xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound

Hurricane Dennis & The Environment More devestation to come?

In the Cayman Islands, where I'm from and living right now, we are preparing for another hurricane. As I write this, people around the island are getting nervous and getting all their preparations done. After the devestation to the island when category 5 hurricane Ivan hit here last September, people are afraid. Right now, the storm is supposed to go North, but that's exactly what Ivan was supposed to to last year, just before it turned South and... ouch.

So, are hurricane seasons getting worse? I haven't done much research on the subject to find out what the professionals think, but I do believe that the changing environment, whether changed by man or not, are continuously changing around the world and will bring greater climate change and natural disasters in the future. I fear for Cayman because it's a very low-lying island. A hurricane can do a lot of damage, but there were also earthquakes last year. If there's another earthquake nearby that may be able to create a tsunami, it will destroy virtually all of the developed parts of the island.

I know that in various places around the world last year, there were many phenomenons of weather and climate. I often am reminded of the message given by the movie "Day After Tomorrow." I wonder if before my life is over, if this climate trend will reverse, or just get worse until an ice-age.

What have been the changes where you live? Do you think that things are going to keep getting worse? And do you think that Man is the culprit?

I've noticed a lot of temperature records being broken like crazy in the last few years. Both weather and animal behaviour has changed from just 10 years ago, enough that with me being only 20 I can notice the change. It's coming very rapidly and I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more attention then it has. Global warming and all the negative effects man's inventions/habits are having on the planet have something to do with it I'm sure, but me being me, I can't dispel the notion that it may simply be the end of times approaching.I think not only this but the general nature of people will keep changing for the worse until a cataclysmic judgement can no longer be put off any longer.

for me its hard to tell spent a year in a desert so im glad to see rain and all that but yeah i agree global warming is an issue but for mankind to be totally screwed it will take thousands of years, cuz water and food have to be the first things to get destroyed as like undrinkable water and non eatable food. but with hurricanes and earth quakes and stuff like that, it happens over time so you can its its just a matter of time before it becomes destructive.