xisto Community
serverph

Broadband Over Power Line Standard Coming Move over Wi-Fi

Broadband over power line standard coming

Move over Wi-Fi, broadband over power lines, which allows people to get Internet access simply by plugging into the electrical outlet on their wall, could become the next super-easy way to connect to the Net.

http://news.a.com.com/

wall street journal also reports: Google, partners to back broadband venture

/home

NEW YORK, July 7 (Reuters) - Google Inc. (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research), Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Hearst Corp. are investing about $100 million in Current Communications Group, a start-up that offers high-speed Internet connections over electricity lines, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

that's more like it! :D google brings in a much-needed boost to this developing standard, and soon we will be enjoying broadband the easy way. :unsure: just plug-and-surf!

:P What next?I guess internet can't get more advanced from this point, Only Quicker!Could then be a standard in every house to have a internet capable point in every room just like a powerpoint!Need to get rid of paying for the line, and pay just for the plan, that way you can have other people use your line when there around and stuff. ah well, Life can only get better...Sits awaits for the worlds computers to go bang, and Cry! :unsure:

There are already plans, albeit very vague ones, to give every member of the population a computer, linked to a broadband connection and a huge nationwide network. This will allow people to report problems to local councils, get medical advice and book appointments with their GP, get tourist information, anything that is vaguely related to public services and the government. I think it is a great idea and should be put into the homes of housebound people immediately, even if it can only be used to call for assistance.If the government would make the broadband network public owned (e.g. not owned by separate companies) prices would drop and it would be very easy to give everyone broadband. Greed stops so many good ideas...

Sadly, thats how this world operates, maybe one day what you say will become a reality.More along the lines of a panel in the wall. Like those in the movie "The 5th Element".Even in transport, you can now have online tickets machine hooked by braodband to a server location. Like online credits sorta thing. Imagine the future with broadband, how many people would bother going out then?

WiFi is not going anywhere! There is a big difference between enjoying your broadband connection (through existing power lines) at home and relaxing in your back yard with a huge power chord hanging from your laptop!
Wireless technology is the future of networking, but in this case, there is no point of making things more complicated for end users when everybody has a power plug in their home that can be used as a device to access an high speed internet connection!

Unfortunately, I think that this will be a bit tricky to perform... A single power line will be used by many home users... is this technology able to give so much bandwidth? What about the wires themselves? In some cities, power lines are quite damaged and may cause a major decrease in surfing speed! What about lightning storms? How much will this equipment cost if it has to keep running even when the power through those power lines is very unstable? Allot of problems have to be solved before this technology steps into our homes...

By the way, transferring data through power lines is not a major discovery! The Home Plug 1.0.1 standard transfers data through power lines at a frequency of about 4MHz and up to 21MHz, while the power itself is still able to be transferred through the power lines at a frequency of 50Hz (in some countries, itÂs 60Hz). There is a big difference between 50Hz and 21000000Hz, therefore, data should travel through the power lines without any problems.

This standard is already implemented! Take a look at the MSI Ethernet to Powerline HomePlug Adapter:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It can support data rates up to 14Mbps and it also supports 56-bit data encryption! Pretty neat, huh?

Unfortunately, I read somewhere that these power adapters tend to heat up. And that's not the only thing that is wrong with it... The data rate dramatically decreases if the wiring in your house is not in a good condition, or if the distance between the two adapters increase. Some users complained that the connection is very unstable if you plug in and turn on a vacuum cleaner somewhere in the house!

However, this is a good choice for users that don't want to drill holes in their houses just to connect two computers together!

I am all for this kind of internet, even though it's already invented since my birthyear.... I mean, why havn't they implemented it yet? Because it's expensive to install....And therefore I am totally for this option of internet so I can finally kick the bucket on my government ISP who is charging me right now 300USD a month just to "enjoy" 128kbit/32kbit internet which barely even functions....If googlebots read this, please buy curacao and use it as a testing facility :unsure:

omg..such a genius invention ... man i would love to hv that..all we need to do is plug it into a power point! how good is that .. lol now days its rare to see wi-fi spot around and i guess in the future..its hard to even find a bloddy power plug hahah

Although Broadband over powerline may be the hype of today, the same can not be said about tomorrow.Since Broadband over powerline is capped at a rate of 14mbps, 20mbps max, it will not become the future.The future demands a strong baseline of speed, and the traditional DSL and 56k has it. No not copperwires, but Fiber Optics.Cable has already adopted to these standards.Although many residential cable connections are capped at 3mps-6mbps, its full capactity speed is at 100mbps. Your comcast internet cable provider is just limiting your speed!Imagine this: the fastest broadband known today is cable.1) OC-28, OC-Lines (Up to 1GB of transfer) -- Cable.2) Residential Cable (Fiber Optics) Up to 100MBPS -- Cable.3) Governmental Labatory Internet (Fiber Optics) Up to 1 TB -- Cable.

Still...having an alternative to the best solutions is always good. Just look at my island, we got wireless and modems and ADSL....and all are capped at 128kbit/32kbit and laggy and all cost 300USD a month....now if we could actually make use of the power cables....

wow first ive heard o dis man this will cut down on bills for internet cuz the companies wont have to run xtra lines plus it will b easier for us since we can just have some contraption that plugs into a wall and make an instant 10/100 plug or w/ewhen this coems out im gonna get it

Still i am using dial up 56k... DSL is still expensive here... although i think it's cheap but i don't have a job yet.. 512 kbps is probably... 50 bucks or 25 bucks...

This is old technology. If my memory chip is still working it's called carrier through the mains. I also saw it in one of my electronic magazines from the 70s so it's nothing really new. In the magazine it shows you how to construct a doorbell and button in which the button is connected to the mains, sending the activation signal to the doorbell without a need for more cables.

Broadband over the power lines is not new technology at all, only the availability to the average consumer is new. most countries have the massive copper network that is provided by the power suppliers that is why they are now looking at utilizing this means of delivery of higher speed broadband to the consumer. In OZ its been trialed in Tasmania for several years now in a suburb the local communications giant TELSTRA didn't want anything to do with.... Now the entire community has high speed internet, voip, and TV on Demand all via their power lines.The OZ Govt has also made a large push for the general public to have access to Broadband services by way of rebates and incentives to ISP's to supply technology to their customers at a reasonable rate, insuring that all consumers have the opportunity to run high speed internet from their home. We've just taken up the opportunity for Broadband satellite where I live as the Power company in my area has not started the roll out of their service yet and TELSTRA's ADSL network will never reach our house due to limits on the the local exchange and also the distance that ADSL will comfortably work.Personally though I see Wi Fi and other wireless technologies taking over the home users preferred choice of Internet service, it just makes more sence to pay for one service that you will be able to use anywhere, weather it be at home in your bedroom or at the town library or while your away on holidays at your favorite camping for beach spot....For more info on the Power Line internet service check out Aurora Energy or Seltel, alternatively check out the new Next G service from TELSTRA not that I like the company but the product is good. (Used to work for them so maybe I'm a little bias)