xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cadilac

Hide Desktop Items how to

Yo I Saw a guy hide all his desktop items but leaving like rycycle bin only or ne other icon without removing any thing from his desktop just hiding i was wondering if neone know how to do this

Notice from snlildude87:
*refers to the word in BOLDED RED at the forum index*:

TOPIC names and DESCRIPTIONS are very important. Make them EXTREMELY meaningful and Sensible.

*changed topic name accordingly*

Next time I remind you will be a real warning

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I dont know about older versions, but windows xp can do that. Usually when you buy a new pc, now-a-days, the desktop only has only a few things on it, and you can tell windows to have items not shown, to show on desktop if you want it to.

Yo I Saw a guy hide all his desktop items but leaving like rycycle bin only or ne other  icon without removing any thing from his desktop just hiding i was wondering if neone know how to do this

Notice from snlildude87:
*refers to the word in BOLDED RED at the forum index*:

TOPIC names and DESCRIPTIONS are very important. Make them EXTREMELY meaningful and Sensible.

*changed topic name accordingly*

Next time I remind you will be a real warning

159947[/snapback]

Old version of windows cant do that tricks unless you delete the icon from the desktop.

Windows xp and later version of windows can hide any icon in your desktop. Just right your start menu and go to properties and explore it. you will learn many tricks from there, hide icons, hide inactive icons and specify which icon appear in your desktop....

Hiding icons are easy, it's not really a trick either.Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Hide Desktop Icons.All it does it make your folders/files/icons invisible. All you gatta do is;Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons(or Hide again) to undo that.

Hiding icons are easy, it's not really a trick either.

Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Hide Desktop Icons.

All it does it make your folders/files/icons invisible. All you gatta do is;

Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons(or Hide again) to undo that.

160012[/snapback]

well,what you said above is really a wise way to come true hiding icon B) .certainly if you want to hide the whole desktop,what i mean is that not only to hide icon but also the start menu and task bar,showing only a wallpaper.you kill task explorer.exe through taskmgmt(you can use this kind of status before your leave and keep from other's operation on your pc). :P

hi,It can be done in XP as mentioned above. For other versions of windows, generally there are tweaking freeware/shareware available like TweakXP for XP.Or else if you are comfortable with changing the registry.. there are tweaks available over the internet (just use google) to do quite a few interesting things. before you make the change make sure you backup that folder and its entries using export. To revert back just double click the backup file(.reg) and the entries would be back in...Meddle with registry at ur own risk.There is a tweak which prevents the logged in users from shutting down the system. i.e., when he presses the shut down button.. it shows a message that 'you do not have sufficient privileges, please contact your administrator'. I had fun with this tweak long time back.. would post it here if I remember it / find it....Cheers.

Hiding icons are easy, it's not really a trick either.

Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Hide Desktop Icons.

All it does it make your folders/files/icons invisible. All you gatta do is;

Right click your desktop > Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons(or Hide again) to undo that.

160012[/snapback]

i know that but a guy does the same process that u do on xp but leaves one icon standing he usualy leaves the game that he's gonna play, i was asking him alot but he wouldn't tell me :P

I can't understand the point of doing this, but I do have a theory as to how you can do it:Perhaps he just drags the icons off of the side of the screen, then when he wants them back he just orders them by soemthing and they all reappear. Magic!

I you whant to hide only some files then click on file with right botton, then click properties, then you can see windows ! In this windows u can see one option coled hide clicck on it! Then answer Yes! And it is done!

There's another way is to right click on the icon or file and click on Properties. The attributes at the bottom has HIDDEN. Check it and click ok. the file should be hidden. To undo just go to any folder click tools and folder options, click on VIEW tab, and click on SHOW hidden files and folders. Now you can see the file or folder just right click and properties and unclick the hidden.as you can see its a hassle.

I can't understand the point of doing this

160213[/snapback]

Neither can I, but to hide icons you can right click on your desktop and click the button that says 'arrange icons by..' then click 'show desktop icons'.

To get them back, simply do it again..

Then if you dont want the start bar then you get rid of that by dragging it down.

If you want to get it back you can drag it back up..

How to make desktop (or any) folder icons disappear, but still be able to use them.Hide Desktop Items

create the 'new folder' on desktop / right click on the name to select it like you are going to change it, type:  ALT (holding down the alt key) 0160 and the name disappears.  To get rid of the folder icon, right click on the icon, then click on the customize tab, then change icon, scroll to the right and select one of the empty spaces, voila.

-reply by Betty

Iguest said;

How to make desktop (or any) folder icons disappear, but still be able to use them.Hide Desktop Items

create the 'new folder' on desktop / right click on the name to select it like you are going to change it, type:  ALT (holding down the alt key) 0160 and the name disappears.  To get rid of the folder icon, right click on the icon, then click on the customize tab, then change icon, scroll to the right and select one of the empty spaces, voila.

This works fine - but how on earth do you access the folder afterwards? You may as well just delete the icons.

Dennis

-reply by Dennis

well for me in order to hind a folder, i would allow the folder to be there but you can't see it. for example, unlike hidden folders you can actually click on the folder, you only have to know where you left it. to do this you first have to create a folder on the desktop. once you have created the folder, right click it then go to properties. in properties click on the "customize" tab. Under that tab click on "change icon". a lot of images will come out. all you have to do is scroll down all the different icon until you find an empty space. click on this empty space then your icon with be nothing. click ok to close off the settings. although you have made the folder icon "hidden" you still have the problems of the words naming the folder. people don't normally know this but the space that you place between words is in fact recognized as a character. hence you can make you folder name into a space which will not display any letters. you can do this by right clicking on the folder then going to "rename". delete the name that the folder has then hold on the Alt button while typing in the numbers 255. the computer will recognize this as a space and will accept it. now you folder is fully hidden.