downloaded HijackThis, along with some misc. antiviral and spyware programs. HijackThis presented some confusing programs and I accordingly removed them from startup and any BHO's I was concerned with. Upon rebooting, it froze.4. The keyboard was plugged into the PS2 slot, so I tried a USB keyboard...since it requires drivers it was not registering at the Welcome screen. So I tried another PS2 keyboard, same result.At this point I believe it is necessary to format and reinstall, but I am so perplexed by this dilemna, what is causing the screen to either appear frozen, or actually freeze? Since no programs load by the Welcome screen, I believe it is a hardware problem. Someone mentioned overclocking and that could definitely be a cause. Improper ventilation may cause section of the computer to shutdown and/or become inoperative. Either way, since this is the #1 result on Google, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and recommend a format/reinstalltion of the OS. Since I have yet to do it myself to see if the problem persists, it may be useless and you may need a new computer at this point.-Armyguy

I have kind of a same problem. if you all know the little trick on automatic login, start->run->control userpasswords2. yeah, I did this, and when I try to boot my pc, it gets stuck on the welcom screen. I waited like ten min, still nothing. whats wrong? if this helps, it displays two windows for a split second before the welcome screen (and the computer beeps).

If you can?t log in to your OS then maybe it could be a problem with the hard drive and it won?t let you in? but you could try getting a 'live' version of Linux that you can run off a cd, and then try to access your hard drive, if that works then you could always try to install that version of Linux, and a version called slax im not sure if it is in all but slax allows you to install to ram if you have only 128, or to the hard drive. I hope I may have helped you, but this is exactly what I did to get my other computer to work.

I am like 99% sure it is a harddrive issue. It sounds like the hard drive is about to fail. You will need to goto another computer and download a disk scanner that runs on the command prompt and a boot disk for the command prompt. The easiest one would be to download win98 boot disk and scandisk from win98.run the scan disk to check for surface errors. i am willing to bet your harddrive will have a lot of bad sectors.if not. reinstall windows. no way around it.

I am like 99% sure it is a harddrive issue. It sounds like the hard drive is about to fail.

Few questions before I ramble about my theory:1) did you install/update any software/driver before this happened?
2) when freezes, do you see any sign of hdd light flashing?
3) how do you restart? (unplugging or press and holding power button for 3-5 seconds)

I'm on 50 50 agree on both no9t9 and BuffaloHELP. I can't think of any other possible reasons that could cause your problems. Answer BuffaloHELP's questions so we can proceed the troubleshooting further, otherwise if all fails, the harddrive could be failing like what no9t9 said. You case is worst when the problem remains even you tried booting in Safe Mode.

As for suggestions posted by the rest, I was wondering how would k2wl execute your suggestions if he is not able to boot successfully into Windows desktop? He stated in his first post that he got stuck when the Welcome screen showed. He can't even login properly into his local account into his desktop. Hence suggestions like click START > RUN > whatsoever would not possibly work.